British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

Coin Variables

Unsure? :unsure:

this may help:

Quater Farthing = half of a half farthing

Third Farthing = bit more then a quater farthing.

Half Farthing = Half of a farthing

Farthing = quarter penny

Halfpenny = half of a penny; demonitised in 1984; taken out of circulation in 1983.

Penny = 2 half pennies; still in circulation.

Twopence = 2 pennies; still in circulation.

Nikle-brass Threepence = 3 pennies; demonitised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1967.

Silver Threepence = 3 pennies; demonitised in 1945.

Groat = 4 pennies.

Sixpence = 6 pennies; demonitised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1967.

Shilling = 12 pennies; demonitised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1968.

Florin = 2 shillings; demonetised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1968.

Double Florin = 2 florins

Half Crown = 2 shillings 6 pence (2/6); demonetised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1968.

Crown = 2 half crowns; demonetised in 1971; taken out of circulation in 1968. Modern £5 (1971 - 1997 = 25p)

Quater Guinea = 6 shillings 3 pence (6/3)

Third Guinea = 7 shillings

Half Guinea = 12 shillings 6 pence (12/6)

Guinea = 21 shillings

Half Broad = Half of a broad

Broad = Gold coin of cromwell.

Two pound = 40 shillings.

Two Guineas = 42 shillings.

Fifty Shillings = 50 shillings

Five pound = 100 shillings.

Five Guinea's = 105 shillings.

Half Sovereign = Gold Bullion.

Sovereign = Gold Bullion.

:)

Edited by Master J.M.D

You've just posted that in another forum, there's no need to do it twice

You've just posted that in another forum, there's no need to do it twice

this one has more information...and also it is in the beginers area, a beginer would not look for coin types in the 'british coin related discussions' forum... :)

Quater Guinea = 6 shillings 3 pence (6/3)

Half Guinea = 12 shillings 6 pence (12/6)

oops, here is the correct thing:

Quater Guinea = 5 shillings 3 pence (5/3)

Half Guinea = 10 shillings 6 pence (10/6)

Sovereign = Gold Bullion.

:)

well that's all very well and good but alot of that is wrong...

Brass threepences were still in circulation in 1971.

Sixpences were still in circulation as late as 1980.

Shillings were still in circulation theoretically in 1990.

Florins were still in circulation in 1993, i know that full well cos i remember spending them right up to the end, i even spent a George V florin in the early 90s, so i know.

Halfcrowns were demonetised in 1969.

Crowns to my knowledge have not been demonetised, neither have double florins. Infact double florins were deemed legal tender for 20p upon decimalisation and still are.

Half sovereigns, Sovereign, £2 and £5 coins (the gold ones with St George) are still legal tender for, 50p, £1, £2 and £5 respectively, and you are well within your rights to spend one as such if you so wished.

Yes, and Florins and shillings were demonetised in the early 90's, (double florins, oficially never) and I'm sure silver threepences continued being legal tender until D Day, they just stopped producing them in 1945 (or earlier for Mainland GB).

You should absolutely get your facts right Master JMD, before you, as a beginner, attempt to offer information to ther beginners.

There you are Mster JMD, a sovereign is a pound

well that's all very well and good but alot of that is wrong...

Brass threepences were still in circulation in 1971.

Sixpences were still in circulation as late as 1980.

Shillings were still in circulation theoretically in 1990.

Florins were still in circulation in 1993, i know that full well cos i remember spending them right up to the end, i even spent a George V florin in the early 90s, so i know.

florins changed to 10p's (the big ones), shillings were 5p's...but i was born in 1990, so i do not remember back to 1971 :(

Please don't take offence Master JMD, if I remove this thread when you have acknowledged you are aware of that fact.

Please don't take offence Master JMD, if I remove this thread when you have acknowledged you are aware of that fact.

cant you just get rid of the denomitised bits...i havent done it for all coins...and it helps the newbies...

Yes but it is flawed and I can't be bothered to correct it:

Third Farthing = bit more then a quater farthing! (come on)

And what is a Coin variable...You mean denomination?

Guinea = 21 shillings (the value of a Guinea was not always fixed and went up to 30s at one stage)

Sovereign = Gold Bullion.............Not really, they were 20s and are now traded as bullion after the gold standard was dropped.

I really like your entusiasm Master MKD, and your desire to help people is admirable also, but it's very lacklustre.

This one is going, you are however welcome to do proper research and submit a better 'British Predecimal denimination' guide if you wish.

florins changed to 10p's (the big ones), shillings were 5p's...but i was born in 1990, so i do not remember back to 1971 :(

You'll learn... ;)

And i don't remember back to 1971, cos i was born in 84, the last of the machin era kids... :D (sorry William i had to get that in).

It was only recently when i found out that the sixpences had escaped the 1971 culling.

And silver threepences are also legal tender for 3 new pence, despite the fact that someone at the Royal mint replied telling me they were not. I'm telling you they are... i'm not the only person that says so neither. (it's due to maundy money, which is legal tender in new pence).

I don't think any other predecimal coins are still legal tender, other than the ones i've already mentionned.

I'm not 100% sure if groats were ever demonetised, but considering they'd only be worth 1 3/4p now, and you'd have to spend them in threes, it wouldn't be much good if they were.

And i don't remember back to 1971, cos i was born in 84, the last of the machin era kids... :D (sorry William i had to get that in).

You were born in the Machin era?! You're really lucky! I was born in the Maklouf period! :(

i was born in the smaller 5p era :D