British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Wanteds!

Has anyone a (pref cheap!) copy of Spinks Numismatic Circular dated April 2001 (Vol CIX Number 2) they don't want and would sell me?

I also would like a copy of the British Numismatic Journal xlvii (1978) (just the issue for pages 102 - 113)!

Any help pointing me in the direction of either of these would be much appreciated. UK easiest as I can pay by cheque, otherwise it's probably PayPal ...

Richard

Or ... really decent photocopies of the bits I'm interested in ... just a thought!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Has anyone a (pref cheap!) copy of Spinks Numismatic Circular dated April 2001 (Vol CIX Number 2) they don't want and would sell me?

I also would like a copy of the British Numismatic Journal xlvii (1978) (just the issue for pages 102 - 113)!

Any help pointing me in the direction of either of these would be much appreciated. UK easiest as I can pay by cheque, otherwise it's probably PayPal ...

Richard

Or ... really decent photocopies of the bits I'm interested in ... just a thought!

Tom,

One of the Forum members gave the following link to a digitalbook site a few weeks ago, I am fairly sure all the BNJs are there as free downloads,

http://www.digitalbookindex.org/_search/search010coinsa.asp

John

Richard

Tom,

One of the Forum members gave the following link to a digitalbook site a few weeks ago, I am fairly sure all the BNJs are there as free downloads,

http://www.digitalbookindex.org/_search/search010coinsa.asp

John

If they can't be downloaded, I can scan them in for you.

I think they only have the older versions available for download (pre 1917) unless I am looking in the wrong place!!

The site went down again whilst I was browsing!! :angry:

Yes, I managed to find some old copies but nothing recent. Interesting site though. It'd be good if more things were scanned and available on the internet!

I think Rob's scan may be the best option.

Update! (Yeah, I know it's a real old thread)

I managed to find a copy of the SNC I wanted, albeit through a dealer in the US!

The BNJ, Rob kindly scanned me a copy, but the BNA site now has more recent issues in pdf, if anyone else needs them.

I am still looking for copies of Mark Rasmussen's lists 1,3 and 4 and the auction catalogues mentioned here.

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!

? :huh:

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!

? :huh:

Spam from Pakistan Rob.

But why?

I've been thinking about this : I reckon it's something to do with 'activity' and 'profiles', in other words making a (robot?) spammer seem genuine for some other main focus of activity or attack. (eBay? Amazon? Who knows).

There's an even more sinister explanation: a benefits helpline forum for the disabled has been subject to a slew of trivial registrations that actually proved to be a kind of 'denial of service' attack, as those registrations caused a genuine newsletter sent out by the forum to end up in their hosts' spam server, and the forum had a helluva job trying to prove they were a genuine outfit and not spammers. And it was all due to a high number of registered users who made one irrelevant post and then nothing more, and then proceeded to mark the forum's output as spam, which caused the forum hosts - taken in by the DoS - to mark the forum as spammers and suppress their output.

Maybe this lot are the same thing, but done by some very sore American collectors who don't like our attitude to AT coins and want their revenge? Probably nonsense, but you never know...

Edited by Peckris

Not sure about the American link, but your general point certainly makes sense; in fact the first thing that rationalises it for me! It makes really good sense, thanks for the enlightenment! I tell you, there are a million different ways to defraud decent people, and the more advanced this cyber connection becomes, the more subtle and complex the scams become! The price we have to pay for 'advancement'! Really good theory, Peck! :)

Can someone put this in simple terms so that an idiot like me can understand? I don't understand the criteria used for treating something as spam, nor do I know how to avoid it, nor do I know how to kid/tell the system to let things from people through. It has got so bad here that the wife forwarding me an email from the floor below frequently gets blocked by the email people such that it doesn't even get to my spam box. It just disappears. Not very good and not happy. :angry:

Can someone put this in simple terms so that an idiot like me can understand? I don't understand the criteria used for treating something as spam, nor do I know how to avoid it, nor do I know how to kid/tell the system to let things from people through. It has got so bad here that the wife forwarding me an email from the floor below frequently gets blocked by the email people such that it doesn't even get to my spam box. It just disappears. Not very good and not happy. :angry:

Not sure how much is determined by an Internet Service provider or within the email package Rob.

