Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Recommended Posts

Hope you're not in a flood-affected area, Dave?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 11:37 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Hope you're not in a flood-affected area, Dave?

Berchtesgaden is the closest area to me but a few hundred KMs away, its crazy weather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 8:53 PM, copper123 said:

These set have been very prone to being split up for gain since they were minted , in fact I am sure around %50  have been broken up over the years

The 1937 Gold sets are also prone for being split for gain, everyone chasing the elusive PF70

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know- they are £80+ now!

Yamaha-PF70-Digital-Piano.jpg.81e9c0337caf4d24c1c724562b0d3e1e.jpg

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I know- they are £80+ now!

Yamaha-PF70-Digital-Piano.jpg.81e9c0337caf4d24c1c724562b0d3e1e.jpg

You would need a very large slab to encapsulate that....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

You would need a very large slab to encapsulate that....

...and it would stop you playing "Three coins in the fountain". ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

You would need a very large slab to encapsulate that....

Upon further thought, the slabbing would encompass MANY KEYS.....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up this one yesterday in a Whitman folder of half crowns at about scrap silver price. I can't say I had the proof 1927 on my target list, but I am happy to add it to my collection now I have it. It looks to me as if it has seen some circulation before being put away in the folder - I wonder how it got out?

 

1927 HC Type 2 1-side.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddy, are you certain it is a proof specimen? I have seen some nice currency...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah - I was going from the Spink book which only mentions this design of reverse in proof. Were they released in circulation strike too?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Were they released in circulation strike too?

No - this design was proof only with 15,000 specimens struck. One does occasionally see circulated specimens of this issue - some sets were broken up and spent at the time : what a great shame! A good find certainly!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes, egg on face. Yes they were only released in proof or the odd matte proof (well, quite odd at that). I must have an excuse somewhere and looked at my own set. Paddy, good grab there! 

Funny thing is that many years ago I put together a set of G5 half crowns in top condition and then had a Capitol Plastics holder made for them and then got all of the proof VIP G5s except for the 1911 matte proof (Damn!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, azda said:

My latest. Half Sovereign

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-16 um 21.36.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-16 um 21.37.32.png

Here’s how an 1835 did at Heritage this week

3777968E-4ABC-4468-BD31-C526856A3574.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, very nice Tony!

I think those Heritage prices were crazy! Who is buying these?

A 1937 proof half crown in 68* sold for 4500USD. Yikes!!! I absolutely don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at Richard's marvelous site and for fun looked up a 1953 proof farthing that I got already slabbed along with the 1/2d and penny of. like date; these graded by NGC and IMO fairly very high and of wonderful appearance.

1953 Farthing - Proof 67*Cameo Red.     F 662A

1953 1/2 Penny - Proof 67 UltraCameo Red.  F 465

1953 Penny - Proof 67 UltraCameo Red.     F  246

Sadly, not the rare type of 1/2 or 1 penny, but by using Richard's site appear to be as above. Is the farthing anything special by type?

I got them because of the outstanding presentation and colour. I can't get but very poor pictures off my iPhone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were 4 different farthings types issued in 53 F660 to F663 and the F662 being the most difficult to find. It is the only one I haven't got in my collection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Again, very nice Tony!

I think those Heritage prices were crazy! Who is buying these?

A 1937 proof half crown in 68* sold for 4500USD. Yikes!!! I absolutely don't get it.

Dave is the name lol. Who is buying, well there is a Greek guy who has some high grade halves, I believe he would have been involved in this bidding, whether he got it or not is another story.

The craving for high slab numbers is ridiculous right now, fuelled by certain people on YT and Heritage marketing. I get the feeling this side of the market is rigged. I knew a guy who paid 10k for a Geo IIII proof half Sov, Heritage wanted him to consign it, he had got it graded and came back as the finest but not Cameo designated, he said he felt it was Ultra cameo or wards to that effect, he said if it was graded as such that he would submit it.

Heritage sent it off to NGC and low and behold it came back as the Ultra Cameo he and Heritage asked for,  it sold for $26,400, the hype for high grade half Sovereigns right now is real.

