British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

If there is any demand for it, I can post my hand picked currency half crowns of George V as a whole or by date - sadly I still cannot get the photo posting down on this and so need to email anyone with them if interested. I also have some very nice "VIP" proofs....

Yes please. I will pm you my email.

1 hour ago, Nonmortuus said:

Yes please. I will pm you my email.

If anyone who has got these pictures by email would be kind enough to post them here for everyone to see? :)

Ok sent some out to Paul (nonmortuus) -    1920-1926   with specimen/proof 1924 half crown and florin.

Thanks for your patience

• Like 1

I can only drip-feed them, but here's the first of Viccy's coins that I have received pics of1924_hc.jpg?w=900

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ok sent some out to Paul (nonmortuus) -    1920-1926   with specimen/proof 1924 half crown and florin.

Thanks for your patience

I will try to upload them tomorrow guys ad I need to resize them.

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

I think I just had a man-accident :o

I will add that I absolutely couldn't stand the fact that they aren't all aligned perfectly though.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
OCD
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2018 at 9:40 PM, VickySilver said:

If there is any demand for it, I can post my hand picked currency half crowns of George V as a whole or by date - sadly I still cannot get the photo posting down on this and so need to email anyone with them if interested. I also have some very nice "VIP" proofs....

Vicky if you want me to talk you through how to add pictures to the forum gallery so you can post them yourself I am happy to.

Very nice collection. :)

(Slight pity that the card holder features both types of 1922 reverse but misses the more significant two obverses for 1920.)

Thanks, I hope that we can get some individual pictures up that I manage a better quality on.

A couple of interesting things:  

There was quite a step off in quality of coin going from 1913 to 1914, even when the latter are well struck (I think some of mine are alright).

Also, the 1920 I do have is almost of matte appearance and ?? a special strike, unfortunately not well pictured either.

Most of the pictures seem to enhance the yellow colour of the coins when in fact other than minor toning they are quite white in appearance. The 1932 and 1934 are superb and wish I could show them more truly; the 1925 and 1930 decent enough.

The proofs I will try to dig out if there is still interest.

I often wish that I'd collected halfcrowns rather than pennies - there have been some beautiful designs over the years.

• Like 1

Yes, I quite agree. 

For me, I started with Wreath Crowns and then backed down through the denominations. Then down and back through Vicky; the task is quite difficult these days as top pieces of rare dates are prohibitive (I am wondering if they have peaked out - other than proof and pattern gold!).

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

I often wish that I'd collected halfcrowns rather than pennies - there have been some beautiful designs over the years.

I'm rather glad you didn't, your penny sites are a work of inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

I wish you had aswell as there would be more Rare ones for us 😂

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Haha 2

Another for this week to add to the 3d Threepence collection. Although it seems to have a slight flaw on the Obverse. Your opinions on this, please. Is it good enough to keep or should I upgrade??

1828823701_1897VictoriaSilverThreepenceRev400.jpg.dbef98e59a4393a02778de8d7e7b4cdf.jpg588033866_1897VictoriaSilverThreepenceObv400.jpg.6b33ff8bc743e6e58bdceebdc22b06bc.jpg

• Like 1

Mick, I thought you already had lots of these :)

That ones nice but the edge flaws don't do it any favours.

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Mick, I thought you already had lots of these :)

That ones nice but the edge flaws don't do it any favours.

I do have quite a few now but not this one. I am working my way through trying to fill the gaps with decent examples with a limited budget, it's hard going😲 I am happy I have a fairly decent example for now. I think I have spread myself a little thin, what with collecting Sixpences and Farthings as well. Sometimes I find it hard where to go next. 

Very Very nice coins. I especially like the 1892 3d where do you find coins like this😍

I 100% agree with @UPINSMOKE - the 1892 is a beauty!

Thats also probably the nicest 1890 half crown I've seen in a while.

Please tell Mick where you get them from, I can then upgrade from his spares :)