British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Arrived today from the US NGC MS64 1914 florin an upgrade to the one I had. Probably more bag marks than I would like and one always hope for a better strike. In the scheme of things not a bad coin with the lions in the top shield better than most examples you see.

Florin 1914.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Arrived today from the US NGC MS64 1914 florin an upgrade to the one I had. Probably more bag marks than I would like and one always hope for a better strike. In the scheme of things not a bad coin with the lions in the top shield better than most examples you see.

Florin 1914.jpg

Bag marks versus lustre! Always a massive trade off at this level, because the subtleties of these marks wouldn’t be noticed on a lesser coin, a coin without big lustre. 

• Like 1

Yes, an interesting contrast, that. Don't forget to add in the mentioned strike. This on the florins, but even moreso the half crowns. The exceptional ones blend all three. and these are, when found, to me are to be kept. I have some nice pieces from this era, but few that are exceptional.

In any case, a nice coin there!

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Bag marks versus lustre! Always a massive trade off at this level, because the subtleties of these marks wouldn’t be noticed on a lesser coin, a coin without big lustre. 

The coin was scanned on a flat bed scanner which  are not renowned for showing  a coin's lustre. Not too bad in the hand though.

8 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

The coin was scanned on a flat bed scanner which  are not renowned for showing  a coin's lustre. Not too bad in the hand though.

Mine was a compliment, that when a coin has this much lustre it can look ‘bag-marked’ because the surface shows even the most minimal of contacts, whereas a non-lustre coin can often look ‘immaculate’ simply because the lustre isn’t there to highlight the contacts...if you know what I mean? :) 

No, No. No offence. I agree with you. Scanning coins seems to produce that flat effect but not so bad at showing a coin's condition.

• Like 1

Mine (sorry about small scan size):

1720160064_1914florinobv.jpg.399c3654ac05d864396f7933b99fafb1.jpg1654611444_1914florinrev.jpg.0b773cffa856594ac3f93ebb7856f8b5.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Mine (sorry about small scan size):

1720160064_1914florinobv.jpg.399c3654ac05d864396f7933b99fafb1.jpg1654611444_1914florinrev.jpg.0b773cffa856594ac3f93ebb7856f8b5.jpg

Great coin, amazing that these coins are over 100 years old now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

No, No. No offence. I agree with you. Scanning coins seems to produce that flat effect but not so bad at showing a coin's condition.

Capturing the lustre on a coin seems to be a very difficult thing to do. I think it is all to do with the lighting and is something I have never mastered.

3 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Capturing the lustre on a coin seems to be a very difficult thing to do. I think it is all to do with the lighting and is something I have never mastered.

I think photos can capture lustre better than scans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Silver lustre is especially hard to capture in an image, unlike copper/bronze. I always struggled to get the blues right in the editing, making the coin look very cold. It’s definitely an art. :) 

found a 1917 with the detector 

10644290_10153334883586020_6508971963851432856_o.jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 5

As it happens I had just finished scanning a 1917 florin I brought on Ebay some time ago and stuck it in a draw.  Nothing like finding something in the ground though. Interesting to speculate how long your find had been there. It looks like it had a fair amount of circulation.

1917 Florin.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 1

IMO very little wear on that OZ, softer strike though.

Craigy, that is an amazing ground find and much better than almost any I have seen!!

My comment wasn' t directed towards the value of the coin more as to how long it had been buried. As to wear, I looked at it on my wife's IPad where you can magnify the image.  With in the limitations of the image there is weakness on the upper shield lions consistent with strike. The Scottish lion shows wear as do the crowns on the shield edge  the jewels  are flatened  which are normally reasonably well struck on florins indicating that  the coin has seen  some circulation and was lost after 1917.  Perhaps Craigy could provide a scan of the obverse  as you can only judge on what you see or think you see.. None of this detracts from the find and I would be very happy if I had made such a discovery.

@ozjohn I feel pretty confident VickyS was  actually talking about YOUR coin, not craigy’s find :)

• Haha 1

You may be right. It's just that I found the metal detecting find interesting and just happened to been scanning a coin of the same date which I purchased some time ago on Ebay because it was cheap. I apologize to VickySilver for any misunderstanding and if I have caused any offence. A lesson still to be learnt hold your fire before sending posts.

Edited by ozjohn

Not at all, like your coin as Coinery had it right. I think it is hard to find both sides struck up to where they "should" be - however, pleasant coins with great lustre are pleasing as well. 

Again, nice coin and sorry for misunderstandings from my end as well.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:26 AM, Garrett said:

Well done chaps !  Nice coins thanks for posting, glad we're all happy except the poor bastard who lost 2 bob all those years ago  :) 

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2019 at 8:10 AM, Garrett said:

That's very impressive.  The nose I mean.   :)  

Thank god there were no sprogs lol

Finally arrived and in half decent state

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 10.00.46.png

It's the first time I've seen the design and I must say I rather like it. It appears to have depth, does it look that way in hand or is it an illusion of the picture? 

12 minutes ago, will1976 said:

It's the first time I've seen the design and I must say I rather like it. It appears to have depth, does it look that way in hand or is it an illusion of the picture? 

It must be an illusion I think, but I agree, a really clever design. But not yet a circulation coin, is it ?

Jerry

It looks exactly as the picture, but it was the design that caught my eye, it’s supposed to represent a black hole and above is Stephen Hawking theory of the black hole. Only a 400 mintage for the gold and 15.5g, this won’t be a circulation design, they already had problems with some of the lines breaking up during minting, can you image how after 1 million coins that the design would look if they did a circulation coin 🙈

Edited by azda
  • Like 1