British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
tazdog

identifing roman sestertius

hi just wondering if anybody can help me identify this roman sestertius? who it may be, what date , and if possible how much it may be worth.

thanks

post-4045-1195467927_thumb.jpg

post-4045-1195467942_thumb.jpg

Looks like Hadrian in style, but without remaining letters it's very difficult to tell. Does it start with DIV? That would be DIVVS which would indicate whoever it is was dead at the time, and may help because not all emperors were important enough for postumous issues.

Just scanned your book, Chris, on Base metal Roman coins & on page 28 there is a dead ringer for this coin. Given as Marcus Aurelius period 3 Commemorative CRB165. Have a shufty! :D

hi chris,

yes it does read 'DIVVS' and the other side of his head looks like about 5 letters begining with what looks like V and it looks like it ends with a S.

on the reverse it looks like 'COM' or 'CON' under the bird, on the left of the bird there is what looks litter the letter 'C' and possibly another letter by the tail on the right, cannot quite make it out.

thanks for all your help,kathy

That's the one! but in that condition I don't think you'll find any buyers. Sorry. Unless Chris thinks differently.!!

Yes, well done I should have refered to one of the books that I publish for the answer!

It's been 'identified' now (accurately, as far as I can tell) so at least you now can advertise it properly instead of saying 'Old Coin for Sale'. But, Geordie is right, it's a bit ol' manky that coin! I reckon it has to be worth £5 though because it's identified. In VF my book says £60, but that's a world away.

That's the one! but in that condition I don't think you'll find any buyers. Sorry. Unless Chris thinks differently.!!

True, but just look at the history! Marcus Aurelias was somthing of a philosopher and some of his writings still survive. That's what I love about Roman coins, you get not only a portrait of a guy who died 1850 years ago, but tap his name into the internet and you can find out what he thought about a variety of subjects. But, as you say, in hard cash terms it's worth two-thirds of b*ggerall. Something wrong surely?

I agree on the value of artifacts. Should surely be worth more than Beckam or Posh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordie582