British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Been after a half decent one of these for sometime.

1812 BoE 18d Token.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Another 1914 halfcrown, I have around 5 or 6 of these now.

1914-hc-6.jpg

Are you going for the full mintage? 😁

• Haha 1

I went full modern retard and bought this, love the design, so don't kill me

Trade Dollar.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Another 1914 halfcrown, I have around 5 or 6 of these now.

1914-hc-6.jpg

why so many ??  I have a few of these, 

2 minutes ago, craigy said:

Because they are strangely addictive!

Because it is almost impossible to get hold of a perfect currency specimen. 

You find a BU example but there is a weak patch on the reverse where the crown meets the shield. And when you find a fully struck reverse, then the upper ear and mustache are flat and /or some hair details are missing. 

Then you find one well struck on both sides (which is difficult enough) but the coin has lost some lustre which suggests a trace of wear. 

It is easy to upgrade on one specific area of the coin but just very difficult to have the complete package. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azda said:

I went full modern retard and bought this, love the design, so don't kill me

Trade Dollar.jpg

It does have visual appeal and you do appear to have a knack of finding some winners (from a profit viewpoint) among the moderns 🙂 

But the "design" is simply a compilation of elements from the British Trade Dollar and the Imperial Chinese Dollar together with a standard QE II portrait. (But there is nothing wrong with that unless you are submitting it for a GCSE Art exam!)

1144800992_1-Copy.jpg.bb6a8c2c7537c7d3ef70ddd08b0037ca.jpg508082113_2-Copy.jpg.491912c6afdf5878806f1c9ea4815d12.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, craigy said:

Sword summed it up well.

49 minutes ago, Sword said:

It does have visual appeal and you do appear to have a knack of finding some winners (from a profit viewpoint) among the moderns 🙂 

But the "design" is simply a compilation of elements from the British Trade Dollar and the Imperial Chinese Dollar together with a standard QE II portrait. (But there is nothing wrong with that unless you are submitting it for a GCSE Art exam!)

1144800992_1-Copy.jpg.bb6a8c2c7537c7d3ef70ddd08b0037ca.jpg508082113_2-Copy.jpg.491912c6afdf5878806f1c9ea4815d12.jpg

The design is supposed to replicate both of the above, that's why its called a restrike........Here's the blurb, also 288 mintage. I'll add a Youtube video in a mo of someone who has this in hand, and when i say in hand, he literally handles it, i was cringing watching this, each to their own i guess. I think they've replicated the dragon pretty well. The link to the coin https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/products/2019-chinese-trade-dollar-1oz-gold-proof-coin/

THIRD ISSUE IN THE TRADE DOLLAR COIN SERIES

LIMITED TO JUST 288 COINS WORLDWIDE

• STRUCK IN HIGH RELIEF TO EXCEPTIONAL PROOF QUALITY

• PRESENTED IN LUXURY WOODEN BOX WITH PERSPEX DISPLAY TRAY, COLOURFUL AND INFORMATIVE BOOKLET

• INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY

The East India Company is pleased to announce the release of the third coin in this uniquely popular Trade Dollar Collection. Struck in ultra-high relief, the reverse side of the gold one ounce proof quality pieces, features an exceptionally detailed depiction of the classic Chinese dragon in the centre, surrounded by the text: “THE EAST INDIA COMPANY”, the denomination and a traditional oriental patterned border which appears on each Trade Dollar in the collection.
Engraved with a uniquely patterned obverse which includes an elegant effigy of HM Queen Elizabeth II created by British sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, the 2019-dated Chinese Trade Dollar 1oz gold proof coins have a limited mintage of just 288 presentation pieces and are the first coins in the collection struck with this year date. A lasting tribute to a currency born out of commerce and trade, The East India Company’s 2019 Chinese Trade Dollar is part of a five-coin series and is certain to stand out as one of the collection’s most admired pieces.

Edited by azda

Its just a shame that his coin had a couple of edge knocks which i spotted from his video, there was another on the other side at around 2mins 53 secs in

Screenshot 2019-03-24 at 20.23.40.png

Edited by azda

And he has managed to trap something inside the capsule after taking the coin out and replacing it. That object wasn't present earlier on in the clip. Then again, it could be outside the capsule

484745296_Untitled-Copy.thumb.jpg.a5ab55ccf4c99ba36d935e40cefa5f1a.jpg

Edited by Sword

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

And he has managed to trap something inside the capsule after taking the coin out and replacing it. That object wasn't present earlier on in the clip. Then again, it could be outside the capsule

