British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coppers

Oxford Collection

An exceptionally fine collection of farthings is being offered for sale by Neil Paisley with some seldom seen rarities including a Cromwell pattern farthing.

Oxford Collection

Nice stuff and excellent price data for me.

There are an awful lots of coins there described as 'BU almost full lustre' that I would call UNC because they have toning or marks preventing them from being BU. Does anyone agree that the term BU seems to be used a bit too frequently there?

Does anyone agree that the term BU seems to be used a bit too frequently there?

Very much so.

There are an awful lots of coins there described as 'BU almost full lustre' that I would call UNC because they have toning or marks preventing them from being BU. Does anyone agree that the term BU seems to be used a bit too frequently there?

Chris,

I agree, I got really excited by the list, but some of the coins were not what I had pictured from the description BU Full Lustre. Although it is always difficult to capture lustre on a photo, I have my doubts, but still some nice coins in there, just got to persuade my wife to let me have a spend now!!

Yes lustre can be hard to capture, but I noticed a 'BU almost as struck' with a finger print. That can't be right.

Nice coins though, as you say.

Completely agree, but you know my feelings on the term 'uncirculated' anyway. In my view, they should have used the percentage system (e.g. AU50/75 etc.). In my opinion, the quality of the image just isn't able to tell you enough about coins in these high grades. Not certain how you can have a 'black BU' as by sheer definition, an artificially toned coin is designed not to be brilliant!

As you say, nice coins though.

Yes, UNC means no wear but BU (as introduced by the Royal Mint in the 80s I believe for their UNC year sets) has come to mean no wear and full lustre. A tiny weeny bit of toning could possibly still scrape in as BU if the mint bloom is still there, but a coin with a finger print or any other area where there is no lustre or uneven lustre cannot be BU.

There are some coins on that list that are practically completely brown with lustre in the lower parts and they are still described as something involving the term 'BU'.

I hate to moan about it but I've had issues in the past with 'Colin Cooke' grading.

Don't complain Neil, it's just an opinion and I'll leave the link to your website above!

Hi,

Chris I am surprised you have had issues with CC grading in the past. I have always thought he was

spot on, or a little harsh. One good benchmark has been with pedigreed coins. His grade has almost always been the same

or usually lower than previous sellers / auction houses.

Farthings in particular bring problems to high end grading. I have coins that I have bought as B.U., catalogued into my

collection as B.U. (and I think I am strict!), then taken a high res. photo in a certain light, and they almost go into the 'cull' pile.

Many, if not most, of Colin's own collection looked far better in hand than in the sale photos.

The general high standard of this collection makes me think that they will look good in hand.

Perhaps we need a new grade, looks BU at x30.

None of which would excuse a missed fingerprint, let Niel know which coin and I am sure he will look again.

Looking at the collection, I wish I was in a rich time! Oh well.

Teg

Hi,

Chris I am surprised you have had issues with CC grading in the past. I have always thought he was

spot on, or a little harsh. One good benchmark has been with pedigreed coins. His grade has almost always been the same

or usually lower than previous sellers / auction houses.

Farthings in particular bring problems to high end grading. I have coins that I have bought as B.U., catalogued into my

collection as B.U. (and I think I am strict!), then taken a high res. photo in a certain light, and they almost go into the 'cull' pile.

Many, if not most, of Colin's own collection looked far better in hand than in the sale photos.

The general high standard of this collection makes me think that they will look good in hand.

Perhaps we need a new grade, looks BU at x30.

None of which would excuse a missed fingerprint, let Niel know which coin and I am sure he will look again.

Looking at the collection, I wish I was in a rich time! Oh well.

Teg

Teg,

There are a few there that take my fancy also!! Decisions decisions.........

I have to agree on the comments about farthing grading also, some look initially great in the hand, have a closer look and the difference is staggering.

Edited by Colin G.

Cirtainly a fine collection. I had placed a bid of £90 on both the 1953 2+A and 2+A Proof, but I've sadly been outbid.

I detest the Black Finish Farthings, but the Edward VII ones here took my fancy, so I've bid on some of them instead.

I agree with Chris that BU is being used quite a lot. It may just be the picture quality, however.

Cirtainly a fine collection. I had placed a bid of £90 on both the 1953 2+A and 2+A Proof, but I've sadly been outbid.

I detest the Black Finish Farthings, but the Edward VII ones here took my fancy, so I've bid on some of them instead.

I agree with Chris that BU is being used quite a lot. It may just be the picture quality, however.

You didn't miss the the proof by much as it sold for £100. Did anyone else have any better luck in Neil's auction?

JMD,

I have a 1953 2+A Proof farthing available. Do you want it for £90.00?