British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Dictionary additions.

Darn it I shall rectify....any more faults??

he means, if you look down the drown column it says 1/4 for both sovereign and half soverign, it should be 1/2 for HALF SOVEREIGN.

This not good enough for you?! ^^^^

umm...yes, follow the yellow half soveeign line and you will find 1/4 half crown and 1/4 crown...

also there cannot be 240 pennies in a sovereign can there? 240 pennies are 20 shillings, and 20 shillings are a pound!!!

Screw the table then

and there cannot be 5 half crowns in a sovereign because: a half crown is (according to your table) 30 pennies...and 30 pennies x 5 = 150 pennies, not 240 pennies...

you should see a psychiatrist!

Wait isn't a sovereign a pound or am I getting confused by all the faults?

Wait isn't a sovereign a pound or am I getting confused by all the faults?

i dont know...but a sovereign as a pound seems strange...

Fine! Fine! The table is silly forget the table the table never existed I shall hear nothing more on the subject of the table!

A sovereign is a pound!

Fine! Fine!  The table is silly forget the table the table never existed I shall hear nothing more on the subject of the table!

I quite like the table actually... best thing in this thread! :)

Yes, a sovereign is a pound.

Your table reminded me of a little card my dad gave me from decimalisation... it's one of those you tilt and see different things written on it. It has a grid showing all amounts in pennies up to 10/- and then in shillings up to 20/-... then, when you tilt it, they all change to their decimal equivalents, to the nearest half penny.

My best decimalisation memento though is a card game called Snip Snap (the decimal currency game). It's basically snap, but half the cards show old coins and half the cards show new coins... "laugh and learn as you play" it says :)

I have a blue plastic 'decimeter' with 2 wheels, one for £ and one for S, and it tells you in the little windows what it is in new money. Not as much fun as the card game I'm sure.

I think you're thinking of a Guinea, which was 21 shillings. George III introduced the Sovereign to replace the Guinea in 1817.

I like the table EO. Very colourful!

I thought that a Sovereign was a pound.

When are you going to add those extra definitions then Chris

I dont know...but a sovereign as a pound seems strange...

I think you're thinking of a Guinea, which was 21 shillings. George III introduced the Sovereign to replace the Guinea in 1817.

Ah it would seem we are both right!

Read the title on the page!

I think you're thinking of a Guinea, which was 21 shillings.  George III introduced the Sovereign to replace the Guinea in 1817.

The sovereign coin at 20 shillings replaced the guinea coin at 21 shillings, but guineas as a unit of counting money survived right up to decimalisation. My father tells me that professional people were paid in guineas and tradesmen were paid in pounds... so lawyers fees, for example, were always quoted in guineas even 150 years after the coin disappeared.

The face value of a sovereign has been 20 shillings, or one pound, since 1816. They stopped circulating during the first world war and finally stopped being made in 1932 when our currency was taken off the gold standard. At this point you couldn't take your money to a bank and exchange it for gold any more. Our currency was still linked to gold for a few decades, but this finally stopped in the 60s or 70s I think (... when the inflation started... hmmm).

Anyway, a sovereign used to actually be a pound... people before WW1 spent them as one pound, buying a lot more of course! That's why today the face value of a sovereign is still one pound even though its intrinsic value is higher (about 50 pounds).