British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PINMAN

1874 Victorian penny

Please have a look at the following Penny,which recently sold on Ebay..........

Link

.......and then try and come up with a reason,why it sold for so much.I've looked in a couple of (up to date) books,and neither of them value this particular coin,at anywhere near the price that it actually sold for,considoring it's grade (it even has a few tiny edge knocks,too).

Link

.......and then try and come up with a reason,why it sold for so much.I've looked in a couple of (up to date) books,and neither of them value this particular coin,at anywhere near the price that it actually sold for,considoring it's grade (it even has a few tiny edge knocks,too).

I believe it to be an F-67....... Obverse 6, Reverse H, Rarity R-12......... A scarcer variety of the 1874's

Link

I believe it to be an F-67....... Obverse 6, Reverse H, Rarity R-12......... A scarcer variety of the 1874's

Just goes to show,how totally useless the books which i rely on,are,with only three different varieties being mentioned.....1874 / 1874 H / & 1874 with later (older) bust.Makes you wonder if the seller was aware of this fact,too,since there was no info refering to the details that you have kindly provided,within his/her auction.

I really must invest in some better books,at some future point.Thanks for your assistance,regarding this coin.

Its not to say your books are useless however some collectors really collect on variety and the smallest difference can make a coin rarer.

The best guide for the bronze coins is Micheal Freeman's “The Bronze Coinage Of Great Britainâ€. This book is great if you really want to tell each bronze coins tiny difference and variety. Again though this book only covers the bronze coins and so I use it in conjunction with my other books.

There isn't an ultimate book as such. All coin books have their good points and you will find as your collection develops so does your library.

Its not to say your books are useless however some collectors really collect on variety and the smallest difference can make a coin rarer.

The best guide for the bronze coins is Micheal Freeman's “The Bronze Coinage Of Great Britainâ€. This book is great if you really want to tell each bronze coins tiny difference and variety. Again though this book only covers the bronze coins and so I use it in conjunction with my other books.

There isn't an ultimate book as such. All coin books have their good points and you will find as your collection develops so does your library.

I must confess,that i'd be quite interested to learn about all the different varieties that exist,no doubt that it would be an interesting read.At the moment,i'm only aware of the more common differencies.....such as a beaded or toothed border,found on an 1860 Penny,or a normal or low tide,on the 1902 Half Penny (the obvious stuff).

Thanks for the book suggestion,i'll have to drop Mrs Pinman a hint,especially since Christmas isn't too far away,now :D .

That is a rare boogger, ignoring the references, early obverse, narrow date, not minted in Birmingham and if I'd known it was on there, I would have bid for it myself. Huss is right, it is not the uselessness of your book as for 98-99 coins out of a hundred it will be reasonably accurate. Pennies are among the most popular coins to collect, and as a result these sub-varieties can be quite sought after, some actually worth into the thousands. The whole issue of varieties can be quite contentious as some are 'adopted' and attain a substantial premium whereas others are virtually ignored and worth little more than the standard item, often for no apparent reason. How far you take it is entirely up to you.

post-4030-1194395332_thumb.jpgpost-4030-1194395307_thumb.jpg

I have the same trouble identifying certain bronze Pennies myself, I have an 1861 penny but I have know idea what variety it is apart from it is has a toothed border. The Spinks 2006 Coins of Enland book has 7 pages dedicated to the penny but I am still lost.

Can anyone help me out here, also would you say the grade is Fine?.

Thanks, all help is appreciated

Mark

Hussulo is correct..... Probably the best book encompassing ALL the bronze coinage is the Freeman opus....... For a work SPECIALIZING in JUST the bronze pennies and expanding upon Freeman I would recomend The British Bronze Penny by Michael Gouby...... http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/BPbook.htm

For the extremist, there is also SATIN GUIDE to the VICTORIAN BUNHEADS from 1860-1865

Additionally, there are many unrecorded and or minor variants such as recut letters, date spacings, etc....

Peck is excellent for the COPPER coinage

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

A big thanks to all,who have kindly provided me with some real useful information,i really am most grateful.I'd certainly like to have all the available info on these different varieties which exist,not only increase my knowledge of such coins,but also for the odd occasion,when i may come across something,when such available info,would prove to be useful.

Having said that,i'm not too sure that i'd personally go out of my way,to hunt out such rare minor variants (or even unrecorded stuff)....but like i've said,it would no doubt come in handy from time to time.Thanks once again,to all for your time....i'll certainly check out the book suggestions.

I agree, F-67 Obv 6, Rev H.

Heres mine, anyone want to give me a hundred plus? ;)

post-439-1195219879_thumb.jpg

post-4030-1194395332_thumb.jpgpost-4030-1194395307_thumb.jpg

I have the same trouble identifying certain bronze Pennies myself, I have an 1861 penny but I have know idea what variety it is apart from it is has a toothed border. The Spinks 2006 Coins of Enland book has 7 pages dedicated to the penny but I am still lost.

Can anyone help me out here, also would you say the grade is Fine?.

Thanks, all help is appreciated

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hard to grade based on those photos. Fine looks about right.

Looks like Gouby obverse J (B of BRITT is close to Victoria's head), reverse d (rock to left of lighthouse, lighthouse top NOT rounded).

That makes it Gouby BP 1861 K, Freeman 29

Hope this helps,