British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Took some more pictures of the 1898 Victoria Sixpence. Still cannot capture the tone as it is in hand. Does it look any better??

424541563_1898VictoriaSixpenceRev400.jpg.f529b198302944d1af6a2aaa6ea4d6c7.jpg2112902313_1898VictoriaSixpenceObv400.jpg.671d38f2c2db398510905dcb1f5195cb.jpg

• Like 4

More light!

You can never have too much!

4 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

More light!

You can never have too much!

I beg to differ! A recipe for glare and / or high contrast.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 8:51 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I beg to differ! A recipe for glare and / or high contrast.

Agreed

• Like 1

Just now, Rob said:

That reverse looks good :)

Thanks Rob, yes, eye appeal is a big factor for me of course, haymarking on obverse detracts a bit for me but still attractive imo

While we're on Victorian silver, what do you make of this 1899 halfcrown ? I reckon much closer to EF than uncirculated. 

1899.thumb.JPG.42fc93297b1ed7510e0d64cafaae8881.JPG18992.thumb.JPG.b1c6db34434bab32b4667322eec97527.JPG

• Like 4

Looks like EF to me. Wear on hair, veil etc, etc,

But, the lack of significant contact marks and the even gold toning makes it an attractive piece. If it were mine, I would want to hang on to it even if I have an UNC example. 

• Like 2

Straight EF for me. 

Very nice toned coin. I think the reverse is a tad better than the obverse. As for grade I think there would be a low MS if it was graded by one of the US TPGs.  One of the advantages of the Shelden scale is the extra scope for micro grading which IMO this coin deserves. Not that I agree with all the TPGed coins I see. If this coin is submitted for gradingI hope it is accurately appraised.

GEF or at least EF.

IMO, this would grade at AU53/55 at best. There is clear wear on veil, cheek, etc.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, JLS said:

While we're on Victorian silver, what do you make of this 1899 halfcrown ? I reckon much closer to EF than uncirculated. 

1899.thumb.JPG.42fc93297b1ed7510e0d64cafaae8881.JPG18992.thumb.JPG.b1c6db34434bab32b4667322eec97527.JPG

EF for me maybe a tad better. Nice looking coin 😃

Had a few newbies

Shillings:

1734-shilling.jpg

1821-shilling.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Halfcrowns:

1893-halfcrown-2.jpg

1897-halfcrown-2.jpg

Om the 1893 coin there seems to be  3 small metal flaws starting from where the crown meets the veil towards the Queen's eyebrow. Maybe this is only dirt or toning  as it is sometimes hard to tell from photos. Overall IMO the 1897 coin is the better of the two examples. A very attractive toned coin.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:20 PM, Paddy said:

This Halfpenny another pick up from the market on Wednesday - 1876H.

Clearly reverse is M. Obverse I think must be 13, but I am less sure - the gaps from the leaves and head to the lettering seems to fit 13, but the reduced flattening at the base of the bust and the form of the berries in the wreath looks more like 14. Anyone got a clear answer?

1876H HD 13+M 2 Red.JPG

1876H HD 13+M 1 Red.JPG

Obverse 13 for me Paddy, going by the pointing of the leaves to the bottom colon dot.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:54 AM, ozjohn said:

Om the 1893 coin there seems to be  3 small metal flaws starting from where the crown meets the veil towards the Queen's eyebrow. Maybe this is only dirt or toning  as it is sometimes hard to tell from photos. Overall IMO the 1897 coin is the better of the two examples. A very attractive toned coin.

They were upgrades on what I had so I am pleased :). My other 1897 has been graded as LCGS85 but the one above is better.