British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

common coins with varieties

A few weeks ago, on a different message board, Sylvester enlightened me to the varieties of the 1992 10p, which I found that I have 3 of the varieties (the most common 3, of course). During that discussion, he invited me to this board, which I am very thankful for.

A few days ago, a friend on yet a different message board tells me about 1957 half penny varieties (calm sea/rough sea), which I was pleased to find both varieties of. He also told me about 1967 half penny varieties (narrow rim, wide rim), which again I found both of.

I also read somewhere (Tony Claytons' site, perhaps) of the 1953 farthing varieties (I have no extra stock of those, so the one in my album is my only variety)

So, not including the rare stuff, what other kinds of varieties should I look for?? I am mainly interested in post-Victorian stuff, as that is pretty much where my collection is right now.

I think someone told me that I needed to get a Coincraft book? I have an 1999 edition of the Collectors' Coins book that Chris sells here on this site. (will hopefully get the 2004 soon), but do not know anything about the Coincraft. Someone help a poor yank out.

Well, that collectors coins book has lots of varieties in it... or maybe I should say had, since my latest edition is 1987 :) I'm sure it's just as good now though...

Anyway, it mentions lots of "pointings", where the extent of the variety is whether letters in the legend point to beads in the rim or betwen them, much like the 10ps. I remember checking through loads of shillings...

I really tried to get interested in these, honest, but it just doesn't do it for me. I mean, an actual design change is one thing, but minor differences in the way dies for the same coin are engraved...

While we're here, does anyone know how these pointing varieties happen? I understand that dies are engraved by machine, controlled by an operator tracing over a large version of the design with a stylus. So, are the border beads on the large version being traced? Or are they on a ready made ring and stamped into the die afterwards (in which case it is easy to see how the differences occur)

Interesting, but still not interesting enough for me to collect...

A few weeks ago, on a different message board, Sylvester enlightened me to the varieties of the 1992 10p, which I found that I have 3 of the varieties (the most common 3, of course). During that discussion, he invited me to this board, which I am very thankful for.

A few days ago, a friend on yet a different message board tells me about 1957 half penny varieties (calm sea/rough sea), which I was pleased to find both varieties of. He also told me about 1967 half penny varieties (narrow rim, wide rim), which again I found both of.

I also read somewhere (Tony Claytons' site, perhaps) of the 1953 farthing varieties (I have no extra stock of those, so the one in my album is my only variety)

So, not including the rare stuff, what other kinds of varieties should I look for?? I am mainly interested in post-Victorian stuff, as that is pretty much where my collection is right now.

I think someone told me that I needed to get a Coincraft book? I have an 1999 edition of the Collectors' Coins book that Chris sells here on this site. (will hopefully get the 2004 soon), but do not know anything about the Coincraft. Someone help a poor yank out.

There are of course proof versions, but i won't talk about them. Here are some post victorian varieties:

• Some Victorian and Edward VII farthings have a dark finish
  • Some 1926 halfcrowns have no colon after OMN
  • The 'H' varieties and 'KN' varieties of British pennies
  • From 1949 onwards, all British coins didn't have Ind;Imp on them
  • The 1940 penny sometimes had a double exurgue line
  • 1955 and 1956 farthings had thin rims on the reverse
  • From 1954, British coinage no longer had Britt.Omn on it
  • Some of the 1954 halfpennies had large border teeth

I won't tell you about gold coins as I am not familiar with them. I hope this is what you are after and it helps.

As mint_mark says, try to get that Collectors Coins book, it does have lots of different varieties in it.

William

There are also others to name a few:

1. Wide rim.

2. Calm sea and choppy sea (George VI halfpenny).

3. Crosses and letters pointing to beads (Emperor Oli will be the expert)

William's list has reminded me of a couple more (can't remember the dates, sorry)

• A recessed ear on a George V penny
  • A George VI penny with a dot after penny

And, my very own discovery (ie I noticed it myself), a late George V shilling with finer than normal graining (milling / reeding). Whether that's a variety or a mistake or nobody cares I don't know.

I should think for something to be a variety, the coin in question has to exist both with and without... so a dark farthing is a variety for 1918, but not for 1917, because they are all dark. Similary the IND IMP and BRITT OMN legend changes are not varieties, but different types.

Of course, varieties are distinct from errors... I imagine you have to find many coins with an identical difference for it to be a variety. I found a QEII shilling with no graining, but I reckon that would be an error...

I should think for something to be a variety, the coin in question has to exist both with and without... so a dark farthing is a variety for 1918, but not for 1917, because they are all dark. Similary the IND IMP and BRITT OMN legend changes are not varieties, but different types.

ingonre the quote above i accidentally deleted the bit i wanted to quote (but it won't let you post without some quote... :rolleyes: )

That fine edge milling George V shilling, what's the date?

Is it silver? (is it magnetic?)

That fine edge milling George V shilling, what's the date?

Is it silver? (is it magnetic?)

It's 1935, not magnetic. You made me look in Spink now... there it says they changed to closer milling for sixpences in 1931, so it's likely it happened with shillings too isn't it? My 1933 and earlier of that type are all coarser milling.

I reckon it's normal... right, everybody get your George V shillings out and have a look! :)

Well no mention in Coincraft either, or in Seaby's of them changing the milling.

Either it's a unrecorded minor variety, or perhaps it's a proof?

Either it's a unrecorded minor variety, or perhaps it's a proof?

I don't think it's a proof... no mirror like fields, even allowing for some circulation (it's around EF)

I'm hoping someone else will look at their 1935 shilling and tell us whether it's the same or not...

I don't think it's a proof... no mirror like fields, even allowing for some circulation (it's around EF)

I'm hoping someone else will look at their 1935 shilling and tell us whether it's the same or not...

Sorry i don't have any George V shillings, i sold them all. I used to collect shillings but i never got round to getting a 1935, i quit before then cos i got fed up of all the English, Scottish varients... :rolleyes:

1953 Farthings are an odd lot. In total, there are four recorded varieties:

• Obv.1: Upper arm of cross points at a border bead. M.G. indistinct.
  • Obv.2: Upper arm of cross points between two border beads. M.G. distinct.
  • Rev.A: F points between two border beads.
  • Rev.B: F points at a border bead.

Those are the singular varities but it is possible to get a combination:

• 1+A (ex-plastic sets) is scarcer than...
  • 2+B which is common
  • 2+A is extremely rare
  • 1+B can be found in a 1953 "plastic" set.

• 1+A (ex-plastic sets) is scarcer than...
  • 2+B which is common
  • 2+A is extremely rare
  • 1+B can be found in a 1953 "plastic" set.

i remember checking my 1953 farthing for that, (only just remembered now you mention it), sadly mine was common.

i remember checking my 1953 farthing for that, (only just remembered now you mention it), sadly mine was common.

Mine is too. I did dig out my Collector Coins book, and found a few more issues that have "pointings" varieties, and of course, all mine are the common varieties, and most all of the issues are ones that I have only a single sample of. With the 1992 10p issue, I had several to go through and found 3 of the varieties (the 3 most common, of course).

Here is a webside where i get a lot of info from,

www.wybrit.com or

www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

regards

Leendert

Welcome Leendert! What coins do you collect?