British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

1 hour ago, Coin#addict said:

I actually went to £450 for it. I seen that they are £650 in fine condition on Tony Claytons page, so hopefully when I upgrade I should at least break even. In the meantime it will do as filler coin. As long as it's not fake it will do for now.

A few points to make here.

All price guides are nothing more than an indication of the ballpark price in the opinion of a particular individual, and all are likely to differ on many an occasion. There is no fixed price as such. A much better indication of price is to compile your own list from auction house results. By all means include eBay, but bear in mind the large amount of shill bidding and other nefarious activites so commonplace on that site. People distrust eBay for good reason, which is why it is not a forgiving place for the unknowledgable.

£450 is a lot of money to throw at something on a wing and a prayer, because as I said, the price guide is no indication of what you will receive when the time comes to sell. However, to spend this amount when you are unsure whether it is a £2.99 Chinese copy or the real thing beggars belief. It isn't a reflection on you in particular, but this buy now, ask later policy seems to be happening on a far more regular basis. I suspect the public's assumption that you can always send an item back you don't want contributes to a large degree here, whilst the principle of caveat emptor is in danger of being lost. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your input. Your opinions are very much appreciated. I was fairly certain the coin was genuine although a bit shiny and cleaned. It was a previous comment that planted the seed of doubt about it. For £420 I am happy with it for now, until I  can afford another better grade coin. I follow your other thread on ebays worst offerings and I have learned a lot about fakes through it, thanks to some of you guys efforts at pointing them out.

40 minutes ago, Coin#addict said:

Thanks guys for all your input. Your opinions are very much appreciated. I was fairly certain the coin was genuine although a bit shiny and cleaned. It was a previous comment that planted the seed of doubt about it. For £420 I am happy with it for now, until I  can afford another better grade coin. I follow your other thread on ebays worst offerings and I have learned a lot about fakes through it, thanks to some of you guys efforts at pointing them out.

You seem a sound person coincat and would not like you to make any costly mistakes.There is know rush to buy them and as you learn although you may noy buy as many you will be more likely to be happier when you do purchase one ,you will know its right by then 😉.

Keep smiling and be lucky.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Thanks 1

I'd echo much of what has already been said about coin prices, but I'd also add that there are bargains to be had depending on vendor knowledge, and where offered for sale. This is where your knowledge comes in - the more expert you are, the more it is possible to get the better of e bay, avoid the sharks and locate the odd diamond in the rough. Not so easy with official auction houses, but still quite possible as they also make mistakes. Moreover, you can always make a note of all the lot numbers you are interested in, and check to see whether or not they went at main auction - if not, you can call the auction house and get them for the lower estimate, the day after. I've now done this with three coins. 

Like buyers, vendors too are often unaware of true market value, and may be equally unaware that a given coin is a rare variety. So again, this is where your expertise comes into the equation. Learn as much as you can about your particular numismatic field of interest, and apply that to your purchases. It can be very gratifying to make a real killing.

Another point of importance, in my opinion at least, is to always aim for the highest possible grade, despite the higher cost. If you are a serious collector, you will neve regret that. Rather, you might well regret if you buy cheaper substandard coins, and want to upgrade them later (many of us have learnt that costly lesson in the past). An exception to this is with coins of extreme rarity, where there might not even be high grade specimens, or if there are, they are vanishingly rare. Maybe only one or two extant. Beggars can't be choosers in this situation.  

One last tip - never scan e bay looking for bargains when you are tired last thing at night. It's incredibly easy to incorrectly attribute a rare variety of coin, onto one which is in fact, common. If you think you've found a rare variety, check, double check and triple check, before you commit.

Good luck.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excellent advice, and I certainly agree with all of it. Years after purchase, one looks back on a coin without directly remembering the pain of the price paid. I can think of onece getting a coin from the ebay seller Dragonbrit - it was an 1869 penny that was quite nice in appearance (and I paid too much for it!) and then regretting it years later. I then had opportunity to get the Gerald Jackson specimen from Spink America several years ago (he had a collection of some of the very finest specimens including an 1882 no "H" penny in MS64!! which I DID NOT GET). Although this particular specimen only was graded MS64RB - red and brown - it is amongst the very nicest I have ever seen and look back on it with pride.....Stretching for a great specimen [to a point] is always good form...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Richard. One of the funny things is that the Spink pictures were laughable compared to the specimens themselves. Did you know Mr. Jackson? He was as I understand very quiet and subdued as he made his purchases.