But my email (was Hotmail, but it changed itself to Outlook) has the option under 'email settings' and 'Preventing junk email' to change how mail from particular senders is treated.

If your wife's address were blocked there it could easily be unblocked. (Blocked senders' mail is just deleted and doesn't even appear in 'Junk').

Might be worth seeing what settings are available to you?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Not sure how much is determined by an Internet Service provider or within the email package Rob.

But my email (was Hotmail, but it changed itself to Outlook) has the option under 'email settings' and 'Preventing junk email' to change how mail from particular senders is treated.

If your wife's address were blocked there it could easily be unblocked. (Blocked senders' mail is just deleted and doesn't even appear in 'Junk').

Might be worth seeing what settings are available to you?

If enough people register with a site, then ask for a site document to be emailed to them (as with that disabled site's advice manual / newsletter), and then flag up that email address as that of a spammer and report it, the site's host and other ISPs can be alerted and place all output from that site's email into a spam server. Which means that NO-ONE - not even the people who are genuine - will get the document. It's one version of what's called a "Denial of Service" (DoS) attack on specific sites, and can cause a great deal of harm. The more common method of attack is to get 000's of simultaneous logins which effectively brings down the site and prevents genuine users from getting in.

You can turn off Junk-mail handling in Outlook. This will stop Outlook from blocking access to links and messages that it considers spam, but you run the risk of being caught out by a dodgy but genuine looking message. However, you will probably find that your ISP also filters out dodgy looking messages so that your email client never even sees them. I use gmail and it regularly puts genuine emails into the online spam folder (which is automatically emptied after 30 days), so you have to check it regularly to ensure nothing is lost for no good reason.

Thanks folks. Looks like mine might be too old a version (2010) for the above. Sadly it says email settings have no filters for preventing junk mail and there's nothing in the bad address list which still leaves the problem of those that go awol. I never get junk mail in the inbox or junk box as it always disappears before getting to me.

Thanks folks. Looks like mine might be too old a version (2010) for the above. Sadly it says email settings have no filters for preventing junk mail and there's nothing in the bad address list which still leaves the problem of those that go awol. I never get junk mail in the inbox or junk box as it always disappears before getting to me.

Try this link. It shows how to configure the Junk email settings in Outlook 2010. You could try turning off the automatic filtering as an experiment. If you still get no junk mail, the issue will be with ISP spam filtering.

thanks Nick. I'm sure it has to be random BT filtering, because there is no consistency to it and no signs of attributed junk. Just a shame that it isn't possible to use the outlook settings to tell BT what to block or remove.

thanks Nick. I'm sure it has to be random BT filtering, because there is no consistency to it and no signs of attributed junk. Just a shame that it isn't possible to use the outlook settings to tell BT what to block or remove.

If you log into your BT mail via the web interface you will probably find you have options regarding whether spam is downloaded by your email client or not.

You're with BT? Then no wonder you have problems. My sister has had massive problems with 'disappearing' emails (and sending) with that particular ISP.

Just had fun and games with BT. Couldn't even log in today. They are still convinced it is working fine. I'm not. I suspect the emails were given to someone on the last redundancy list and they've left.

The woman I spoke to checked the email/forwarding settings, but nothing is blocked apparently, so it looks as if Peck's sister and myself are two of a kind. :huh:

Just had fun and games with BT. Couldn't even log in today. They are still convinced it is working fine. I'm not. I suspect the emails were given to someone on the last redundancy list and they've left.

The woman I spoke to checked the email/forwarding settings, but nothing is blocked apparently, so it looks as if Peck's sister and myself are two of a kind. :huh:

You and Peck brothers? :rolleyes:

Good lord no - heaven forbid!!. We're poles apart politically, dimensionally and in sporting affiliations. but we still get on alright. ;)

Good lord no - heaven forbid!!. We're poles apart politically, dimensionally and in sporting affiliations. but we still get on alright. ;)

Her beard is not on the scale of yours Rob :D

Dimensionally? You mean we're not on the same TARDIS? Or do you mean you're a fairly big rugger type and I'm a scrawny runt? :lol:

Her beard is not on the scale of yours Rob :D

Dimensionally? You mean we're not on the same TARDIS? Or do you mean you're a fairly big rugger type and I'm a scrawny runt? :lol:

Something like that. :D