British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
~Stig~

Old silver coins

Hi folks, a newbie here!

Firstly like to say what a great looking forum this is, now saved to my favourite's list!

I have over 100 small silver coins dating 1870 onwards but I know nothing about coins, Victorian bottles is my area!

Can someone tell me if they're worth anything?

A few pictures, I can take better ones if needed.

DSC03499.jpg

DSC03500.jpg

Hmmm... only allowed to post Two pictures at a time I see! :huh:

DSC03501.jpg

DSC03502.jpg

Those are all threepences (with potentially a groat hiding among them as they are the same size for Victorian and I didn't look that closely).

They all look to be average circulated examples, the kind I call 'Christmas Pudding Grade' and have for sale here:

http://www.predecimal.com/forsale/christmasthreepences.htm

You can see from the prices there that they are not overly valuable. Only in superior-much-better-than-average condition are they more collectable and hence more valuable.

Glad you like the forum, thanks.

Those are all threepences (with potentially a groat hiding among them as they are the same size for Victorian and I didn't look that closely).

They all look to be average circulated examples, the kind I call 'Christmas Pudding Grade' and have for sale here:

http://www.predecimal.com/forsale/christmasthreepences.htm

You can see from the prices there that they are not overly valuable. Only in superior-much-better-than-average condition are they more collectable and hence more valuable.

Glad you like the forum, thanks.

Thanks for your speedy reply Chris, I like your phrase 'Christmas pudding grade' made me laugh! :lol:

What is a "Groat" btw, I'm sure I seperated all the same coins into seperate groups?

A groat is a fourpence. In Victorian times (and a bit earlier) they were also a small silver coin, the exact same size as a threepence but with a milled edge (ridges) and Britannia on the back instead of the '3'. From the heads side they look about the same as a threepence.

Quite a number of the threenubs here have little more than curiousity or even bullion(value of the silver only) since they are quite worn or holed. Threenubs are pretty common coins, and lots of people saved them. I have several hundreds of them myself, and while I would like to get a good price for them I am afraid that I will sell them for a pittance over the melt value.

A groat is a fourpence. In Victorian times (and a bit earlier) they were also a small silver coin, the exact same size as a threepence but with a milled edge (ridges) and Britannia on the back instead of the '3'. From the heads side they look about the same as a threepence.

Thanks for your help lads, none of the coins have Britannia on the back.

I guess the coins will go back into the box for another 20 years!

I go around most of the car boot sales up here most weekends looking to add to my old bottle collection, quite often I see boxes stuffed with old coins but I have always overlooked them, I'll see what I can find next time!

I dare say I'll be back in here in the near future with more pictures!

Cheers,Kev.

Right you are Kev.