Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Recommended Posts

On 3/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, Paulus said:

NFS. Rather chuffed with this recent auction win, William & Mary coronation medal

Image may contain: 1 person

That's very impressive.  The nose I mean.   :)  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter said:

How was Harrogate Rob? I've been a few times when my sister lived there.

Nice surrounding but awful lighting springs to mind...Nice Fausta.

Same as usual. A mad rush for 5 minutes, but then it tails off leaving you plenty of room to have a chat and look at the things on offer peacefully. It is arguably the most civilised of the various venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very common shilling of course but I brought it only because the right fleur-de-lis is well struck. 

1589986912_1936-shilling-r-Copy.jpg.34d2adf99319d3080a6199c129f9e36f.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f13rOsX.jpg

Oxukzk3.jpg

 

I realize its not the greatest example, but was priced right and slabbed to the point where most local (US) dealers should be able to offer me close to or above my purchase price if I ever decide to upgrade it. Per the slab its Peck-407, Charles II silver pattern farthing, graded PF-30 by PCGS. Dealer's pics for now as its currently in transit to me

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sword said:

A very common shilling of course but I brought it only because the right fleur-de-lis is well struck. 

1589986912_1936-shilling-r-Copy.jpg.34d2adf99319d3080a6199c129f9e36f.jpg

that's lovely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.

I used to have a good shillings collection, but that one is wonderful - the sort you can stare at for ages....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Agreed.

I used to have a good shillings collection, but that one is wonderful - the sort you can stare at for ages....

I have them all from Edward 7 to lizzi, well the cheaper ones, filled up the Whitman folders, don't have a 1905 though, only one, I remember seeing a stunning one in a coin shop in southend some years ago, was 95 quid, looks cheap now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same, plus some reasonable Vickys.

My 1905 was GVF, and unmarked. Bloody lovely. Cost about £400, and was worth it. Those Whitmans just glowed.

Shillings were my second love after pennies....

Always interesting- mintage versus finding examples in GVF+ - the 1912 shilling in GEF _really_ took some finding.

Bit like some pennies in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PM me if interested in 1905 shillings, I may know of a PCGS slabbed AU50..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

PM me if interested in 1905 shillings, I may know of a PCGS slabbed AU50..........

one can dream at the moment 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DNW win at the half crown auction today.

Halfcrown, 1644, mm. plume on obv., Br on rev., small Bristol plume behind horseman, three Bristol plumes above Declaration, date below, pellet at start of legend, 14.37g/9h (Bull 640/1c (D13-1a); Morr. B-1; SCBI Brooker 980athis coin; N 2489; S 3007)

Provenance: J.G. Brooker Collection; bt Spink.

Bull lists this Brooker specimen in error under 640/1a (but note the diagonal flaw through the centre of the 6) and gives an incorrect weight of 12.83g 

1644_hc_dnw_march_2019_lot_66.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Paulus said:

DNW win at the half crown auction today.

Halfcrown, 1644, mm. plume on obv., Br on rev., small Bristol plume behind horseman, three Bristol plumes above Declaration, date below, pellet at start of legend, 14.37g/9h (Bull 640/1c (D13-1a); Morr. B-1; SCBI Brooker 980athis coin; N 2489; S 3007)

Provenance: J.G. Brooker Collection; bt Spink.

Bull lists this Brooker specimen in error under 640/1a (but note the diagonal flaw through the centre of the 6) and gives an incorrect weight of 12.83g 

1644_hc_dnw_march_2019_lot_66.png

You’re definitely rising, m’friend, love it!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

submitted this farthing as a MS and NGC identified it as a proof, i had my suspicions but kind of passes a test that TPG will correctly identify these given the right circumstances 

LINK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Generic Lad said:

Picked this up for melt, nothing special, but the price was right

Anything's worth having if the price is right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, rpeddie said:

submitted this farthing as a MS and NGC identified it as a proof, i had my suspicions but kind of passes a test that TPG will correctly identify these given the right circumstances 

LINK

So...if you tell them what it is they will attribute it as such? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no the opposite, i thought this was a high grade MS example, suspected it was a proof but would never submit it as such. but their team looked at the strike and depth of fields and correctly identified it as a proof.

This kind of links to the George V proof crown thread, i still wonder if you submitted one of the 1928-1936 series proof coins under MS and they would correctly identify it as proof. Where the other way round seems like they accept the case willingly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was a bronzed Soho proof, was this not obvious in hand? Soho bronzing is fairly consistent, but Taylor's on the restrikes is variable enough to cause an issue when deciding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont have much experience with looking for this bronzing , maybe someone whos seen one before would be able to notice it right away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rpeddie said:

no the opposite, i thought this was a high grade MS example, suspected it was a proof but would never submit it as such. but their team looked at the strike and depth of fields and correctly identified it as a proof.

I'm with you now, thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uggh, let's not go there with Wreath crown "proofs". I believe I successfully blocked the Heritage sale of a purported proof that clearly was not; I am just too tire to fight every one.IMO, the TPGs have serious problems with ID and grading of matte proofs of GB. I really can't speak to Soho or Taylor coins the way Rob might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×