British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Very true. I suppose that we will never know what the world would be like if America wasn't the superpower.

In time though, America will fall. All great countries reach a zenith and then fall; Rome, the Ottaman Empire, the British Empire etc. It's predicted that China will be the next big superpower when it happens.

I would hedge my bet on China because even though they are not exceedingly developed, they have the largest population in the world and they are developing at an exceedingly fast rate. If they are indeed to become the next superpower, then what will be the communist impression they give to the world, it would change everyone's lives, I can say that much.

China will certainly be a nice change from America, I think!

Maybe, well all I can say is that we won't be the superpower for about another 500 years!

Really! That long?! :o:blink:

Well, I can't see us taking over a quarter of the world anytime soon. Also, we have quite a few problems in the western world. I think that one of the Arab states will be after China.

Do you think Japan will ever make it soon?

I don't think so due to their pittiful economy and their even more pitiful military forces.

What do you suppose will be after China then?

One of the Arab states due to the evevitable fuel shortage. They will all grow richer due to the rocketing prices and will therefore run businesses all over the world and will control the world's issues as a result.

China will certainly be a nice change from America, I think!

Oh hell no! Communism sucks!

I don't think so due to their pittiful economy and their even more pitiful military forces.

Are you serious? The Japanese economy is one of the strongest in the World - only the USA has a higher GDP ($3.651 trillion to $10.45 trillion). It's available military manpower is 25,405,779 which is not to be sniffed at! I doubt an Arab state; oil is due to run out in about 30 years and peak oil will happen before then. The USA may not even fall by then, we all have to wait an see.

I thought Japan because of all their advanced technology, but I didn't know anything about their military forces so I kept my mouth shut!! :unsure:

Bear in mind that's the available manpower which is excellent for a country of that size. Japan's major weakness, however, is their need to import tons of goods. Their invasion of Manchuria (L.o.N failure blah blah blah) was a move to get natural resources, as well as land.

I am going to ask what probably sounds like a stupid question but why do so many people hate Baroness Thatcher?

Because, young sir, some of us actually had to live during the Thatcher era. I think it can all be summed up in the claim that she made respectable those values which a civilised and morally repsonsible society should be ashamed of - things like greed, self-centeredness, lack of charity towards one's less fortunate fellows and a belief that rampant materialism is a good thing.

This is a woman who claimed there was no such thing as society and even tried to rewrite the parable of the Good Samaritan to justify her rejection of its values. That says it all.

I'm no fan of Mr. Blair but at least I think he retains some degree of humanity and compassion. Seven years ago many of us who were not habitual Labour voters saw him as a man who could overturn the wrongs of his predecessors. Alas, he has failed us in so many respects and presides over a Labour government further to the right than many of his Conservative predecessors.

Exactly Geoff, although i was very young when Thatcher resigned, the legacy of her tyranny lingers still. I only have to see the level of unemployment and i know she's behind alot of it.

And Blair if anything is continuing Thatcher's policies, but from a slightly different angle, he certainly didn't stop the privatisation movement did he!

I only have to see the level of unemployment and i know she's behind alot of it.

British unemployment has hit a 28-year low - 930,000 people, one of the lowest figures in Europe.

Very good points Sylvester.

I only have to see the level of unemployment and i know she's behind alot of it.

British unemployment has hit a 28-year low - 930,000 people, one of the lowest figures in Europe.

And why do you think the unemployment situation is being steadly rectified? because the old witch ain't in power anymore.

If she still was it definately wouldn't be getting better, i can tell you.

I agree but the point I was making is that unemployment is exceedingly low, not, as your you statement suggested, high.

I agree but the point I was making is that unemployment is exceedingly low, not, as your you statement suggested, high.

Employment in places like Barnsley and other nice areas like that in Yorkshire is quite high.

It's very high in Retford and Worksop in North Nottinghamshire, that's because the industries and jobs these places thrived on, like Coal Mining in Barnsley, Steel production in Sheffield and Rotherham was destroyed by The Thatcher government.

I know my father got made redundant at least three times throughout the Thatcher era, once from a Steelworks, and once from British Rail. (And once from somewhere else), all due to privatisation.

But the numbers of unemployed have decreased more recently because of a labour shift, from heavy/productive industries to consumer industries, like working at Greggs, or at WHSmiths, more people have had to take jobs as sales people/shopworkers/cab drivers/civil servants etc.

Which doesn't exactly help those that have spent 30 or so years down a coal mine and wouldn't know how to use a computer if it hit them on a head.

Also there has been a much stronger emphasis placed on education, and thus now it isn't easy to leave school with no grades and get a job with very little problems.

Pity really because not everyone is capable of going to college (or even want to), and for some jobs like working on the bins i can't really see how having an E in GCSE Science would hinder that particular job.

Which leads onto another reason for a lower unemployment level, more people are being forced into going to college and University, thus lowering the numbers somewhat.

Then again the government may not have represented the figures entirely accurately, are they for a particular age group? I know it's high cos i know far too many people that are on the dole and either have no intention of finding a job, or can't.

The Thatcher era was famous for a high level of unemployment.

The Thatcher era was famous for a high level of unemployment.

Did Margaret Thatcher do anything good for us?! :blink::wacko:

The best thing she ever did for us was lose at the election!

True... :)