IMG_3409.JPG

Edited by azda
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sleepy said:

There were 4 different farthings types issued in 53 F660 to F663 and the F662 being the most difficult to find. It is the only one I haven't got in my collection.

I seem to have picked up recently that the F662 proof is less difficult than the currency (which runs contrary to what Colin Cooke always said, but times and knowledge change...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, so sorry. Hope the Alzheimer's is not kicking in!

I am not usually a conspiracy person but your comments on the 1/2 sov are VERY believable. I have seen some really questionable grading on matte proofs of 20th C. and some others over the years. And I mean in series that short of Steve Hill, I might know as much as anybody. The fact that so much value is packed into the slab number really irritates me as I do think there ha been "adjustments" on grade, depending the source. 

I really did not know if the 1953 farthing was anything special as I bought the three based on superb eye appeal, really beautiful. Not sure if they reproduce well with my sorry photographic skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Dave, so sorry. Hope the Alzheimer's is not kicking in!

I am not usually a conspiracy person but your comments on the 1/2 sov are VERY believable. I have seen some really questionable grading on matte proofs of 20th C. and some others over the years. And I mean in series that short of Steve Hill, I might know as much as anybody. The fact that so much value is packed into the slab number really irritates me as I do think there ha been "adjustments" on grade, depending the source. 

I really did not know if the 1953 farthing was anything special as I bought the three based on superb eye appeal, really beautiful. Not sure if they reproduce well with my sorry photographic skills.

To be honest, it has killed coin collecting for me. Too many have ruined the hobby with their flash bullshit talk thinking they know it all, there is way too much greed, followed by this drive for perfect coins, or should I say, a high slab number, regardless of how the coin actually looks, its the slab number that counts for most of them, its not collecting, it's investing these days, maybe that's why there's so little activity on the forum, not so many new members, or new threads.If w@nkers like Numistacker were to come on this forum, he'd have his arse handed to him one a plate.

 

Edited by azda
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL. Well said, I couldn't agree more. And you are so right about no new collectors and precious few members and contributions.

All we hear about is this "boom" in the coin market. Hell, coins are not a market but rather an entity. If you want to get ill, look on the PCGS forums and look at either USA coins or now this new business with foreign including GB and now Latin American coins. Or better yet, don't look....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend most of my collecting time in local markets - I have a stall selling coins and as a result have bags of coins brought to me regularly. My experience is probably at the low end of the market, but I find much more positive. I sell lots to new collectors who are far more interested in the attractiveness of the coin and its history, not some remotely attributed "grade".

Today I stalled out at a local car boot sale. I spent the best part of 3 hours talking about and selling coins to enthusiastic new collectors without once getting into a debate about "grade". To me, this is what coin collecting should be about.

The top end of the market is dominated by "investors" and collectors with more money than interest in real coins. I will stick with grass roots thank you.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What markets do you frequent Paddy being a fellow west country resident might see if I can come and pick up a bargain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I spend most of my collecting time in local markets - I have a stall selling coins and as a result have bags of coins brought to me regularly. My experience is probably at the low end of the market, but I find much more positive. I sell lots to new collectors who are far more interested in the attractiveness of the coin and its history, not some remotely attributed "grade".

Today I stalled out at a local car boot sale. I spent the best part of 3 hours talking about and selling coins to enthusiastic new collectors without once getting into a debate about "grade". To me, this is what coin collecting should be about.

The top end of the market is dominated by "investors" and collectors with more money than interest in real coins. I will stick with grass roots thank you.

Paddy, how well put. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, azda said:

To be honest, it has killed coin collecting for me. Too many have ruined the hobby with their flash bullshit talk thinking they know it all, there is way too much greed, followed by this drive for perfect coins, or should I say, a high slab number, regardless of how the coin actually looks, its the slab number that counts for most of them, its not collecting, it's investing these days, maybe that's why there's so little activity on the forum, not so many new members, or new threads.If w@nkers like Numistacker were to come on this forum, he'd have his arse handed to him one a plate.

A dinner plate, Dave?

I do agree with your thoughts though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×