British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

i know, its a bit less insane on the prices now though, got those coins i posted above for good prices.

i need thoughts on that farthing though, i wouln't normally bid higher then £2 total for a farthing like that but the date was intreguing enough for a bid raise.

A BU 1919 shilling for just £24.00 !!! ~ only 2 bids, and mine was the higher.

Since the postal dispute started I've noticed a diminution of interest in e bay coin bidding. I've taken advantage of this and got 4 real bargains recently, all of which have been delivered bar one. Anybody else noticed this, or is it my imagination ?

post-4682-1256988620_thumb.jpg

post-4682-1256988654_thumb.jpg

The obverse looks different on the pic, but coin in hand reveals a true BU specimen. Really pleased B)

cant say i have, did finally win a queen anne piece though (worn and holed but under a fiver).

974684.jpg

4 quid, :D

974685.jpg

3 quid

cant say i have, did finally win a queen anne piece though (worn and holed but under a fiver).

974684.jpg

4 quid, :D

974685.jpg

3 quid

Scott, Let me know by email (RLC35@aol.com), if you want to sell the 1876 Indian Penny. It appears to be in VG+ condition.

Regards, Bob C.

I've got an 1873 in a bit better condition than that....the full LIBERTY is legible. Any good to you?

I've got an 1873 in a bit better condition than that....the full LIBERTY is legible. Any good to you?

Chris, Send me a pic of it, and the price you need, to RLC35@aol.com. I'll let you know if I can use it.

Hi all,

its been a while since I first started this 'coin aquisition of the week' post and its amazing how many users have contributed to it! Hopefully my latest aquisition will raise a few eyebrows. Basically its a 24ct gold coin produced in the year Showa 48 (1973) to celebrate 60th renovation of the Grand Shrine of Ise. Its part of a hoard of gold and silver religious artefact that my brother and I have recovered from the River Wear in Durham City. Some of you may well seen articles in the press recently (see link below) about the finds and how it once belonged to the 100th Archbishop of Canterbury Arthur Michael Ramsey. I belive it was presented to Ramsey when he visited Tokyo by Nikkyo Niwano (Founder and former President of the Japanese Buddhist movement Risho Kosei Kai with 6.5 million members worldwide). Clearly it is an amazing coin in stunning condition and very possibly worth a penny or two.

Our dilema is a strange one as under a licenced agreement we are entitled to 50% of any value of the hoard. Simple question really though how do I go about getting a true value for this coin? Bearing in mind who gave it to who the value could increase significantly to the right collector. Does anyone have any suggestion how to get this valued? We also have several gold silver and bronze medallions from the Vatican all bearing the Lating legend 'Pont Palus VI - but thats a story for another day!!!

Guardian newspaper article

post-2177-1258061895_thumb.jpg

Pyra1.jpg

Pyra2.jpg

Edward the Confessor Pyramids penny. Earncil on York. One of the best portraits I've seen on this issue, must be in-hand to be truly appreciated.

Hi all,

its been a while since I first started this 'coin aquisition of the week' post and its amazing how many users have contributed to it! Hopefully my latest aquisition will raise a few eyebrows. Basically its a 24ct gold coin produced in the year Showa 48 (1973) to celebrate 60th renovation of the Grand Shrine of Ise. Its part of a hoard of gold and silver religious artefact that my brother and I have recovered from the River Wear in Durham City. Some of you may well seen articles in the press recently (see link below) about the finds and how it once belonged to the 100th Archbishop of Canterbury Arthur Michael Ramsey. I belive it was presented to Ramsey when he visited Tokyo by Nikkyo Niwano (Founder and former President of the Japanese Buddhist movement Risho Kosei Kai with 6.5 million members worldwide). Clearly it is an amazing coin in stunning condition and very possibly worth a penny or two.

