British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

DaveG38

Question for Chris

Hi All,

I have now about finished my book on 20th century bronze coin varieties. However, I have a small issue that I wonder if anybody can help with. When it comes to decimal bronze, I have, I think, established most of the varieties for the 1/2p, 1p and 2p up to 1984 and I am aware of the two metal content types for 1992 and 1998, but does anybody know of any others covering the period from 1985 to 1999? Of course it may be that nobody has yet tried to find any, there aren't any to find given modern minting methods, or that nobody can be bothered - I must say that closely examining piles of similar coins can be very tedious!

So can anybody help? Anybody know of any references to mags or articles on this subject?

Thanks.

DaveG38

How did this project work out DaveG38?

Both published! To avoid bias, and I couldn't find them for sale on Chris's site, just type 'David Groom Coin' into google and you'll find them! ;)

That's great. Thank you for the update and congratulations with your publications.

And what's more, they're bloody good. Outshine Davies and Freeman in terms of clarity of photos, and there's even a good few varieties in there not mentioned by either. 1959 1/- Sc, for instance - Groom Type 1 and Groom Type 2.

They're both must-haves, Peterkin!

Thank you Declan. That's very helpful.

And what's more, they're bloody good. Outshine Davies and Freeman in terms of clarity of photos, and there's even a good few varieties in there not mentioned by either. 1959 1/- Sc, for instance - Groom Type 1 and Groom Type 2.

I hope you're talking about the books and not the 1959S shillings, Declan!

I hope you're talking about the books and not the 1959S shillings, Declan!

Both, of course! For us semi-autistic completists, Dave's books created a whole range of new gaps that just HAD to be filled...

I bought 40 of the buggers and sold 1 to Declan. What is a Groom 1 and 2.I have a few others kicking about(about 40) and need to check these.My grandfather gave me a load of 1946 & 49 3d's from change.As a 10 year old lad I decided to corner the market.I got to about 40 before realising every single one minted was stashed in collectors hands so they weren't rare. :( worth about £5.

I do have the Bronze edition :)

I bought 40 of the buggers and sold 1 to Declan. What is a Groom 1 and 2.I have a few others kicking about(about 40) and need to check these.My grandfather gave me a load of 1946 & 49 3d's from change.As a 10 year old lad I decided to corner the market.I got to about 40 before realising every single one minted was stashed in collectors hands so they weren't rare. :( worth about £5.

I remember a few years back when the 1959S shilling suddenly went from less than £20 in BU to £75! I wondered if that was a misprint - anyone know if the 2012 Spink has brought it back down to realistic levels?

I remember a few years back when the 1959S shilling suddenly went from less than £20 in BU to £75! I wondered if that was a misprint - anyone know if the 2012 Spink has brought it back down to realistic levels?

The Scottish variant is now £90 UNC ;)

They struggle to make 99p.Unless choice BU.

They struggle to make 99p.Unless choice BU.

I'm afraid I sold the one I bought from you, Peter. For £6... :ph34r:

It took me a while but I got there.

(well done on your x6 mark up)Look forward to my evening now. :)

the two Groom types...

1959SShillings.jpg

And that's the ONLY difference between them??