British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

My Favourite Modern Coin

Now you might think the Gothic Florin Chris sold me would be my fave modern milled coin, it is a beauty, but my fave's gotta be this one...

I've had this a while.

post-31-1082295005_thumb.jpg

and the reverse...

post-31-1082295054_thumb.jpg

what would you grade that just out of interest?

I'd say VF.

VF is a nice grade for it :) , its quite a nice coin... :)

VF is a nice grade for it :) , its quite a nice coin... :)

well i'm always wondering whether it is VF or AVF?

You know i've had that coin in my possession longer than i care to remember, at least 10 years, maybe a touch more. It's one of the few coins i've retained for such a long time, up until recently i still had alot of my original coins that i started out with but as my collection has moved away from those i've been selling them off. If i go on at this rather that shilling will be my oldest coin. (in terms of ownership)

I like it, i know my father bought it for me, can't remember how much he paid for it, but it wouldn't have been more than £30, oh and i got given an Edward I penny free on the same day (i still have that too). No wonder why that coin shop went bust. :rolleyes:

(infact i also got a imitation Francis I ducat from there too, also free... i've still got that).

dont ask me, i am only confident at grading bronze coins. Silver coins never seem to go to bad. But i think its a nice coin in AVF or VF.

I can see why you think it might be less than VF... the hair is pretty flattened, but still separated from the ear. Reverse looks pretty good too... I would say VF.

I just got my 1837 out to have a look... mine is a touch more worn than yours, more obviously AVF.

BTW, it looks like they both have weak border beads by GU... yours look less present than mine. Never noticed that before, thanks :)

I can see why you think it might be less than VF... the hair is pretty flattened, but still separated from the ear. Reverse looks pretty good too... I would say VF.

I just got my 1837 out to have a look... mine is a touch more worn than yours, more obviously AVF.

BTW, it looks like they both have weak border beads by GU... yours look less present than mine. Never noticed that before, thanks :)

Yeah it was the flattened hair that was making the grading difficult.

And you know i didn't notice the weak border beads either!

That could mean that our coins both came from the same dies. :D

I was going to post my 1834 but it doesn't seem to like BMPs, lets try this...

post-31-1082324823_thumb.jpg

Sadly ther'e a dint on the rev..

Sold to me as good EF.

post-31-1082324921_thumb.jpg

it's definately EF.

A very nice coin too!

Thank you! It may soon be on the market too! (Gotta finance my hammered addiction somehow!)

i know what you mean, i've got to finance my hammered coin addiction also, and that slight sixpence problem.

So you're not on the Times Rich List either...?

So you're not on the Times Rich List either...?

nope afraid not... :D

The Duke of Westminster will be peeved a Roman Abramovich beat him to the top in this year's Times Rich List:

• 1. Roman Abramovich £7,500m
  • 2. The Duke of Westminster £5,500m
  • 3. Hans Rausing & Family £4,950m
  • 4. Philip Green £3,610m
  • 5. Lakshmi Mittal £3,500m
  • 6. Sir Richard Branson £2,600m
  • 7. Kirsten and Jorn Rausing £2,575m
  • 8. Bernie and Slavica Ecclestone £2,323m
  • 9. Charlene and Michel de Carvalho £2,260m
  • 10. David and Simon Reuben £2,200m

Edited by Emperor Oli

what would you grade that just out of interest?

I'd say VF.

I would grade your coin at AVF/VF, AVF being because of that hair, but the reverse is definately VF!

I don't understand why you lot are being so conservative with your grading, I would grade this at GVF/VF

I'd go GVF but even the newly minted coins had flat hair....

I don't understand why you lot are being so conservative with your grading, I would grade this at GVF/VF

Is this Sylvesters one or TomGoodhearts one? If it is Sylvesters, I don't think that obverse is Good Very Fine! :blink:

No I meant to put VF but my editing feature is very temperemental (sp?) recently!

No I meant to put VF but my editing feature is very temperemental (sp?) recently!

Hasn't everyones edit button been like that?!

Well the button is there and I tried to edit my post, which I did, but when I pressed submit it said I didn't have permission to use that feature :blink:

That's happened to me as well in the past, and sometimes, if I'm really lucky, the edit button isn't even there!!