British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coin_Hunter

Hanged for goldplating sixpences

It says on page 44 of Collectors' Coins GB 2005 that a few people were hanged for gold-plating sixpences referring to the 1887 varieties one of which was withdrawn. Someone has told me that hanging for coinage offences was abolished 1832 - who is right? The book or my (allegedly) erudite friend?

I googled it(thanks George Bush :P ) and came up with lots of early references, ie 17th century etc. But nothing 19th.

I had it from a very reliable source that at least 1 person (a lady) was hanged for attempting to pass off a gold plated 1st type 1887 sixpence. I'm not sure now if the offence was passing it off, or creating it with the intention to deceive. I think I read it in a book, but can't remember where.

Hi,

Looking at the Times archive (1887-1889), six weeks to 12 months prison - depending on previous.

Seems like a big leap to hanging!

Regards

Teg

Maybe she had a lot of previous! Or maybe she was sentenced to hanging but got off with a year in gaol.

Apparently not so according to this source, which appears to be thorough with the study therein:

Females Executed in Britain 1868-1955

Notice that all of these are capital offenses ie murder.

Apparently not so according to this source, which appears to be thorough with the study therein:

Females Executed in Britain 1868-1955

Notice that all of these are capital offenses ie murder.

Perhaps she was goldplating the sixpence with the gold from his teeth? :D

Scottish,

Looks like Mr Berry had a lucky escape, he had to execute a girl he had danced with previously at the police ball. I bet that "killed off" any chance of a relationship!! :P

Yeah, I had to bookmark that site, it is right fascinating in a macabre fashion, like reading about the Yank servicemen executed during WWII for murder of other soldiers, women in town etc.

Scotty,

By "Yank"...if you are referring to an U.S. Service man. That is an incorrect statement. The only U.S. Serviceman ever executed in WWII, was a soldier that refused to go back into combat... it was not for killing civilians.

It was thought in later years, that the guy really had a nervous breakdown, and was not suitable to return to the front, and probably should have been hospitalized, instead of executed for cowardice.

In my lifetime, and that includes the 2nd WW, that was the only incident of a U.S. soldier being executed by the U.S.

Bob C.

RLC;

Please see this:

Executions in Britain until 1964

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. The source you site must be in another location, ie the USA or something. Actually if I recall correctly quite a few servicemen were killed for desertion on up through WWII. A nasty little secret...

Scotty,

I have never seen your list before, but that is differant situation than what I was referring too.

Your list is civilian deaths, ie... not as a result of military action in combat, as in the incident in Vietnam (Mai Lai). I thought you were referring to deaths in combat. Obviously if you murder someone in a distant country...England, etc., you will have to answer for it, just as you would here in the USA.

Our servicemen stationed in England, during WWII, were there at the courtesy of the English government, and civilian rules apply in that situation, even if you are in the military (in the military it's called "in hands of civilian authorities"). Those types of situations (assaults) happened in the Japanese Islands also, after the war, (issues with servicemen assualting civilians, while on liberty), and those GI's were sent to jail.

The incident I was referring to was the only "military" execution of an American soldier in combat. That incident took place in Germany, when the then General Eisenhower, failed to grant a pardon. That execution was the only one since that time, by the U.S. Military.

At any rate they all paid for their deeds, one way or another.

Bob C.

We are going into darkside OT with the discussion on the servicemen. I believe that one thing is certain, it appears as though nobody was executed for gold plating a tanner.

The article cited above states that the servicemen were apparently convicted of crimes against civilians, but notice that it states "Under US Military Jurisdiction" which I read as that the US military carried out the said deed and not the English authorities. At any rate, it does some justice to the then saying that Brits uttered "Overpaid, Oversexed, and Over here". I am sure that Americans felt the same way during the Revolutionary War, and War of 1812.

I've changed the wording in the 2008 edition.