British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

9 hours ago, Rob said:

Polishing silver with cleaner leaves a deposit on the surface which from my experience results in fairly rapid retoning. Untouched silver takes much longer.

I think you are right as the cleaner removes everything on the surface exposing fresh metal to the atmosphere. I think the point is Ag tarnishes and over the period of a hundred years I would not expect a coin to be bright unless some form of cleaning had taken place.Hopefully this has been performed in such a way as to not damage the underlying coin. Sometimes you see a coin with scratching all running in the same direction that indicates bad cleaning. Perhaps we are taking this thread off topic and continue elsewhere on these forums.

Edited by ozjohn

Scotland, William II bawbee 1696, pellet stops on obverse, annulet stops on reverse (Spink 5692). First problem free one of these I've seen offered for sale, ignoring the massive flan flaw !

1625294009_1696bawbee2.JPG.b6ddde51244bd0f8ac9c9b4989707ae9.JPG747720417_1696bawbee.JPG.fb8fced8fc4d048b8c4dcf6b4e37286c.JPG

• Like 2

Hello,

Here's an interesting oddment which I spotted this morning. Has anyone seen one before?

There is an overstrike error I/(?) in BRITANNIARUM and it is not mentioned in ESC or Davies.

May have been given a light clean at some time, not sure, and also not mentioned by the seller. I'll be able to judge better when in hand. 

(Sold as AU but it looks a higher grade to me).

Thanks.

pd.png.4b09462847d3be62a3f34125421b5262.png

2050412940_1819GeorgeIIIerrordetailI1().png.bdf59b39d1c027d0eaa93797d59936b0.png

• Like 2

I over I to me, probably a broken I underneath

• Like 1

Received this 1891 florin today. A coin I have been waiting a long time to find. The toning is a bit uneven but I do not think it warrants any cleaning at this stage. Overall a very nice rare coin that I obtained at a very reasonable price.

Clipboard.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, azda said:

I over I to me, probably a broken I underneath

Yes Asda, i think you are correct. I can see traces of unbracketed serifs which replicate the form of the overstruck ‘I’.

thanks

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, Diaconis said:

Yes Asda, i think you are correct. I can see traces of unbracketed serifs which replicate the form of the overstruck ‘I’.

thanks

I also would suggest it is I over broken I too. Overstruck letters do make coins much more interesting regardless. I assume one need to be (nearly) certain as to the letter underneath before it has a chance of being recorded in books such as ESC and Davies?

My 1818 example has something sticking out of the N on Honi. Not really significant but I do wonder what caused it. 

162067580_1A-Copy.thumb.jpg.6303cde1fac7ce52ce1a6d60ff385fd3.jpg

• Like 1

Bought at Heritage, MS65RD, to complete my George V type set.

ffewzo.jpg

wBxiw1.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

Bought at Heritage, MS65RD, to complete my George V type set.

ffewzo.jpg

wBxiw1.jpg

Nice. I guess your strategy wasn't to choose one particular year for your type set? 1934 would pose a difficulty with the crown! (I don't have a 'type only' strategy for GV but I do happen to have a complete 1928 set built over time, in BU - everything except crown, AUnc.)

15 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Nice. I guess your strategy wasn't to choose one particular year for your type set? 1934 would pose a difficulty with the crown! (I don't have a 'type only' strategy for GV but I do happen to have a complete 1928 set built over time, in BU - everything except crown, AUnc.)

I decided for both Edward VII and George V to build a type set with an example of each denomination. However, they are not date dependent. Edward VII is complete and, now, so is George V. This does not preclude me buying better examples to upgrade, however.

For George V I have a complete date run of sixpences but I'm trying to improve the quality of that.

I'm also working on a George V date run of pennies, shillings and half crowns but only when the right opportunity shows up. I only really want higher grade coins and at the right price, of course. 😀

My focus will continue to be sixpences but the gaps are fewer now and harder to fill. So I'm branching out into some other areas.

• Like 2

My latest sixpence Edward VII 1902 Matt Proof your thoughts please?

475912781_1902VictoriaSixpenceMATTPROOFRev400.jpg.436edb2e5da12a4e655d5003e7e5569d.jpg410639157_1902VictoriaSixpenceMATTPROOFObv400.jpg.3f1c735b0d128bce6b306a3093887e41.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/6/2019 at 3:42 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

My latest sixpence Edward VII 1902 Matt Proof your thoughts please?

475912781_1902VictoriaSixpenceMATTPROOFRev400.jpg.436edb2e5da12a4e655d5003e7e5569d.jpg410639157_1902VictoriaSixpenceMATTPROOFObv400.jpg.3f1c735b0d128bce6b306a3093887e41.jpg

Lovely toning, with the blue highlights ! Imagine it looks even better in hand. 

