British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
matty-2-0-0-7

proof farthings, do they exist

hi, my names matt, ive been collecting coins since i was a boy but only recently taking it seriously, so still a bit of a novice. i get many of my coin of ebay, and sell a few to. ive got an intresting farthing, its 1893 and uncirculated, it is toned but a lot of lustre is still there, especially on reverse, in itself not a great or rare coin but ive found something intresting about it, it seems like a proof, three things lead me to think this, first its a very sharp strike, full detail, the background is very smooth, under the toning, mirror like and also britannia seems frosted, the obverse is the same to a lot lesser degree, its more heavier toned, coin hasnt been cleaned in the past, i can spot cleaned coins a mile away also frosting would of been wiped away if cleaned. Im just wondering if it could be a proof, do they exist for that year, ive only got spink 2007.

P.s i decided to join this site because ive read a very intresting article about an 1860 farthing tb/bb mule.

hi, my names matt, ive been collecting coins since i was a boy but only recently taking it seriously, so still a bit of a novice. i get many of my coin of ebay, and sell a few to. ive got an intresting farthing, its 1893 and uncirculated, it is toned but a lot of lustre is still there, especially on reverse, in itself not a great or rare coin but ive found something intresting about it, it seems like a proof, three things lead me to think this, first its a very sharp strike, full detail, the background is very smooth, under the toning, mirror like and also britannia seems frosted, the obverse is the same to a lot lesser degree, its more heavier toned, coin hasnt been cleaned in the past, i can spot cleaned coins a mile away also frosting would of been wiped away if cleaned. Im just wondering if it could be a proof, do they exist for that year, ive only got spink 2007.

P.s i decided to join this site because ive read a very intresting article about an 1860 farthing tb/bb mule.

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the site.

1893 is not a proof year for farthings.

Peck's book (British Museum) does not list one and neither does Michael Freeman (Bronze Coinage).

The Victorian Proofs can be hard to verify - and even the experts disagree on some dates / coins.

Very often the first coins struck from new dies look 'prooflike'.

The late Colin Cooke had the best farthing collection ever assembled. One of his 1893s is described as 'prooflike',

(not proof). There are still pictures of his coins on the Colin Cooke site.

1893 farthing

If you have a picture of your coin we always like to see nice farthings!

Teg

o.k thanks, i would add a pic but the my scanner is great for detail but not for the capturing of lustre and contrast,thanks for your answer though

ive just purchased a 1860 bb/tb mule on ebay, picture wasnt very clear so cant verify it, just going on the sellers word. il post coin on this site so all your expert oppinons can be heard, as for price its either a bargain price for a rare coin or an expesive price for a tb farthing. :)

I expect it's the latter! How much was it?

50 pound, a bit of a gamble but the buety of paypal is you can afford a gamble, it was advertised as a mule so seller accepts responsibility and im covered under paypal, hes also got 100% feedback, so if it wasnt, probably just an honest mistake, ive had some really good bargains in the past. :)

I saw that.

The seller wasn't a coin dealer and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing(probably borrowed spinks from the library)

I would need to see a good image to bid.

....But I hope you've got a bargain.

I saw that.

The seller wasn't a coin dealer and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing(probably borrowed spinks from the library)

I have seen a couple of farthings that give a prooflike appearance. One of my 1893's has this effect. I think as someone else has commented it would tend to be an early strike.

As for the Mule, the image only shows the reverse of the coin and it has a toothed border. All the mule varieties have a beaded reverse and a toothed obverse, so I would say it is very unlikely that it is in fact a mule.

I saw that.

I have seen a couple of farthings that give a prooflike appearance. One of my 1893's has this effect. I think as someone else has commented it would tend to be an early strike.

As for the Mule, the image only shows the reverse of the coin and it has a toothed border. All the mule varieties have a beaded reverse and a toothed obverse, so I would say it is very unlikely that it is in fact a mule.

yeah tottally agree with yo, infact got coin today and it is a toothed, he accepted full responsibility, apologised and is givin me a full refund.

ive got another 1860 witch im unsure about, gonna shoe some pictures on a new topic. took a very good look at the cook collection and his mule and i think, but not sure that i may have a mule. will post tonight