British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest vteaute

New Zealand threepence 1943

Guest vteaute

hi, any info on a NZ Threepence 1943? i'm trying to find something on the net but no luck. cheers, Vincent

By the 1940's Britain itself had begun minting large-form multi-sided Thruppence. They were easier to see and harder to lose than the tiny 17mm 3p which had been used for a century or so. New Zealand continued to mint small three pence, albeit in copper-nickel, until they abandoned to the old currency for decimal in the late sixties.

Pulled from an eBay listing: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Zealand-3-pence-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not able to help on dates, Aidan would be able to help... Wouldn't he Chris? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Clive.

Vteaute,

The 1943 NZ 3d is a pretty common coin, with 4,4 million being minted. In VF it has a value of about $1.25 US$. The 1950 3d is the most scarce of the George VI 3d's with a mintage of 800,000, and a value in VF of $3.50. The lowest mintage of all the 3d's is the 1935, which has a mintage of only 40,364 and a value in VF of $125.00 US$.

I hope this helps.

Bob C.

Thier is good and bad things happen in the past.

as other may observe frank and gentleman which is a good thing,like you mean what you say and you say what you mean and meet in this forum,people do change if not accept them to a limit.

If not.

Its all up to the moderator and owner,just keep the correction rod besides them and post thier reproof or suspension for other members,like Aidan if they like.

Edited by josie

Well said Josie.

Anyway, back to NZ 3d's. There is only one real variety, other than date varieties and one clogged die (maybe) variety in the whole threepence series 1933 to 1965 less 1938 (none minted), and that is the 1956 'strapless' (scarce). The clogged die is the missing lozenge after the date for 1942 (scarce), and the date varieties are as follows.

1935 wider spaced 35,

1941 wider spaced 41 (scarce),

1942 closer spaced 42,

1942 wider spaces 42,

1945 low 5,

1945 high 5,

1946 upright 6.

All in all quite an interesting series to collect as are the other denominations.

Oops, forgot the 1957, which is the other major variety.

Obv 1, 86 border beads, second upright of N in SECOND to right of bb (when viewed from centre of coin) as 1956.

Obv 2, 87 border beads, second upright of N in SECOND to left of bb (when viewed from centre of coin) as 1958.

I dont know the relative rareties. All four of mine are obv 2.