British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Another coin received from Colin Cooke. This time an 1898 florin, again seems to be more difficult to obtain in high grades than the rest of the series.

Clipboard.jpg

• Like 5

just received from @Rob  my first victorian farthing

DD.JPG

I picked up a few Halfpennies at a local auction - first chance to do anything with my collection since shutdown.

This 1745 was a slight upgrade:

1745 HD 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 2

... This 1857 was a substantial upgrade and the first I have identified as Reverse type B:

1857 HD 1+B 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 2

... and this 1878 was a different variety to my existing, as well as an upgrade. This I think is 15+O, my other is 14+O:

1878 HD 15+O 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, ozjohn said:

I've found it difficult to obtain high grade circulation coins  for this year are very hard to obtain while there are plenty of proofs. I think the one I have just received is a definite improvement with the milled edge almost perfect but that's not to say the original one I had was a bad coin and I will keep it. I know it may seem strange referring  to the edge but I think it is a very good guide to grading these coins given the light strikes that are common for this series.

The first coin jumps out to me as better with less flattening of the ear and the tash. 

I struggle with any G5 coin with a flat top of ear as it seems to be the first place to go, but presumably this isn't always wear from circulation. 

@Peckris 2

^ your two pence worth?

I got a 1911 halfcrown recently and seems to be a slightly trickier date in the series too, so I'm OK with this one, it's decent IMO, but they're never quite there. 

PSX_20200723_015237.thumb.jpg.51d9c05c6731fd4e81699228c825a322.jpgPSX_20200723_015305.thumb.jpg.1b5318e3c10797ce132cead48f2b5a36.jpg

• Like 1

my one too for comparison,

111.thumb.jpg.cfadf9c3812e4fe7cb789d8ff4aa0263.jpg 222.jpg.c44ccbc470558404cfdcf6e781efb97e.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, damian1986 said:

The first coin jumps out to me as better with less flattening of the ear and the tash. 

I struggle with any G5 coin with a flat top of ear as it seems to be the first place to go, but presumably this isn't always wear from circulation. 

@Peckris 2

^ your two pence worth?

I got a 1911 halfcrown recently and seems to be a slightly trickier date in the series too, so I'm OK with this one, it's decent IMO, but they're never quite there. 

My twelve and a half pence worth! That's a good 1911. George V is always tricky to find fully struck up currency pieces - the portrait is so deep cut that you will see areas on most reverses that are weak. Add to that the gross inflation of WW1 and vast increase in mintages, and you get a situation where dies are being severely overused so even BU specimens 1915 - 1919 can appear to have sustained wear. Add to that the hoarding of pre-1920 silver after 1920 with a resulting surfeit of high grade pieces that are in the range VF - EF and you begin to see what a complex subject this is.

46 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

My twelve and a half pence worth! That's a good 1911. George V is always tricky to find fully struck up currency pieces - the portrait is so deep cut that you will see areas on most reverses that are weak. Add to that the gross inflation of WW1 and vast increase in mintages, and you get a situation where dies are being severely overused so even BU specimens 1915 - 1919 can appear to have sustained wear. Add to that the hoarding of pre-1920 silver after 1920 with a resulting surfeit of high grade pieces that are in the range VF - EF and you begin to see what a complex subject this is.

Thanks for your comments. All part of the fun finding them I suppose 😅 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, damian1986 said:

Thanks for your comments. All part of the fun finding them I suppose 😅 

Another complication: 1911 - 1913 are on average much better struck than the following years, but the mintages are so very much smaller that they too are scarce in top grades!

Posted (edited)

A couple of new additions. Not the highest grades but lovely toning on both.

1836-hc.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 4

Image may contain: 1 person

• Like 4

another gap filled in my penny run .

No photo description available.

• Like 1

OT is harder to find

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

OT is harder to find

I found the PT hard enough to get at a reasonable price ,so I doubt I will be getting an OT anytime soon . Still got a couple of spaces to fill first . 

• Like 1

Edward IV half angel with mm. cinquefoil over pierced cross both sides. This is Blunt & Whitton obverse XX and their reverse XXI, though they don't record the reverse overmark which based on the underlying mark would be reverse XX, which they don't record. The extensive cinquefoil issues appear to approximately postdate the second pyx trial (1st December 1475) of the second reign.

A notable feature of the cinquefoil group is the almost complete absence of muling with other marks, whereas prior to cinquefoil there is extensive muling of marks giving a clear chronological sequence. Only a single groat mule is known, where a cinquefoil obverse is paired with a XIX reverse. A characteristic of the this overmarked die is the 4 line ship whereas later cinquefoil coins have a 5 line ship. There is a cinquefoil 4 line ship from a different reverse die (TWW rev. 13) in the BM from the Clarke-Thornhill bequest in 1935, but it is not clear from an illustration if this is overmarked. Whatever, cinquefoil over anything is notable for its general absence and possibly only seen on the approximately 5 or 6 half angel coins extant. There appears to have been a wholesale withdrawal of existing dies, with completely new dies introduced for the new mark.

For further reading of Edward IV & V gold coinage 1465-85 see Tim Webb Ware's excellent article in the 1985 BNJ. This coin from his dies 5*/14.

c2200-Ed.IV half angel cinquefoil over pierced cross.jpg

• Like 4

Latest addition to my Charles I halfcrown collection, this time a York Mint type 5

1643_hc_york_mm_lion_type_5_01_ref_02085_02_sellers_alan_worby_2400.jpg

• Like 7

I don't have anything on this one other than it was with AMR 7 or 8 years ago, but haven't finished the 3As yet.

Rob, Paul, both stunning coins I can only dream about owning! My collection has an extremely long way to go to even get close to the breadth and qaulity of the ones you both must own!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Rob, Paul, both stunning coins I can only dream about owning! My collection has an extremely long way to go to even get close to the breadth and qaulity of the ones you both must own!

You're in good company. :)

On 7/9/2020 at 8:33 PM, Diaconis said:

Untitled.jpg.df88f48167269a014163f827051afbd4.jpg

couldn't post links so had to screenshot

The Numismatic reviews are also there but couldn't see a mention

Thanks anyway. I checked from when it was listed in Seaby's Bulletin in 1964 through to 1970 (i.e. after the stacks acquisition date on the ticket) and drew a blank, so that one has gone cold.

Nice Briot portrait, my one and only Charles I Scottish example

1637_12_sh_sco_01_ref_02084_03_sellers_alan_worby_2400.jpg

• Like 10