British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

I also got this one as a seller - not sure if I did OK or not. Fine details seem to make a huge difference to value on Ebay. What do you guys think? 1845 Crown - cinquefoil stops of course:

1845 Cr 2 Red.JPG

1845 Cr 1 Red.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I also got this one as a seller - not sure if I did OK or not. Fine details seem to make a huge difference to value on Ebay. What do you guys think? 1845 Crown - cinquefoil stops of course:

Grade wise do you mean, Paddy? I'd go for NVF/VF.

A few what look like carbon spots on the obverse, don't detract from a coin with no other issues. 

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Grade wise do you mean, Paddy? I'd go for NVF/VF.

A few what look like carbon spots on the obverse, don't detract from a coin with no other issues. 

Good - that's the conclusion I came to as well. Just been speaking to one of my regular collectors so I think it is sold now! I am glad the grade I gave him coincides with the experts.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

Good - that's the conclusion I came to as well. Just been speaking to one of my regular collectors so I think it is sold now! I am glad the grade I gave him coincides with the experts.

Not sure about the "expert" description, but thanks anyway. More of a good working knowledge guy. 

• Like 1

Picked this up the other day. Reasonable grade for an Irish issue. 

Henry III Irish Long Cross Penny
Class IIa
Ricard at Dublin Mint
c.1251 - 1254 AD

JointPics_20180910_213801.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Look to be ok. It's always good to close the lid on upgrading. :)

Thanks Rob, indeed so

I have not lost out on upgrading for the most part :)

On 9/10/2018 at 10:07 PM, Ukstu said:

Picked this up the other day. Reasonable grade for an Irish issue. 

Henry III Irish Long Cross Penny
Class IIa
Ricard at Dublin Mint
c.1251 - 1254 AD

JointPics_20180910_213801.JPG

Lovely balance on this one, Stu, can see exactly why you bought it! 👍

• Thanks 1

Nice coins guys !

Keep it up, really love seeing the pics  :)   

On 9/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, Paulus said:

Thanks Rob, indeed so

I have not lost out on upgrading for the most part :)

still a proof out there to upgrade to again though ;)

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

still a proof out there to upgrade to again though ;)

That's not an upgrade, it's a different coin. Have both. ;)

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

One I was given today off a friend after helping him with his collection. As it was a gift it will stay in my collection indefinitely. The marks on the chin are not very noticeable at all in hand and the photo really doesn't do it justice. 

Gothic-Florin-1872b.jpg

• Like 1

My eyes must be so out with these, I wouldn’t be able to buy that with any confidence at all, it seems ‘awkward’ to me? I’m sure it’s 100% fine, and a generous gift, I’m only sharing how long it’s been since I studied the finer points of milled coinage. :)

16 minutes ago, Coinery said:

My eyes must be so out with these, I wouldn’t be able to buy that with any confidence at all, it seems ‘awkward’ to me? I’m sure it’s 100% fine, and a generous gift, I’m only sharing how long it’s been since I studied the finer points of milled coinage. :)

It was a coin that had been in his fathers collection from the early 1970's. It weighs 11.28 grams is 29.8 mm diameter and 1.9 mm thick. Die numbers 98. It seems to fit nicely in all parameters. If its dodgy it was free ;)

40 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

It was a coin that had been in his fathers collection from the early 1970's. It weighs 11.28 grams is 29.8 mm diameter and 1.9 mm thick. Die numbers 98. It seems to fit nicely in all parameters. If its dodgy it was free ;)

Honestly, don’t feel anxious about it on my count, I’m totally out of touch! My post was more about saying how out of touch I am with the milled coins. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coinery said:

Honestly, don’t feel anxious about it on my count, I’m totally out of touch! My post was more about saying how out of touch I am with the milled coins. :)

Just for you Stu.  A nice hammered penny! 

EDWARD-I-PENNY-1c-LONDON.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Just for you Stu.  A nice hammered penny! 

EDWARD-I-PENNY-1c-LONDON.jpg

You’ve finally bit the bullet, then? :)

1 minute ago, Coinery said:

You’ve finally bit the bullet, then? :)

Afraid not, though I admit I was tempted a bit.  This is off Lloyd's site.  I'm still saving the pennies for a really nice Charles I shilling .. ideally one that just appears at a bargain price somewhere only I see it!  😀

Not doing very well this month in terms of the business as this is the fourth thing I've bought this month with a view to selling on, but have decided to keep. Tower halfcrown with cloak flying from shoulder, ground below, and the reverse with a large shield which completely fills the area inside the inner circle. Usually the shield is smaller. The obverse legend is unusually full, reading BRIT FRAN. I suspect this was engraved by Briot or one of his apprentices (Rawlins or Ramage) who were resident at the mint during Triangle, as this form of legend or fuller was used by them on the Briot issues and York coinage, but is otherwise not seen at the Tower after plume(?) - though unfortunately have no concrete evidence for this.

ex John Hulett, Philip Hunt and Lingford, this was missed by Colin Adams, who didn't have an example with the full legend, even though he was given first bite of the cherry when the latter's collection became available.

c2134-Tower halfcrown 3a2v large shield - Copy.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

I've seen three shillings, all Triangle mark with this legend Rob, a G1/1 and two G2/2s.  Curiously(?) the G1/1 and one of the G1/2s are from the same obverse die, but the other appears to be from another ...  Not managed to obtain a nice example yet though.  :)

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

I've seen three shillings, all Triangle mark with this legend Rob, a G1/1 and two G2/2s.  Curiously(?) the G1/1 and one of the G1/2s are from the same obverse die, but the other appears to be from another ...  Not managed to obtain a nice example yet though.  :)

Which sort of backs up what I said.

Interesting though that Brooker didn't have an example given his collecting habits. He had a BRIT FRA, but not FRAN. The legend must have been a bit congested, or was the font size smaller, or HIB contracted further?