484745296_Untitled-Copy.thumb.jpg.a5ab55ccf4c99ba36d935e40cefa5f1a.jpg

Also behind Queens head, possibly a large hair, at that price it certainly wasn't well handled

The pig has landed. Charles I W/SA I-40 halfcrown with boar's head mark on the reverse. A nice deep tone with underlying blue and gold highlights hides the graffiti in hand. Quite chuffed :)

The Allen obverse die I appears quite early in the chronology being paired with a number of reverse dies that are also variously paired with the early SA below die G, the 'Cannonball' die H and the two lions marked obverse A. This would indicate that the boar's head mark seen on this halfcrown, the BH reverse sixpences and the bird marked shilling obverse B are also early in the sequence.

DSC_0001-9.jpg

DSC_0002-8.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rob said:

The pig has landed. Charles I W/SA I-40 halfcrown with boar's head mark on the reverse. A nice deep tone with underlying blue and gold highlights hides the graffiti in hand. Quite chuffed :)

The Allen obverse die I appears quite early in the chronology being paired with a number of reverse dies that are also variously paired with the early SA below die G, the 'Cannonball' die H and the two lions marked obverse A. This would indicate that the boar's head mark seen on this halfcrown, the BH reverse sixpences and the bird marked shilling obverse B are also early in the sequence.

DSC_0001-9.jpg

DSC_0002-8.jpg

Great eye appeal that Rob, a long with everything else, no wonder you are chuffed!

My DNW halfcrown win also landed this morning, so here are my pics, plus I have a question on the 'ticket' that came with it.

Can anyone help identify the ticket? All I have on the provenance is that the coin is ex Brooker collection (it is in SCBI)

1644_hc_bristol_01_ref_01816_dnw_march_2019_lot_66_01_2400.jpg

1644_hc_bristol_01_ref_01816_dnw_march_2019_lot_66_ticket_01.png

28 minutes ago, Paulus said:

My DNW halfcrown win also landed this morning, so here are my pics, plus I have a question on the 'ticket' that came with it.

Can anyone help identify the ticket? All I have on the provenance is that the coin is ex Brooker collection (it is in SCBI)

That’s stonking, a gorgeous coin, I’d love that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

DSC_0001-9.jpg

DSC_0002-8.jpg

Because the reverse is struck centrally and the diamond shape of the flan is well oriented to it, it’s rather nice, especially so the tone. Is it full weight or has it been clipped?

40 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Looks like a Coindex album or flip insert, circa late 70's, from my personal experience. They came in several different colours, including that light green, and I liked having a different colour for each reign for my farthing collection. Those were the days!

Perhaps that's not the answer you were looking for!

The ticket will be Brian Dawson's as I had a similar one saying S3124 Charles I Salisbury 1644.

The Bristol is Brooker 980A from the appendix pl.CXXVIII. There is no provenance given, and you might struggle finding a picture anywhere because Bristol halfcrowns are too common to justify the expense of illustration in older catalogues. The only ones that were regularly pictured were the flat crown 1643-4 or 1645, but even then needed to be good coin. Did a Brooker ticket come with it to give any clues as to the purchase date? I'm assuming not.

1 hour ago, Coinery said:

Because the reverse is struck centrally and the diamond shape of the flan is well oriented to it, it’s rather nice, especially so the tone. Is it full weight or has it been clipped?

13.85g, but probably as struck. It's certainly within the normal weight range, so if clipped, only minimally so.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

13.85g, but probably as struck. It's certainly within the normal weight range, so if clipped, only minimally so.

Superb, this forum is the best fun I have as a window shopper. :)

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Snap. I've just realised your Bristol is the same die pair as mine - surprising given the number of die pairs (7 and counting) used for this issue. I suspect yours has a higher silver content though as mine was made from the pot dregs. ;)

c2041-Bristol 1644 B1 halfcrown.jpg

Always a dilemma. I was trying to update my 1933 florin. The first scan is a NGC MS63 1933 florin that I have just received while the second is a 1933 that I have had for a long time. I think the reverse of the TPG coin is particularly pleasing. Which coin is the best?  The TPG coin looks much better in the hand and the scratches on the obverse can hardly be seen but show up in the scan. My view is both coins are about the same grade. As it happens I got the TPG coin for a reasonable price. Any comments welcome

Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard 12.jpg

It's difficult to say because the lighting is different, presumably because one is in a slab and the other not. It would be interesting to see the bottom one with the lighting identical, e.g the shadow on the bottom coin clearly shows the light source as being below the coin whereas the top one has a smaller shadow crossing the flan at 6 o'clock.