British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Agreed.  Lovely.

I bought a similar 1913 from my Geography teacher in the mid 1970's.

I never really got into half crowns, and let it go.  I still miss it.  Great eye-appeal.

26 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Agreed.  Lovely.

I bought a similar 1913 from my Geography teacher in the mid 1970's.

I never really got into half crowns, and let it go.  I still miss it.  Great eye-appeal.

That's a shame. A top grade 1913 is hard to come by. 

• Like 1

On 21 September 2019 at 7:10 PM, Sword said:

That's a shame. A top grade 1913 is hard to come by. 

Agreed. 1912, 1917, and 1919 aren’t so easy either, then 1911. All other 1911-1920 dates are comparatively much easier.

16 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Agreed. 1912, 1917, and 1919 aren’t so easy either, then 1911. All other 1911-1920 dates are comparatively much easier.

I would agree, I'm one of very many no doubt trying to find an example of each of these half crowns in high grade with a good strike

I think I have a decent 1919 or two (pictured below, which do people rate highest?), but still need upgrades to 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914 and 1917

1919_hc_10_ref_01487_cgs_78_uin_30918_01_1600.jpg

1919_hc_08_ref_01470_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3

Nice examples! The top coin has clearly the better obverse strike.

But I think the bottom coin has the better reverse strike. 

If I have to choose, I would say the top example as a strong obverse strike is more important for the series I think.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, JLS said:

Yes, I was sent the invoice at 5 pm. You might want to follow up with them by e-mail or phone on that lot !

On 9/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, mrbadexample said:

Is it on your invoice Mike? I recall him saying that but I couldn’t say which lot it was.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:19 PM, mrbadexample said:

Fingers crossed for you then Mike - I did think at the time that the sale of the open 3s could mitigate the cost of the F169. 🙂

Didn't win it. Called DNW and they confirmed it was a no win. 

Not the first time this has happened with DNW - where I've seemingly got the high bid, hammer's come down. But then zilch. So not sure what I'm doing wrong. Nothing I don't think as I've won with exactly the same moves on other occasions. 

Mystery. MIght just try and e mail bid next time, and then keep an eye on what happens live.   

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

I would agree, I'm one of very many no doubt trying to find an example of each of these half crowns in high grade with a good strike

I think I have a decent 1919 or two (pictured below, which do people rate highest?), but still need upgrades to 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914 and 1917

1919_hc_10_ref_01487_cgs_78_uin_30918_01_1600.jpg

1919_hc_08_ref_01470_01_2400.jpg

2nd one for eye appeal, but the first definitely has a sharper strike, especially to the obverse. 

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Didn't win it. Called DNW and they confirmed it was a no win. 

Not the first time this has happened with DNW - where I've seemingly got the high bid, hammer's come down. But then zilch. So not sure what I'm doing wrong. Nothing I don't think as I've won with exactly the same moves on other occasions. 

Mystery. MIght just try and e mail bid next time, and then keep an eye on what happens live.   

That’s odd, and a bit disappointing I’d say. 🙁

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

That’s odd, and a bit disappointing I’d say. 🙁

It is odd, Jon, and I don't quite understand what's going on, as I could have sworn I was the highest bidder.  

If there is more than one bidder with the same amount (room and internet), then surely the auctioneer would say. 

If there are two internet bidders bidding almost simultaneously, would the auctioneer draw attention to that, or just go with the first bid?  

I might video the screen next time and study it afterwards if I fail to win. 

Interestngly, I submitted 3 commission bids to Lockdale's last auction, and received an invoice showing that I'd won 2 lots. I paid immediately and then received an email saying that someone else had won one of those lots with a bid that was well below my highest commission bid and I was due a refund. After kicking up a stink and showing them all the evidence that I had won both, I have now had confirmation that I will receive both. Are there errors in the systems that they use ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It is odd, Jon, and I don't quite understand what's going on, as I could have sworn I was the highest bidder.  

If there is more than one bidder with the same amount (room and internet), then surely the auctioneer would say. 

If there are two internet bidders bidding almost simultaneously, would the auctioneer draw attention to that, or just go with the first bid?  

I might video the screen next time and study it afterwards if I fail to win. 

I experienced a similar problem with DNW. I bid, I won, I conquered, or so I thought. It was even mentioned on my invoice which I paid. Later I received a call that there was a bidding error and it had been sold to another bidder. After a couple of emails they did find me a very worthy replacement for the same price. I was very pleased with their willingness to correct their error and satisfy me as a disgruntled customer. 

• Like 1

I've had similar experience previously with a St. James's Sale, it showed as I was the winner online however the bid was accepted in the room 

Great toning Non, as we have come to expect from your coins! :)

• Thanks 1

My latest, a Group I Type 1a1 Half-crown Ex Dr Burstal Collection

1625_nd_charles_i_hc_tower_mint_s_2763_01_ref_01894_02_2400.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Paulus said:

Phil sold this one quickly I only sold it to him last week

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

Any clues to the date it was ex Burstal? Tickets? Evidence? It wasn't in the 1968 sale.

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

Any clues to the date it was ex Burstal? Tickets? Evidence? It wasn't in the 1968 sale.

It came with the following tickets

Charles_I_HC_Tower_Mint_S_2763_01_Ref_01894_Prov_01_Sellers_Phillip_Hutchins.jpg

Also, a friend has sent me this snippet for the Burstal provenance (lot 262), I have asked if he know what date it was

Charles_I_HC_Tower_Mint_S_2763_01_Ref_01894_Prov_04_Burstal_Snippet.jpg

Edited by Paulus

That's what I was questioning. Your coin has a rose on housing and a groundline which is Hks 1a1, whereas 261 states without these and 262 is supposedly the same obverse die (Hks 1a2). Also the reverse isn't double struck. Burstal 260 was a 1a1, but it was aEF and sold for £195 (illustrated). FYI the date was 15/5/1968. There was a 1a1 in the Bulletin in Oct. 1969, no 6053, gFine, scarce, £40 - which would match this coin. No mention of Burstal. I would postulate that the Burstal attribution was added by the purchaser in 1969, but without any corroborative evidence and that provenance has been taken without question ever since.

Dr E Burstal's milled was sold through the SCMB in August 1957.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

That's what I was questioning. Your coin has a rose on housing and a groundline which is Hks 1a1, whereas 261 states without these and 262 is supposedly the same obverse die (Hks 1a2). Also the reverse isn't double struck. Burstal 260 was a 1a1, but it was aEF and sold for £195 (illustrated). FYI the date was 15/5/1968. There was a 1a1 in the Bulletin in Oct. 1969, no 6053, gFine, scarce, £40 - which would match this coin. No mention of Burstal. I would postulate that the Burstal attribution was added by the purchaser in 1969, but without any corroborative evidence and that provenance has been taken without question ever since.

Dr E Burstal's milled was sold through the SCMB in August 1957.

Thanks Rob - you may well be right!

At the same auction as the 1926 ME penny I picked up two decent half crowns - here is the first - 1927:

1927 HC 1 Red.JPG

1927 HC 2 Red.JPG

• Like 2

... and here is the other - 1823 2nd type:

1823 HC 1 Red.JPG

1823 HC 2 Red.JPG

• Like 5

A recent buy not from birmingham just had to have it , A/Unc after 180 years and a slightly scarcer date

IMG_20191006_0001.jpg

My latest ,1654-Commonwealth shilling.

Ex. Alan Morris collection.

IMG_E2137.JPG

IMG_E2135.JPG

• Like 2