British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Kronos

English and Scottish Shillings

I have two questions that are puzzling me:

1. Please can anyone explain why from 1937 to 1970 shillings were issued in English and Scottish varieties.

2. Why did this not happen to any of the other GB coins? Or am I mistaken.

Thanks

Mark

It was partly to assuage the Scots, and partly a recognition that in 1937 when they were introduced, it was symbolic of their Queen(later known as the Queen Mum) whom was born of Scottish nobility, though in England. When decimalisation came about in 1968-1971, the 5p coin came to be designed with the Scottish thistle.

I am sure it would have caused much confusion had they extended this to other denominations, ie look at Belgium and it's coins issued in Walloon and French.

george.jpg

A 1945 Scottish Shilling.

It was partly to assuage the Scots, and partly a recognition that in 1937 when they were introduced, it was symbolic of their Queen(later known as the Queen Mum) whom was born of Scottish nobility, though in England. When decimalisation came about in 1968-1971, the 5p coin came to be designed with the Scottish thistle.

I am sure it would have caused much confusion had they extended this to other denominations, ie look at Belgium and it's coins issued in Walloon and French.

george.jpg

However, firstly, the scottish shillng been prepared for Edward VIII coinage.

george.jpg

However, firstly, the scottish shillng been prepared for Edward VIII coinage.

The pound coin when first introduced rotated yearly between the four member nations.

I have two questions that are puzzling me:

1. Please can anyone explain why from 1937 to 1970 shillings were issued in English and Scottish varieties.

2. Why did this not happen to any of the other GB coins? Or am I mistaken.

Thanks

Mark

Strictly speaking, this should be "from 1937 to 1966". There were no shillings issued dated 1967 and the 1970 proof is a curious posthumous one-off.

Examples of the Edward VIII Scottish shilling exist, but not the English.

Geoff

Thanks everyone

Thats made things a lot clearer now.

Mark

Just spotted that an above post said:

"I am sure it would have caused much confusion had they extended this to other denominations, ie look at Belgium and it's coins issued in Walloon and French."

I think you mean Flemish and French. The Walloon Belgians are Francophones aren't they?

G

I think you mean Flemish and French. The Walloon Belgians are Francophones aren't they?

G

At that moment I wrote that I couldn't think of Flemish, all I could remember was that their language is a derivative of Dutch. And Letzeburgish is a language kind of like Hungarian in that part of Europe, by itself.