British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ron

Should I Get This Valued Before Selling It?

I bought this half crown a while ago and it was only when I was photographing it for sale, did I notice that the word HIB on the reverse is actually HIR. It is not a failure of the die, it is clearly an R instead of a B. I have never seen this before and it is not listed in Spink (3434).

Has anyone else come across this before and if so, is it one of those 'Extremely Rare' jobs, or is it quite common?

If is is rare, how do you get valuations done? Spinks themselves, presumably?

post-800-1198240470_thumb.jpg

That looks fabulous doesn't it!

Who can put a value on it when no one has recorded it? Spink would just guess, like I would guess. That kind of coin would be good for an auction because then the bidders would decide. I'd offer hard cash for it right here though!

One of the problems with finding errors, even as spectacular as this, is that they have to catch the interests of the right people to make the price right for it. With so many early coins, even hammereds, there are quite a few which in their state are regarded as unique because of some unrecorded variety, but in the end it comes down to whom is most interested and how deep their pockets are.

I have a Scottish groat from the reign of David II(1329-1371) which is one of four known examples, it is described as unique in the 1886 edition of Burn's Coins of Scotland, and the same in the 1969 reprint. Curiously enough, because it is so rare, it has seven arcs in the tressure around the monarch's portrait, it is not even priced, let alone even described in Seaby or even in Coincraft. The coin is in VF-EF for the issue, which may make it the finest known example. How do I price it? I know what I paid for it years ago, since I bought it instead of an Edward III Noble, at a fraction of the Noble price too.

Similarly I have a Scottish 30/- from 1586, it is one of three known examples of that date, at least it is described as Extremely rare in Seaby and in Coincraft, but again... the dilemma is how to price it. I have records on it that go back to 1903, so it is a well pedigreed coin, but it isn't worth much to a lot of collectors because the coin is more collected by type than date, and even the more commonly encountered coins are still quite rare.

Who can put a value on it when no one has recorded it? Spink would just guess, like I would guess. That kind of coin would be good for an auction because then the bidders would decide. I'd offer hard cash for it right here though!

I agree with Chris. This is what I would call a wacking great error, not just one letter inserted over another which is barely discernable, but an error brought about by the illiteracy of most of the mint's then employees. Suggest it should go to a major auction house (perhaps even Spinks' themselves) who would give it maximum pre-sale publicity. You might just make a profit on this one!

I agree with Chris. This is what I would call a wacking great error, not just one letter inserted over another which is barely discernable, but an error brought about by the illiteracy of most of the mint's then employees. Suggest it should go to a major auction house (perhaps even Spinks' themselves) who would give it maximum pre-sale publicity. You might just make a profit on this one!

I have listed it on eBay, but will cancel the listing before it ends unless I get a decent price.

There are some fairly decent pictures on eBay, which, unfortunately, I can't post here due to the 150k size restriction.

I would post a URL, but that might seem like advertising.

I'll let you know how much I got for it if the eBay listing completes.

Let me add to what I said prior in this discussion topic, this piece, because of the association with William & Mary, the date 1689, etc. might actually have enhanced interest for collectors. Please do go ahead and post an image of the whole coin, I don't think anybody here will have any problems with that(or we will just bonk their heads) 'Tis the whole purpose of the group, to admire and lust after numismatic wonders. :D

Okay, with a bit of a search I found the auction and the images:

8f2c_0.JPG

8ffc_0.JPG

This piece is NOT eBay material, this is the stuff of Spinks, DNW etc. You will get a far better price and be much happier with the results.

Else wise if your not so inclined to sell as an auction item, I am sure there are those in our very midst that would make a right fair offer therein.