British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy Aitken

New 2 Pence

Now this is the kind of toning that I love:1908-DbarberPCGS64.jpg and...1948Peso.jpg this!! :D

Edited by william

They are wonderful!

Well they use those grades on slabbed coins, but dealers over their refer to those grades anyhow for unslabbed pieces.

Although i'd be hard pushed to actually be able to assign any of those grades to a coin if i had to grade it.

I suppose i would grade it with the British system and then convert into the US system.

you guys really like those?

They scream AT to me.

Yes, I would grade in the British way, and then convert it! :) Yep, I like those two that I posted above!

What are the bets on that they are Artificially Toned? :D

(cooked in an oven or something or left wrapped in tissue paper, not wrapped in tissue paper whilst in the oven though.) Americans pay more for toned coins as a rule.

I on the other hand either like em white or shades of grey. I can't be doing with all this colour, looks fake.

What are the bets on that they are Artificially Toned? :D

(cooked in an oven or something or left wrapped in tissue paper, not wrapped in tissue paper whilst in the oven though.) Americans pay more for toned coins as a rule.

I on the other hand either like em white or shades of grey. I can't be doing with all this colour, looks fake.

I don't mind a little bit of colour, I have a really nice VF 1889 crown with beautiful prooflike coloured toning, and it looks GREAT! I also like the ones I posted above, but I hate things like this:

1956FRHPCGS65FBL.jpg

i like this kinda toning... ;)

post-17-1082890383_thumb.jpg

Yes, that does look nice, but I do like toning as well. Sylvester, do you like that bluish toning you sometimes get on silver coins?

William

I like blue toning (i hate Magenta as a rule, but gothic crowns can look alright with it).

I kinda like this blue...

post-17-1082890722_thumb.jpg

1956FRHPCGS65FBL.jpg

... :blink: looks like it has been through the holocaust :D ...i would say it would be nice if it was 1756 rather then 1956...but still...i like the blue toning, and i love the toning found on pennies.

I just found some really nice blue toned coins on the net:1913nickmo.gif1913nickmr.gif

And look at this one:1804dollmo.gif1804dollmr.gif

Beautiful, aren't they?

i like Liberty nickels (see post above)

And this one is a bust something or other, dollar? half?

To be honest I don't remember - I know nothing about American coins! :unsure:

Eugh, those rainbow coins are awful. Why are they all American?!

you're onto something there Oli.

The reason we don't get toning like that is because we store them more sensibly!

I think these coins are a waste of niceness:

175470309o.jpg

175391604o.jpg

I think that those coins are wonderful.

They are vulgar! Rainbow toning like that isn't natural, as Sylvester said, they don't store them right. We Brits would probably get "wonderful" toning like that if we stored them the way they do, but we have sense so we don't!

So do I, they look great, but my fave type of toning is blue toning! :D

the coin would look fabulous (spelling?), but i do think that the rainbow towning has made it look cheapish...

The Queen Anne one is quite nice (the one with least rainbow!) and that toning brings it out perfectly however once the rainbow effect comes in it's revolting

I can see where you are coming from Oli, if only American's adopted our storage methods rather than sending them off to be slabbed and graded like somthing with a label!

No, slabbing wouldn't get that kind of toning. I've contemplated slabbing my better coins but decided against it, purely because of cost.