British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Can I ask @Paulus what the edge inscription is? It lists five different types in Dalton & Hamer and I'm curious!

12 hours ago, will1976 said:

Can I ask @Paulus what the edge inscription is? It lists five different types in Dalton & Hamer and I'm curious!

I believe this to be D&H 63 with an edge inscription reading "YORK BUILT A . M . 1223 . CATHEDRAL REBUILT A.D. 1075"

Does anyone know what A.M. 1223 might mean?

• Like 1

I think A.M. means Anno Mundi or "Year of Creation". A.M. 1 = 1st year of creation.  Obviously, there is no universal agreement on which year BC is the first year of AM. Some people believe that based on the bible, the world was created in 5509BC and some believe it is 3761BC, etc..(Modern Science of course predict the universe to be  much much older at 14 billions years. )

For sake of argument if 1AM is 5509BC, then AM1223 = 4289BC

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I think A.M. means Anno Mundi or "Year of Creation". A.M. 1 = 1st year of creation.  Obviously, there is no universal agreement on which year BC is the first year of AM. Some people believe that based on the bible, the world was created in 5509BC and some believe it is 3761BC, etc..(Modern Science of course predict the universe to be  much much older at 14 billions years. )

For sake of argument if 1AM is 5509BC, then AM1223 = 4289BC

Interestingly, the whole calculation of the date of 'creation' based on biblical analysis, only dates from  the 17th Century, Archbishop Ussher, primate of Ireland, who established the date very specifically as ? October 4004 BCE.

yes it was some day in October the 18th rings a bell not sure why...I remember doing it in Geology or Hist and Philosophy of science I presume that was a monday  back then in 4004 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Haha 1

You have to try to understand these biblical , antediluvian theories.... I never really found them too offencive I suppose they are just mythic , pulling references from epic poetry and myths and story telling culture...I suppose religion has never really bothered me , unlike the irritating wasp that just stung me...(epi-pen at the ready),  I think it is the interpretation of these biblical mythologies that is so threatening and for that I suppose you must blame the church and its power rather than the stories.  All written and verbal stories have elements of truth in them I am sure......Oh and if I go into anaphylaxis....this will suddenly appear on the screen :

ohsandg;ouVHWE'Ojgjdkhgjgkllkll..............................................................................................................^V^.....v^ ..............

dont worry that was just a rehearsal 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My latest coin purchased from Sterling & Currency, Fremantle, WA. An improvement on the one I had.

It is graded by PCGS as MS 63 while the previous one was graded by me as GVF/EF.

1896 Florin A.jpg

Florin 1896 B.jpg

• Like 6

Generally you won't go wrong at the PCGS63 level - a few exceptions and the usual caveat of always having a look or two at the coin.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:30 PM, DrLarry said:

yes it was some day in October the 18th rings a bell not sure why...I remember doing it in Geology or Hist and Philosophy of science I presume that was a monday  back then in 4004 

Monday my a**e . Any cursory glance around you will tell you the world was created on a Friday afternoon. ;) 

• Haha 1

On re -reading my post above it seems  to imply that the other coin came from Sterling and Currency as well which is not correct and I apologize if any connection is made between the coin I graded at gVF/EF which certainly DID NOT come from Sterling and Currency  of Fremantle.

Edited by ozjohn

My latest advertising token bought yesterday, a departure from my usual area but bought as it's a local piece

IMGP4053 (2).JPG

IMGP4054 (2).JPG

• Like 2

And where it was advertising...…..http://www.cfow.org.uk/picture.php?/2734 this is why I love these tokens! It takes you straight back there and this was found just with a quick search

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, will1976 said:

And where it was advertising...…..http://www.cfow.org.uk/picture.php?/2734 this is why I love these tokens! It takes you straight back there and this was found just with a quick search

That's really interesting, as it looks as thought "The Civet Cat" is directly above the Jewellers. Presumably with an external stairway for access. 

58 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Walking through towns and cities, we are used to seeing modern shop fronts at eye level. It's only when you look upwards you realise just how old some of the buildings which house those shops, actually are. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Walking through towns and cities, we are used to seeing modern shop fronts at eye level. It's only when you look upwards you realise just how old some of the buildings which house those shops, actually are. 

It is, the token predates the picture by almost 50 years too so that makes the building around 200 years old. I might print the picture out and go see if I can spot any of the original features

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, Paulus said:

Does anyone know what A.M. 1223 might mean?

Nearly twenty five past midnight ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, will1976 said:

My latest advertising token bought yesterday, a departure from my usual area but bought as it's a local piece

IMGP4053 (2).JPG

IMGP4054 (2).JPG

"DERITEND NEAR BIRMINGHAM"

Now it's just off the city centre - shows how much changes over time!

• Like 1

And Kempson made many fine and sought after Calendar Medals.

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

This token cites Deritend too 1790_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_st_johns_chapel_deritend_dh_153_ref_01586_01_2400.jpg

I do love the Kempson and Skidmore pieces, the designs are stunning on some of them

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I do love the Kempson and Skidmore pieces, the designs are stunning on some of them

They are some of my favourites too.  Art work on them is lovely and historically useful too 

your discussion has made me get them out and look at them 

Edited by DrLarry

5 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

They are some of my favourites too.  Art work on them is lovely and historically useful too 

your discussion has made me get them out and look at them 

I fully agree, I'm going to branch out from my unofficial farthings and start collecting either the Pidcock tokens or choose a county to concentrate on with the K & S pieces. That's the plan anyway!

18 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I fully agree, I'm going to branch out from my unofficial farthings and start collecting either the Pidcock tokens or choose a county to concentrate on with the K & S pieces. That's the plan anyway!

An expensive plan 76 ...but I think a good one if you consider that they cross a number of collecting types, tokens, animals, (of which there are so many different sub groups of collectors) history ...Which is why they remain a good price and will I am sure retain and grow on that value 

22 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

An expensive plan 76 ...but I think a good one if you consider that they cross a number of collecting types, tokens, animals, (of which there are so many different sub groups of collectors) history ...Which is why they remain a good price and will I am sure retain and grow on that value 

Indeed it is, I can't start yet for about six months due to financial commitments so it's research time and choose the theme. I do have one Pidcock farthing so that might be the route I go down