• Like 1

Won yesterday at DNW: something to fill the hole for Queen Anne in my halfpenny collection ! Pattern by Croker, Peck 731. 

It looked nicer in the hand on viewing, especially with respect to the cabinet friction/wear on the hair.

No provenance so will be doing some research. 

765676046_Annehalfpenny.JPG.e80436737bb89a024b14d99082bba0bc.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JLS said:

Won yesterday at DNW: something to fill the hole for Queen Anne in my halfpenny collection ! Pattern by Croker, Peck 731. 

It looked nicer in the hand on viewing, especially with respect to the cabinet friction/wear on the hair.

No provenance so will be doing some research. 

765676046_Annehalfpenny.JPG.e80436737bb89a024b14d99082bba0bc.JPG

Have dnw notified you yet? I only ask because I think I won an item, but then the auctioneer said "Internet, thank you....no sorry, Wood".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Have dnw notified you yet? I only ask because I think I won an item, but then the auctioneer said "Internet, thank you....no sorry, Wood".

Yes, I was sent the invoice at 5 pm. You might want to follow up with them by e-mail or phone on that lot !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Is it on your invoice Mike? I recall him saying that but I couldn’t say which lot it was.

25 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Is it on your invoice Mike? I recall him saying that but I couldn’t say which lot it was.

It was lot 1867 Jon - the F169 and the two 1903 open 3's. 

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It was lot 1867 Jon - the F169 and the two 1903 open 3's. 

Fingers crossed for you then Mike - I did think at the time that the sale of the open 3s could mitigate the cost of the F169. 🙂

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Fingers crossed for you then Mike - I did think at the time that the sale of the open 3s could mitigate the cost of the F169. 🙂

Thanks Jon. Will just have to wait and see......at least if I haven't won, the bright side is that I will have saved on that huge buyer's premium ;) 

• Like 1

Been waiting for this to reappear since the Brady sale in 2011. W/SA groat with the Rose mark on the obverse (Allen obv. B). Not as common as the lis marked groats, with 4 known to me as opposed to double figures for the Lis coins. The BM has a nice one, but as it was illustrated in Hawkins (1841) must have been there for nearly 200 years and maybe longer. Of the three doing the rounds, two are impaired (one chipped, ex-Montagu 402 (bt. Ready and his lot 702), Clarke-Thornhill 566 and Dupree and the other has a hole, ex-Montagu 402 (bt.Ready), Walters (1913) lot 663, SCMB 1960-1 and Glens 1981), leaving this the best available by a country mile. The provenance has been pushed back a bit and is now ex- Montagu V lot 401, O'Hagan 512, Roth I lot 330, Morrieson 659, Ryan 1331, Fred Baldwin collection and Brady 378. :)

c2167 Worcester 4d mm.Rose.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Been waiting for this to reappear since the Brady sale in 2011. W/SA groat with the Rose mark on the obverse (Allen obv. B). Not as common as the lis marked groats, with 4 known to me as opposed to double figures for the Lis coins. The BM has a nice one, but as it was illustrated in Hawkins (1841) must have been there for nearly 200 years and maybe longer. Of the three doing the rounds, two are impaired (one chipped, ex-Montagu 402 (bt. Ready and his lot 702), Clarke-Thornhill 566 and Dupree and the other has a hole, ex-Montagu 402 (bt.Ready), Walters (1913) lot 663, SCMB 1960-1 and Glens 1981), leaving this the best available by a country mile. The provenance has been pushed back a bit and is now ex- Montagu V lot 401, O'Hagan 512, Roth I lot 330, Morrieson 659, Ryan 1331, Fred Baldwin collection and Brady 378. :)

c2167 Worcester 4d mm.Rose.jpg

Sounds like an excellent addition Rob. What are the parameters of your collection ambitions these days?

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Sounds like an excellent addition Rob. What are the parameters of your collection ambitions these days?

Same as it was last year and the year before.......... - diversity based on person in whose name a coin was struck including episcopal, attributed designer, initial marks, mints, metal types, various errors etc. I'm trying not to duplicate designs, but this is not possible (e.g. three mints are available in Ae2 small cross only), so just try to minimise these duplicates as much as possible. Some will never be affordable barring a lottery win, and some simply aren't available to collectors.

Edited by Rob

Perhaps not the rarest coin never the less hard to find in the higher grades. A PCGS MS 64 halfcrown

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 2

Nice John, and I suspect even nicer in hand! I like these war year silver when nice. Bang-up strikes are a bonus too...