Our dilema is a strange one as under a licenced agreement we are entitled to 50% of any value of the hoard. Simple question really though how do I go about getting a true value for this coin? Bearing in mind who gave it to who the value could increase significantly to the right collector. Does anyone have any suggestion how to get this valued? We also have several gold silver and bronze medallions from the Vatican all bearing the Lating legend 'Pont Palus VI - but thats a story for another day!!!

The value of "treasure trove" is decided by a coroner, who takes advice from reputable experts. In any case, you have to accept the coroner's verdict, rather than putting an independent value on the item(s).

Hi all,

Very interesting & beautiful coin shown in the pic.

It makes you wonder how the artefacts concerned found their way into the river (at least one being very modern, from 1973)

It makes you wonder how the artefacts concerned found their way into the river (at least one being very modern, from 1973)

It is a stunning coin but as you point out its obviously less than 300 years old and it is unlikely therefore to find its way to the Coroner as treasure. We have spoken in depth to the FLO but they are having to take advice from the British Museum as to the way forward. There is every chance that its not treasure under the 1996 Act. Therefore we would be faced with getting our own valuation - hence this request for any pointers.

There has been so much speculation of how it got in to the river. Personnaly I think Maev Kennedys report in the Guardian (see link above) is very accurate. The Cathedral website carries a different story - hence the global attention from the world press all running with headlines like;

"Mystery grips Britains religious community - just how did gold and silver belonging to a former Archbishop of Canterbury end up in the river?"

Oh noooooooooooooo :( I've been looking out for a 1903 open 3 for ages, how did I miss that?? 49p ???? (kicks self all over the house)

There's one on Ebay, £25 at present

:)

1903 1d open 3

Oh noooooooooooooo :( I've been looking out for a 1903 open 3 for ages, how did I miss that?? 49p ???? (kicks self all over the house)

There's one on Ebay, £25 at present

:)

1903 1d open 3

Thanks for that - now watching it...

A new purchase coming my way in the next two months.

You know Chris, I kind of regretted selling that last 1688 half guinea I had, yeah sure the eye on it was a little weird and annoying, but I thought i've got to get myself another. So finally I persuaded myself to take the plunge. This one's in better condition too!

972991.jpg

Got my eye on a Louis d'or next, it's been a while since I added any new coins to my 'Ancien Regime' royal mugshot gallery.

Nice.

In the future can people please be 100% sure that they want to sell me coins before they send them off! The last thing I want to read is sob stories about how much you miss them! ;-)

found this 1895 2mm on Ebay, "detector find" poor seller's picture and even dirtier before I gave it a good wash

975840.jpg

looks much better in hand, very difficult to get a decent image

looks like this was AU when dropped 100 yrs or so ago

:rolleyes:

PS Chris why doesn't this site allow me to use Photobucket any more?

Do give us a picture of the new and improved version. Nice collector type purchase.

Do give us a picture of the new and improved version. Nice collector type purchase.

That is the improved version, after soap & water with soft bristled nail brush

wondering whether to go down the olive oil route

the picture is a lightened scan, I'll try and get better images via my camera

nice find, i got some nice pieces which are like that but with the green patina, for a very good price (EF+ 1901 halpenny, similar grade 5 centimes napoleon III)

buy of the week? well this was bought last week but hey

975762.jpg

975760.jpg

and a 1728 2 kopeck in a worn stae but with overstike of an earlier design. all these cost were £7.45

the jetton is R rated on a french site, and is worth about 40 euros

and if that second one is a charles II 2 maravedis, type 1 thats another scarce coin, thats a bargain

I don't know. I've never used photobucket myself, but certainly haven't changed anything that would prevent any form of external links. Have they done something?

I don't know. I've never used photobucket myself, but certainly haven't changed anything that would prevent any form of external links. Have they done something?

I get this error message when I try to attach photos <<<http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt14/microtome/18952mmcrud.jpg>>>

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to

If it's not you, the maybe you hosting company has issues

:( David

What's the exact path of the error page it displays when you try it?

What's the exact path of the error page it displays when you try it?

18952mmcrud.jpg

weird it now works!

4 attempts this morning failed, error message was above my reply on a pink background