British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Help me please

Hi all

being trying to value a coin that has been in our family for some time and cannot find anything on the internet. Can anyone help

Its a Queen mother 22 carat gold proof crown 1980

Appreciate it may be an estimate but I would appreciate your veiws

Thanks Paul ( First post )

That coin was never issued as a gold proof, so it's either something foreign (i.e. Commonwealth not GB) or a normal 1980 Crown that has been gold plated. I would be inclined to think the latter as I'm not aware of any gold ones from other countries either.

It is possible that the Royal Mint struck experiemental gold 1980 crowns. I doubt it, and a solid gold one could be verified in seconds by the wieght.

You'll have to post a picture, but I would get any hopes up just yet.

Hi, thanks for your help

It has a piece of paper in it saying

This is to certify that this is legal tender "queen mother crown"

is an official issue by the ilse of man

government commenorating 80th anniversary ETC

and is strictly limited

world wide issue 10,00

for pobjoy mint at the bottom

22 ct gold proof3

Make any sense

Paul

Oh right, an Isle of Man issue. In that case it is gold and it's the same size as a normal British sovereign as far as I can tell.

Which means that the gold value is about £110. It's something I'd buy for £110 and sell for £130, but that kind of thing isn't as easy to sell as conventional sovereigns.

Hi, thanks for your help

It has a piece of paper in it saying

This is to certify that this is legal tender "queen mother crown"

is an official issue by the ilse of man

government commenorating 80th anniversary ETC

and is strictly limited

world wide issue 10,00

for pobjoy mint at the bottom

22 ct gold proof3

Make any sense

Paul

Hi Paul,

I work at Pobjoy Mint. www.pobjoy.com . Although we do not value coins we can give information regarding our coins and how and where to get them valued.

firstly, if you did not have the certificate (which you do) you would be able to tell if it was a Pobjoy Mint coin by searching on either the reverse (if obverse contains the queens head) or obverse if it contains a coat of arms for a small descreet 'pm' park, this obviously stands for Pobjoy Mint and we put this on all our coins as part of security for fradulant coins and for people to recognise the coin as a Pobjoy Mint Coin.

Now, as your coin is an Isle of Man 1980 it is without doubt a Pobjoy Coin. (Pobjoy Mint have been minting Isle of Man coins since the 1970's).

If the issue limit is 1000 then the coin in theory should be worth more, but if the limit is 10,000 it might not be as valuable.

That 'piece of paper' as you said is actually quite valuable to the coin, it is not just a piece of paper but a certificate that certifies the precious metal, the fact that it is a legal tender coin and has been approved by the government as well as buckingham Palace and the genuinety of the coin.

The Proof 3 means that the coin has been struck 3 times to achieve a superlative mirror finish.

My other advice to you at the moment is, the price of gold is rising and rising once in some cases twice a day, it is the highest its been for over 10 years, maybe even longer. If you are intrested in selling this coin then it is worth getting a valuation from a coin dealer. Have a look at Coin news publication, which can be found in any good WH Smiths stores.

I know this post is not in conjunction with the date of the original post but i hope it can be of help to you and possibly others.

Thanks

Pobjoy Mint Team

• Like 1

Guest Jeff errington

Thanks pobjoy for the good information .as I have just acquired one of these and did not have any info on it till I saw this.

Thank you