British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hussulo

$36,800 realised for Gothic Proof Crown

$36,800 (including buyers fees) realised for Gothic Proof Crown at Heritage.

Link to coin

A lot of dosh for a gothic crown. Personally I think the one in Baldwin's sale last year was nicer, albeit a bit more expensive.

On the collecting side of things, I thought the 1839/41 proof halfpenny was a lot more interesting. :)

Edited by Rob

Link to coin

A lot of dosh for a gothic crown. Personally I think the one in Baldwin's sale last year was nicer, albeit a bit more expensive.

On the collecting side of things, I thought the 1839/41 proof halfpenny was a lot more interesting. :)

Nice proof Rob,

Good price too. You weren't the lucky bidder by any chance? :)

Link to coin

Nice proof Rob,

Funnily enough - yes. Although I clearly wasn't the only one who noticed it based on the hammer price which is about $200 more than they would normally go for. Talking to Steve Hill at DNW yesterday, he also saw it, but didn't chase it.

Funnily enough - yes. Although I clearly wasn't the only one who noticed it based on the hammer price which is about $200 more than they would normally go for. Talking to Steve Hill at DNW yesterday, he also saw it, but didn't chase it.

Any luck with the Charles shillings {E5!!!} at DNW sale Rob?

The shilling with `N` head mm I had my eye on went mad! along with most of the others.

What is happening to the market? some people are setting very high prices with their winning bids, I sometimes question my collecting habbits! :o

Link to coin

Nice proof Rob,

The one time that slabbing of a UK coin appears to have had a positive outcome, well at least for Rob!! ;)

The over date seems so obvious, I wonder how they missed it! It must have been friday late afternoon coming up to clocking of time when that sailed through NGC.

A rare and lovely coin, nice catch Rob.

Any luck with the Charles shillings {E5!!!} at DNW sale Rob?

The shilling with `N` head mm I had my eye on went mad! along with most of the others.

What is happening to the market? some people are setting very high prices with their winning bids, I sometimes question my collecting habbits! :o

I got the E5/2 as well which pleased me as it has good lustre with cabinet friction only to a few letters and is better than the picture in the catalogue although the lions are not particularly well struck up. It is essentially as struck and was one of the more reasonably priced pieces in the sale probably due to the quality of detail on the reverse. In fact I had a good couple of days with over half the pieces I wanted at Baldwins and 3 of the 6 I targeted at DNW. I also wanted the negro's head, but 950 was too much for the grade so I dropped out and some of the bulk lots at the end which I had as a fall back also had some nice coins with good provenances but went for a bit too much. I also got the Henry IV heavy coinage 1/2d and the 1926 proof 1/2d, both of which I wanted. The latter was particularly pleasing as I can only find half a dozen references to this type in catalogues and most of those are the same coin. I think there are only 2 or possibly 3 available with the Norweb piece being another. I was offered the chance to make a profit 2 minutes after I bought it, but declined on the grounds I may not see another in the next 10-15 years.

There has been some debate as to whether the 1926 and 1927 1/2d proofs are actually proofs, but comparing this piece with later issues I have to say that if it isn't then neither are any of the other dates - so it is.

Link to coin

Nice proof Rob,

The one time that slabbing of a UK coin appears to have had a positive outcome, well at least for Rob!! ;)

Not for the first time have I enjoyed the fruits of their inability to identify coins. Amongst others, the P1051 in the Cheshire Collection has the curls under the truncation missing and is actually a later variety than R42 with further polishing, recutting and refilling of the die which is not recorded in Peck. The unique Freeman 689 was incorrectly slabbed as a P1983 and my 1675/3/2 halfpenny was also incorrectly attributed - all courtesy of NGC.

As much as I detest slabbing, I have to say "Keep it up NGC" as it appears not to be in my interest for their business to fold.

Well done on the E5/2 Rob. I understand most of the ones that I was interested in went to one buyer that Michael S was bidding for. I put in what I could for the A2/2 but it too went mad. It was a nice little collection though. I hope mine raises as much interest when I finally pop my clogs and the family get a chance to sell it all off!

Well done on the non-Chas I coins. I too have mixed feelings about NGC and their (mis) classifications!

Well done on the E5/2 Rob. I understand most of the ones that I was interested in went to one buyer that Michael S was bidding for. I put in what I could for the A2/2 but it too went mad. It was a nice little collection though. I hope mine raises as much interest when I finally pop my clogs and the family get a chance to sell it all off!

Well done on the non-Chas I coins. I too have mixed feelings about NGC and their (mis) classifications!

We were both interested in the same lots. I gave up on the laurel cross ends, but someone else took over albeit to no avail. Some of the lots were absolutely silly, GB and foreign alike. When coin after coin sells for up to 10x estimate or more in a couple of cases, you just sit back and wait for those with deep pockets to get bored of bidding. Then when they have a 5 minute break to nip out and buy that day's Ferrari, or forget to come back from lunch in time in the case of the 1926 1/2d I bought, you get stuck in.