British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coin watch

Collectors coins 2008 `the grass roots`

Just seen in the shops the 2008 edition of collectors coins GB and would like to say what a great idea it is to have added the free half-penny.

Although it would not appeal to me as modern coinage is not my area of collecting it did catch my attention, as I stood there looking at it on the shelf I thought what better way of trying to introduce young people into the hobby. After reading some of the other posts about how some of us started our hobby, for example finding some Vic bun head`s in grandads old tin, and in common with many collectors, I think this is more of a good idea than a gimmick.

This hobby will always need new young collectors `the grass roots, if you like` to come along.

So well done to the editor or whoever had the idea. :)

That was me! I did that. Idea, author, editor and publisher!

I knew that it would kill 3 birds with one stone, so to speak.

1. Encourage new collectors' with a free coin, the likes many would never have seen. Like you say, the young collectors are the new generation.

2. Encourage sales with a free gift, and the only book of its kind with a free gift, and

3. Allow me to get shot of thousands of 1966 halfpennies! (I have another 2000 standing by)

It seems to be selling quicker than previous editions at this stage. In what shop did you see it? WHSmith haven't ordered any from me yet, which is a pity as they might not be in time for Christmas at this rate.

I see it in two shops, both being in Waterstones if I remember correctly.

While on this subject has anyone seen the 2008 Spink catalogue as yet? If so has any of last years misprints and errors been corrected?

Oh that's good to know. They are supplied by Gardner's books, and Gardner's have been buying lots (over 700 so far) so that's a good sign. Was it in a prominent position? It's a good sign I suppose, that you saw it.

Well it was in the usual section for such a book, antiques and silver etc, and found very easy because I was looking for coin reference anyway. Mind you one shop had just one copy and the other two copies, but may have already sold some!

1 copy is normal, certainly for WHS, when they bother to order any. 2 is very encouraging! Fingers crossed it sells out quick and I have to use these other coins on 2000 reprints.

1 copy is normal, certainly for WHS, when they bother to order any. 2 is very encouraging! Fingers crossed it sells out quick and I have to use these other coins on 2000 reprints.

Just a casual observation Chris, by your own admission you seem to be selling more this year than you thought, so what happens if the reprint comes to more than 2000 books? Will you want my halfpenny back?

Yes, I'll put an appeal on here for as many halfpennies back as possible!

Or, I'll find someone with another mint bag of 2400 of them. Many coin dealers have this sort of thing lying around. I have some other mint bags in my safe actually....not because of the value, but as ballast so that no thief could ever lift my safe!

hi how much are these books to order if you order in bulk as i might be able to sell some here and there

i just ordered two of ebay and yer i might be able to return the coins if you need them :lol: i being buying this price quide since i started to be honest it is the book which got me into it i got some coins of my grandad and brought the 2006 book to prie them and started buying more from coin shops best place is arundel near chicherster good place there, one shop i liked run by an old man and his daughter been collecing for year he said i reccomened it

still got my 2006 and 2007 books in mint coondition looking to buy the 2005 2004 2003 and so on so i can kind of get a collection of them good books prefer to spinks

normal buy from waterstones in ashford

thanks

That's all good to hear too. One of the Collectors' Coins GB books (the 1989 edition) helped me get into coins too when I discovered it in a shop which no longer exists in Eltham, London. I was amazed at all the varieties that existed and were not included in an old Spink I had. And of course, the price was so much more affordable to an 11 year old back then! (have you got the 2nd edition of the 2006, that one is marked as such inside and has a non curly cover).

I've got most editions now in my Rotographic archive back to the 70s. For many of them I only have one though. You can see pictures here:

http://www.rotographic.com/outofprint_rotographic.htm

The first edition that I did was the 2005, which being my first book ever, was not entirely perfect! The cover ended up a bit too thin and the paper inside wasn't great quality. I switched to a different printing co. from 2006 onwards. The 2004 edition, the last one created by Richard Marles was a little be dated and as a book it was past its hayday in my opinion....it was still stapled together, produced on his own very dated press and quite plain looking.

I do great deals for bulk, but ideally you need to buy at least 30. If interested PM me or email me through www.rotographic.com or this website.

As I have mentioned before the CCGB 2008 is great little book. Small and light for taking to shows /fairs etc. It’s the only book that sits permanently on my desk, the other books are put back on the shelf when done with. In fact I went to Athens on business for two days last week and CCGB came with me.

I appreciate all the hard work that must be involved in getting the book out, just out of interest at what point in 2008 will you start preparing the 2009 edition.

i am not to sure what edition the book is 2006 inside the cover it does say 33rd edition re-print i did not relize there were two diff types in 2006

i am not to sure what edition the book is 2006 inside the cover it does say 33rd edition re-print i did not relize there were two diff types in 2006

Then you have the one with the better, non curly cover.

I'll start doing the 2009 edition probably in about June, but quite often I'm still updating prices until a couple of weeks before it goes to print.

I also started off with Rotographic "Check your change" Blue,Red,Green and Yellow books (and I've still got them)...I was only a young lad.....but Victorian coins could still be retrieved from currency.

The yellow book was pre Victoria (I actually never got anything pre 1860)

I had family and friends on the look out for anything old or nice & put a reasonably high grade collection of coppers together FOC.I used to know mintages off by heart (and still do..sad)

So Rotographic started me off also. :)

I should put these as quotes on the Rotographic website.

I just received my two copies of CCGB2008 (one's for part of my father in laws Christmas present). It's a great book which I would thoroughly recommend. I especially like the way the different sections are colour coded and the way you have used two alternative tones of colour to separate the different dates and prices.

Kudos to you and keep up the good work Chris!

Thankyou thankyou.

I have overall responsiblity, so I take ultimate responsibility for all complaints or critisicms.

Also, I take the full glory for any compliments and general kind remarks! :o

(I'm going to move this topic to the Rotographic area)