A/Unc but lions nose show slight wear, very ,very nice

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Did you know Mr. Jackson?

No, I knew nothing before or after the sale other than that he had some spectacular coins, a couple of which I managed to get.

Just added 3 more Victoria Threepences to my collection. Thought I would show them to you. I am quite pleased with them but would like your thoughts on whether I would need to upgrade in the future. I think the 1880 may have been cleaned at some time your thoughts please.

59291889_1901VictoriaSilverThreepenceRev(3).jpg.a332b2c03763a3d651a190bd21f6cf5f.jpg2143154256_1901VictoriaSilverThreepenceObv(3).jpg.ac1227f04fee63c86e54f62b3b4c20c6.jpg

1970711666_1889VictoriaSilverThreepenceRev400.jpg.d36b3818fa354cc71275a25a4a3a8e3b.jpg1011521312_1889VictoriaSilverThreepenceObv400.jpg.370156e4281fbd518cfca2874260768f.jpg

1364414987_1880VictoriaSilverThreepenceRev400.jpg.f2cad58af79445084f83e4c619fcc398.jpg213223631_1880VictoriaSilverThreepenceObv400.jpg.e8b5dae15f6a35ec8985dc11761551d6.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

1880 is rubbed as per the lines across the obverse.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 9:21 AM, Coin#addict said:

This is the picture of the coin under natural daylight. Not as bright as under the lamp. Yes PWA (Sorry don't know your name) I actually went to £450 for it. I seen that they are £650 in fine condition on Tony Claytons page, so hopefully when I upgrade I should at least break even. In the meantime it will do as filler coin. As long as it's not fake it will do for now.

20181020_084834~2.jpg

That looks so much better in this pic :)

15 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Just added 3 more Victoria Threepences to my collection. Thought I would show them to you. I am quite pleased with them but would like your thoughts on whether I would need to upgrade in the future. I think the 1880 may have been cleaned at some time your thoughts please.

1970711666_1889VictoriaSilverThreepenceRev400.jpg.d36b3818fa354cc71275a25a4a3a8e3b.jpg1011521312_1889VictoriaSilverThreepenceObv400.jpg.370156e4281fbd518cfca2874260768f.jpg

This one is nice, hard to find a really good one, they don't seem to turn up very often.

I think you'll be crack and look for a better 1901.

The 1880 .... looks like it needs photgraphing in a thick fog :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

This one is nice, hard to find a really good one, they don't seem to turn up very often.

I think you'll be crack and look for a better 1901.

The 1880 .... looks like it needs photgraphing in a thick fog :)

The 1889 is definitely the best of the three. I paid the most for that one. The 1901 is yet again another mistake on my part 😞as I already have two of them so will have to move at least one on.

And as for the 1880 everyone is of the same opinion as me, it's not the best. Will do as a space filler until a much better one comes along. Thanks for everyone's feedback always appreciated.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

The 1889 is definitely the best of the three. I paid the most for that one. The 1901 is yet again another mistake on my part 😞as I already have two of them so will have to move at least one on.

And as for the 1880 everyone is of the same opinion as me, it's not the best. Will do as a space filler until a much better one comes along. Thanks for everyone's feedback always appreciated.

Don't worry about inexpensive mistakes, just learn from them. We all have cocked up at some point!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Don't worry about inexpensive mistakes, just learn from them. We all have cocked up at some point!

If it was always ONLY that....

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Significant upgrade to my 1923 florin 1923_fl_06_ref_01733_01_2400.jpg

Beautiful coin. 

Very good reverse strike. Nice.

A couple of sixpence upgrades in the last week:

1919_sx_02_ref_01732_01_2400.jpg

1921_sx_01_ref_01731_01_2400.jpg

• Like 4

If there is any demand for it, I can post my hand picked currency half crowns of George V as a whole or by date - sadly I still cannot get the photo posting down on this and so need to email anyone with them if interested. I also have some very nice "VIP" proofs....

25 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

If there is any demand for it, I can post my hand picked currency half crowns of George V as a whole or by date - sadly I still cannot get the photo posting down on this and so need to email anyone with them if interested. I also have some very nice "VIP" proofs....

I'd be extremely interested to see them, and can help with posting pics on here

My email is pdwhittingham60@hotmail.co.uk

id be interested in this series as its my speciality too, VIP proofs also ;) think you have my email already? 

OK, looks a go will get them tomorrow.