British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kate_I'm_a_Guest

What Coin Have I Got

Guest kate_I'm_a_Guest

I have been given an old coin,it is very dirty and I cannot make out any date or name on it . It is slightly smaller than a commemorative five pound coin, has a picture of Britannia on one side and a slightly raised ?mans head with possibly a laurel wreath around his head on the other side.

Guest kate

I have just been looking at the pictures on the site and think I have found it, it looks like a twopence coin. If I clean it with anything do I stand a chance of finding a date on it? :)

Dear Kate,

If it's a chunky 42mm ish in diameter then it is a Copper twopenny but as it's smaller than a crown i'd say it's a 35mm Copper penny, because they look the same as the twopenny.

That kind of 'Cartwheel' coin was only made with one date...1797, so that's its date. Maybe you could scrub it gently with a toothbrush but you shouldn't use chemicals on it or leave it damp for any length of time.

And it probably isn't worth much if it's very worn under the dirt I'm afraid.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest kate

Thanks very much, for your help, I will come back to this site it is very interesting and it's great to be able to get some help identifying old coins I have some more so I will probably be asking for your help again. : :D

You are most welcome to Kate.

I have no problem helping people that try to help themselves first and don't ask questions that are already answered on the site!

Thanks for your kind words.

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com