British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

BEC687A3-D6DD-47B0-99A5-F3E7A0818D06.JPG

It did fit in the original shipping box, but that was a bit bulky.  US Mint has gone cheap with their wooden boxes that hold the better gold and platinum/palladium coins IMO since this 2009 coin.

24 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

It did fit in the original shipping box, but that was a bit bulky.  US Mint has gone cheap with their wooden boxes that hold the better gold and platinum/palladium coins IMO since this 2009 coin.

The box is similar to the RM boxes they use on the proof Gold, it’s a heck of a size for the coin.

Another type box ticked. 1887 Jubilee Head Half Sovereign, CGS 80. The pictures don't do it justice.

1887 HS.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Another type box ticked. 1887 Jubilee Head Half Sovereign, CGS 80. The pictures don't do it justice.

1887 HS.jpg

Gorgeous, Non! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coinery said:

Gorgeous, Non! 

Thanks! I have been after one for about 5 months so was happy to pick this up. Still plenty of gaps to fill though!

Another newbie.... not the highest grade but has eye appeal and my first Charles 1st coin, Half Groat

c1st-halfgroat.jpg

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm the mint mark please? The seller had it down as Charles I, 1625-49, Halfgroat, Class 3a2-3 with inner circles on both sides, S.2832, 16 mm in diameter, 0.9 gram. Thanks

Newbie (farthing) - last two Is in IIII struck over II

1825_fa_02_ref_01836_lcgs_82_uin_40672_02_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 8

This covers a few things for me 

• Penny denomination 
  • Anglesey
  • Hancock as diesinker, though he is associated with 29 designs in the commercial token coinage I figured it would be useful to have at least one of each of the Hancock and Wilson druid obverses
  • Parys Mine Company as manufacturer

Fat piece of copper.

c-_token-anglesey-dh9.thumb.jpg.097089219ccef377330a7f20232b90e9.jpg

• Like 8

As these go? That sir, is a corker. I'd gladly pop across the water to Liverpool and exchange it for a regal penny on demand.

• Like 2

A nice coin from Rob at the weekend. 

So:

(a) it's got good provenance in Nicholson and

(b) after that, it lived in a considered halfpenny collection as the example for the type 

Context. They are the sorts of things that scream out pull the trigger, even when there are other nice / needed things available - aside from rarity I think this qualifies as about the best metric for prioritising purchases. 

c-brit-1729-halfpenny-younghead.jpg.3c273d863a77dd678c6f9427fb4e3724.jpg

Edited by damian1986
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, damian1986 said:

This covers a few things for me 

• Penny denomination 
  • Anglesey
  • Hancock as diesinker, though he is associated with 29 designs in the commercial token coinage I figured it would be useful to have at least one of each of the Hancock and Wilson druid obverses
  • Parys Mine Company as manufacturer

Fat piece of copper.

c-_token-anglesey-dh9.thumb.jpg.097089219ccef377330a7f20232b90e9.jpg

A common token but a damn fine example.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

A common token but a damn fine example.

Thanks Peckris (now #2 - been a while for me here...)

I didn't think it was a common token to be honest. It was sold as "rare", so I tried to gauge that. 

There were two examples in the David Griffiths collection (DNW 2014) described rare; the first full-weight 18th century trade token and a couple in Baldwin's basement sales (61 part 1 and another I've lost the reference to) described as rare (one bundled with DH252c, which was described very rare, if that's a useful point of reference). Rated R (single-R) in Dalton & Hamer. 

Course me finding a few quite easily says they're not all that rare but I haven't been able to find lower grade pieces to gauge 'rare in this grade' or 'rare full stop'. 

Certainly listed as ‘R’ in D&H, rather than ‘C’ or ‘RR’ or ‘RRR’,  but of course there are so many varieties of Anglesey halfpennies that they do seem common generically. Yours is a very nice example.

Jerry

11 minutes ago, jelida said:

Certainly listed as ‘R’ in D&H, rather than ‘C’ or ‘RR’ or ‘RRR’,  but of course there are so many varieties of Anglesey halfpennies that they do seem common generically. Yours is a very nice example.

Jerry

Yes, I was talking of Anglesey ha'pennies generically, not specific varieties.

Damian's coin is an Anglesey penny, not half penny.

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Damian's coin is an Anglesey penny, not half penny.

Oops, that’s my error. But the D&H reference provided does of course refer to the penny, and the rarity estimates quoted are correct. 

Jerry

Newbie. Finally nabbed me one of these elephant jobbies (a crown). Wasn't particularly after the RE.X variety but beggars can't be choosers!

1666_cr_elephant_re.x_01_ref_01839_01_2400.jpg

• Like 5

Here's the Wilson obverse to accompany the Hancock example previously posted. The edge being plain I don't think this specific type ever saw circulation. But that's ok 😊

c-_token-anglesey-dh405.thumb.jpg.1488fa95de2ff1eebdd016831e9aaa84.jpg

Edited by damian1986
  • Like 3

I have already registered my approval. :)

• Like 1