British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

I'd agree with the grade opinion on the 1887, maybe slightly less on the 1902, here's mine

1902_1d_02_cgs_85_uin_3750_01_1600.jpg

• Like 8

The first, from the obverse WOULD have gotten uncirculated - no marks, or issues. However, the reverse lets it down so that even with somewhat soft strike appears to have cabinet or other friction on the high points. The second looks to have uncirculated quality without a lot of "red" lustre.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks guys for your expertise and help. The coins have now been delivered and I am quite pleased with them. The seller's photo didn't get the colour right for the 1902; it is red but the lustre is somewhat subdued and not blazing like Paul's excellent example. It also has small spots as shown but there is no loss of lustre or discoloration on the high points. Hence, I agree it can be called UNC (unless one use the strict definition of bronze UNC needing 100% lustre).

I wasn't confident with grading the 1887 reverse from the photo, particularly as the reverse strike is weak as VS pointed out. I had a very careful look at the fingers and couldn't see any wear and decided it is better than EF before buying. Now with the coin in hand, the obverse is nice and has very reflective fields. However, the reverse has loss of lustre on the high points. Happy with the AUNC assessment.

• Like 1

I have picked up a load of mixed coinage in the last few days and having great fun sorting through it. Mostly foreign or common GB scrap/redeemable, although there were 2 1926 ME, several 1918H and 1919Hs,  and 3 1902 LTs in the pennies there - all low grade. Most interesting GB so far I think is this token:

Rodney token 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 4

The latest addition to my Charles I halfcrown collection, this a type 2b.

Ex Lingford, Porter, Bull (the plate coin for 127/17)

1631_hc_group_ii_type_2b_mm_rose_over_plume_01_ref_02110_01_2400.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/27/2020 at 7:45 PM, 1949threepence said:

They're very hard to get in high grade.

If anyone comes across any at about £35 im interested.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, Paddy said:

I have picked up a load of mixed coinage in the last few days and having great fun sorting through it. Mostly foreign or common GB scrap/redeemable, although there were 2 1926 ME, several 1918H and 1919Hs,  and 3 1902 LTs in the pennies there - all low grade. Most interesting GB so far I think is this token:

Rodney token 1-horz Red.jpg

Not a great deal of time to spend it.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, VickySilver said:

The first, from the obverse WOULD have gotten uncirculated - no marks, or issues. However, the reverse lets it down so that even with somewhat soft strike appears to have cabinet or other friction on the high points. The second looks to have uncirculated quality without a lot of "red" lustre.

Id have that as UNC any day .

Anyone see the 1845 farthing large "45" sell the other day for £8.50 . never seen one so cheap it was in fine grade so no great shakes as far as grade was concerned , but £8.50 there must have been only one person saw it , anyway mine is in not far off EF grade so I could not have upgraded it

pic

1845.webp

19 minutes ago, copper123 said:

pic

1845.webp

Link does not work for me?

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

The latest addition to my Charles I halfcrown collection, this a type 2b.

Ex Lingford, Porter, Bull (the plate coin for 127/17)

1631_hc_group_ii_type_2b_mm_rose_over_plume_01_ref_02110_01_2400.jpg

Beautiful coin! Congratulations 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, copper123 said:

Anyone see the 1845 farthing large "45" sell the other day for £8.50 . never seen one so cheap it was in fine grade so no great shakes as far as grade was concerned , but £8.50 there must have been only one person saw it , anyway mine is in not far off EF grade so I could not have upgraded it

The link doesn't work here either.

I took a look at the recent completed sales for 1845 farthings. Is this the one you mean? That's nowhere near fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Farthings-1845-amp-1850-/383770017751?hash=item595a79bfd7%3Ag%3AOVAAAOSwYJpfjAFn&nma=true&si=KnCYPKtJSFQ%2BOzlOgHdn9CGd1JU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The link doesn't work here either.

I took a look at the recent completed sales for 1845 farthings. Is this the one you mean? That's nowhere near fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Farthings-1845-amp-1850-/383770017751?hash=item595a79bfd7%3Ag%3AOVAAAOSwYJpfjAFn&nma=true&si=KnCYPKtJSFQ%2BOzlOgHdn9CGd1JU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

thats the one , clearly a large date , about two a year appear on ebay.

Its a dodgy fine yes more like near fine but its a good alternative to the coin that colin cooke coins have for sale at £110

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Looks as though CC have reduced it to £95. Graded fine. Fair would be generous.

So yes, absolutely right, compared with that the Ebay coin was a steal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Looks as though CC have reduced it to £95. Graded fine. Fair would be generous.

So yes, absolutely right, compared with that the Ebay coin was a steal.

Those edge bumps yuk , yuk ,yuk

This one just added to my Sixpence collection with a golden tone. Not sure if this one had been cleaned and has started to retone. Not the best but at a reasonable price.

1893 Victoria Sixpence Rev-Obv.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 5

And another, this one a little better.

568707674_1897SixpenceVictoria2ndRev-Obv.jpg.d86cb12fada01a8b6d2309b9431dbe5e.jpg

• Like 9

An 1806 contemporary counterfeit half penny - my forth so far4_samlet_a.thumb.jpg.bf1131c0d19270a0d45b340461447f82.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, seuk said:

An 1806 contemporary counterfeit half penny - my forth so far4_samlet_a.thumb.jpg.bf1131c0d19270a0d45b340461447f82.jpg

Did they manage to put any sort of imitation engrailing on the edge?

23 hours ago, seuk said:

Nice - is this struck or cast ? I've only ever seen cast examples of the 1806-7 type, must have handled a few in the last year or two dealing. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, seuk said:

How strange that anyone would forge such a low value and common coin. It's not as it there was a shortage of small change by then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

How strange that anyone would forge such a low value and common coin. It's not as it there was a shortage of small change by then.

That's true Chris.

By the late 1980s/early 1990s the pound coin was pretty much small value coinage yet fakes were everywhere. I remember lads would go from pub to pub selling them. They were seven for a fiver. Same weight, so worked in ciggy machines, tunnel tolls etc. (handy if travelling across the Mersey on a regular basis). Maybe those half pennies were sold in the same way in the early 19th century? Eight for threepence? Three for a penny? Though who knows which coins ciggy machines were accepting back in 1806…. :D:D:D

How times change. Ciggy machines: do they even still exist? Are there still enough smokers to be worth the bother? It must be 30 years since I last stood in front of one.

Speakers belting out some unholy din.

"Macca.

Macca…

MACCA!!!

Have you got ten pence?

I…SAID.

HAVE YOU GOT TEN PENCE???"

Ah, happy days…...

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, oldcopper said:

Did they manage to put any sort of imitation engrailing on the edge?

Yes - As far I remember they all have.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:32 PM, JLS said:

Nice - is this struck or cast ? I've only ever seen cast examples of the 1806-7 type, must have handled a few in the last year or two dealing. 

Struck - I don't really collect cast examples.

23 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

There was a shortage from round 1811 and onwards, when we see the second wave of copper tokens. But I think most of the counterfeits are early and close to the date of the official issue. They are typical about 1 gr lighter than the official weight. 

Previously posted in the hammered section, but an acquisition from this week

1653_hc_01_ref_02112_02_sellers_alan_worby_2400.jpg