British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Stechlin

Scottish Charles I Two Pence?

Hi

This question should be a case for Scottishmoney, because the only similar coin I found in the web and elsewhere was a picture on his website.

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney/coins/charlesi.html

But its only similar, for example in the obverse legend, here starting with CAR instead of CRD. So is this a scottish Charles I Two Pence coin or something different? The coin has a diameter of 16 mm and weights 13,1 grain (0,85 gramm). As always, I`m grateful for every answer.

Holger

post-4127-1210420794_thumb.jpg

This is a case where I have to explain that the coin in my page there is a fake, a contemporary counterfeit, which accounts for the jumbled legend etc. Yours is the real McCoy so to speak, S-5598a with the lozenges on both sides as mintmarks. Yours is the so called "English Crown" variety, as the crown on the obverse over the cipher is more closely resembling the English regnal crown and not the Scottish. This variety was first issued in 1632, and was authorized for the Earl of Stirling to strike. Because of the crown on the piece being "English" the design was modified a couple of years later to one more closely resembling a Scottish crown. An authentic or counterfeit coin in this grade are worth about the same, somewhere about £25. I have several other authentic and counterfeit pieces from this Earl of Stirling coinage that I am going to image sometime and put on the site whence I get my scanner working or get another one.

This is a case where I have to explain that the coin in my page there is a fake, a contemporary counterfeit, which accounts for the jumbled legend etc. Yours is the real McCoy so to speak, S-5598a with the lozenges on both sides as mintmarks. Yours is the so called "English Crown" variety, as the crown on the obverse over the cipher is more closely resembling the English regnal crown and not the Scottish. This variety was first issued in 1632, and was authorized for the Earl of Stirling to strike. Because of the crown on the piece being "English" the design was modified a couple of years later to one more closely resembling a Scottish crown. An authentic or counterfeit coin in this grade are worth about the same, somewhere about £25. I have several other authentic and counterfeit pieces from this Earl of Stirling coinage that I am going to image sometime and put on the site whence I get my scanner working or get another one.

Great answer, thank you. I’m afraid meanwhile I owe a few pints here for you and others.

Scottish Money, I am struggling to get my head around all the different varieties of the bodle. I now have seven of them and in the main they (one way or another) all have the familiar thistle on the reverse and different variations of a crown, the CR monogram and a roman numerals I or II on the obverse. My latest bodle however has a crossed sword and sceptre (dated 1678) under the crown.

In short how many varieties are there and is there a comprehensive guide available?

Scottish Money, I am struggling to get my head around all the different varieties of the bodle. I now have seven of them and in the main they (one way or another) all have the familiar thistle on the reverse and different variations of a crown, the CR monogram and a roman numerals I or II on the obverse. My latest bodle however has a crossed sword and sceptre (dated 1678) under the crown.

In short how many varieties are there and is there a comprehensive guide available?

I have references personally that go all the way back to 1878, the problem is, when you lay them all out and look at each monarch, there are varieties in one reference not in another, and vice versa. There really is nothing approaching comprehensive. It is actually more concise with the 17th century, but I myself own varieties of the bodles, and many variant Alex III and David II coins not as yet catalogued in every work.

899682.jpg

While you're all on things Scottish, What is your opinion of this coin. I've been told, variously, that it is a half merk, a bawbee and a two pence. One side is almost flat. but the specs are - Diameter 14.8mm Weight 1gm.

First one I have seen with a crown and a thistle on the same side!

It has to be said however that the other side does look like the moon - lol! I am sure you will agree ;)

With a strong Magnifier and tilting the coin in various ways, I managed to make out CAROLUS on the 'moon' side. So Charles seems to be the issuer and a two pence the value but intriguing non the less. :P

It is a XX or 20 pence coin, minted ca. 1632-1639 or so. Not enough detail to give you a variety though.

Thanks for that Scottishmoney! Now I can finalise my catalogue entry (without the question marks) :D