British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ron

1799 Proof Farthing - But Which Type?

I have a 1799 farthing, which looks to be either a bronze proof, or a copper gilt proof. It looks more golden in colour, rather than bronze, but is there a more scientific way to establish what it is? What about weight? Does anyone know what either of these should weigh? Mine weighs 6.1 grams if that helps.

I could supply a picture if that helps, but I don't think it would look exactly like it does in 'real life'.

Actually, the same applies for the 1806 farthing. Anyone know what the weights are for proofs?

Hi Ron,

the weights don't help on these - yours is in the normal range.

A picture would help, some of the proofs have obvious characteristics - a blocked letter

or similar. The edge is also important - does it have a security groove, is it plain, etc?

I have six different 1799 proofs, and I know others here have some as well.

Teg

Hi Ron,

A picture would help, some of the proofs have obvious characteristics - a blocked letter

or similar. The edge is also important - does it have a security groove, is it plain, etc?

Teg

Here is the obverse. Reverse in next posting due to upload limits.

PS - The edge is normal, i.e. incuse rope.

post-800-1204562214_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

Teg

The reverse.

post-800-1204562374_thumb.jpg

Hi,

All the proofs have a grained or plain edge. Currency has the deep grained groove.

I cant see any features that would make me think proof, so perhaps an odd coloured

currency piece?

Teg

Here are a couple of edges. They are halfpennies, but farthings look the same. The proof is not in a groove.

post-381-1204569492_thumb.jpg

post-381-1204569510_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of edges. They are halfpennies, but farthings look the same. The proof is not in a groove.

Sorry, didn't quite get what you meant there. Are the pictures you supplied proofs?

Here is a picture of my edge. Does that make it proof, or are you saying that proofs have plain edges?

post-800-1204640682_thumb.jpg

Hi,

not a proof. The proofs do not have the deep groove - they are plain or grained.

Teg

Hi,

not a proof. The proofs do not have the deep groove - they are plain or grained.

Teg

Ron,

I agree it is not a proof. I saw this coin for sale on ebay described as a proof and had my doubts due to the quality of the strike, and I believe the seller is now selling an 1806 farthing also described as a proof. Seeing the edge confirms this fact.

I also had my suspicions, due to this I have retracted my bids. I'm sure that this is not the first time I've retracted a bid on this seller's auctions. Think I'll steer clear in future.

Many thanks for the confirmations gentlemen.

Clive.

I also had my suspicions, due to this I have retracted my bids. I'm sure that this is not the first time I've retracted a bid on this seller's auctions. Think I'll steer clear in future.

Clive.

That's exactly why I checked it out with you first.

I became suspicious that perhaps it wasn't a proof. You confirmed my suspicion and I have altered the listing accordingly. What more can I do?

Clive.

I became suspicious that perhaps it wasn't a proof. You confirmed my suspicion and I have altered the listing accordingly. What more can I do?

You did the right thing altering the listing Ron, but in future I would suggest not listing a coin as a proof unless you are sure it is one. If your unsure why not ask on this forum and someone will help prior to listing the coin.

Hus

Clive.

You did the right thing altering the listing Ron, but in future I would suggest not listing a coin as a proof unless you are sure it is one. If your unsure why not ask on this forum and someone will help prior to listing the coin.

Hus

Exactly my point, cheers Hus.

Don't advertise it as one unless you are sure it is one.

Clive.