British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hussulo

Coins stolen at COINEX

Some of you might have heard about COINEX. It's an annual British coin fair which is held in Earls court London during the 28th and 29th of September.

This year there was what has been described as a professional theft during the 28th.

DNW the auctioneers were targeted and many highlights from their previous days auction were stolen. They include a gold patter Guinea 1787 by L.Pingo, a pattern 1820 £2 in gold by Pistrucci amongst other patterns and Charles I silver coins.

Anyone with any information should contact DNW via:

Tel. 020 7016 1700

email. auctions@dnw.co.uk

Could merchandise like this even be shifted? Granted they could melt them down but there can't be much money in that and bringing them back to market would be suicide. Unless they're stolen to order of course, they do seem quite specific.

I've just been watching BBC TV News where they say there is a problem of copper coins - pre 1992 - are being melted down, illegally, as the price of the copper content is greater than the face value. This applies to all countries.

Our copper collections are therefore becoming rarer (and more valuable) :unsure:

I've just been watching BBC TV News where they say there is a problem of copper coins - pre 1992 - are being melted down, illegally, as the price of the copper content is greater than the face value. This applies to all countries.

Our copper collections are therefore becoming rarer (and more valuable) :unsure:

You could be right Geordie. I found some interesting BBC news articles about it:

LINK

[You could be right Geordie. I found some interesting BBC news articles about it:

LINK

This was also said to have been a problem in the last days of lsd when the remnants of the 50% (and very occasionally the 92.5%) silver coins were still in circulation. At the end, the bronze coins too contained more metal than their face value.

I've been saving pre 92 coppers for quite a while.I must have £20 face which are worth £30.

Its really not worth the bother.

When pre 47 silver was worth x 4 face it was. :rolleyes: