British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Correct. Unfortunately, Larry's pictures show

• 1. a red/brown coin
  • 2. a blue/green/grey coin
  • 3. a rather lovely purple coin.

oh yes you are correct I misunderstood sorry Peckris it is a grey purple but it has a very flat colour i would say it is closer to a purple Grey than a green grey although it does still have a greenish hue .....oh dear it is hard to describe coins i could match with the several hundred colour swatches I have been mixing the last week getting to understand how oil paint work. Astonishing how many colours and hues can come from mixing 

My apologies Peckris 

• Like 1

And if you got it for around £90, a real bargain!

I think it is a nice coin, probably once in the ground hence the patina. I don’t think I would clean it aggressively either.

Jerry

7 minutes ago, jelida said:

And if you got it for around £90, a real bargain!

I think it is a nice coin, probably once in the ground hence the patina. I don’t think I would clean it aggressively either.

Jerry

3 hours ago, Peckris said:

If it looks like the third photograph I wouldn't touch it to save my life - that's a gorgeous colour. Unfortunately, the first 3 pictures have such wildly different colour it's difficult to advise. 

Yes it certainly has a look of possibly having been in the ground or smoke damage perhaps I will go with that one and tell the kids it came out of the fire . Yes I thought it was rather cheap too hence I suppose my speed of response it is sometimes a little like a Bonny Baby Competition ....no one wants to know that their baby looks as if it has had an encounter with  pigs bottom. My paternal Grandmother's favourite idom (although I sure she made it up when someone did not look to pretty she would say " looks like it's been sucking a pigs bottom (but she preferred Ar+e) "     a true fag ash Lille from the East End 

I wont touch it then too much 

Thanks 

I am not a great collector of Crowns the only really true beauty I have is a 1746 Lima GII IMG_20140520_221950_891.jpgcoin for sale pics 003.jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 3

^^^ That's very nice, Larry.

Well I haven't been actively collecting now for a year or two but have had a daily search set up on ebay for 1911. My interest is the 1911 Half Penny with the narrow date and hollow neck, I had managed to upgrade to about Fine like 10 years ago. I'm starting to think this must be the toughest variety amongst the 20th centry Half Pennies. Any way as luck happened a GEF turned up a few day ago. The lumps on Britania are very difficult to see on the coin in hand, even under magnification.

s-l1600 (Medium).jpg

s-l1601 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 4

Heritage last night ........... bought 7 coins:

1820 sixpence - MS64

1902 low sea level halfpenny - MS64

1904 sixpence - MS66

1911 sixpence - MS64

1925 sixpence - MS65

1926 sixpence - MS65

1952 sixpence - MS66 (yet another).

No photos yet as I haven't processed them.

I believe this sale was part of the collection of a gentleman "RMW" who is terminally ill. I had always admired his collection for the exceptional quality of the coins. It is always a little sad to acquire coins in this situation but, hopefully, the proceeds will help make his family's future more secure.

As he once pointed out, we don't really own the coins but are stewards for future generations.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Yes agreed Jaggy, shame a collector is ill but no need to feel too bad for acquiring a coin.

I am sure a lot/most of my coins have come from estates, and no way most of them are leaving until I go toe-up, and then all the best to the next custodian.

cheers

• Like 1

I think it can be comforting for him to know that his coins have passed on to the hands of a collector who appreciate them. 

Jaggy, that's nice and esp. the 1952. I need to PM you to see if you can post a shilling I just got....

I picked up this one today at a local auction - I think it is pretty good!

1827 F 1 Red.JPG

1827 F 2 Red.JPG

• Like 3

Very very nice, Paddy.

Might be a bit of what looks like verd, in between the F& I of FID on the reverse, but barely detracts.  

Posted on behalf of Vickysilver:

1966 E Shilling

zw8Yg0.jpg

CqguOm.jpg

Thanks, Jag. I had a whale of a time trying to get pictures, and these not so great. The obverse is actually more PL than it appears and the edges mostly very sharp - although that is hard to make out. Mysteriously, the Scottish mate to this went for 200 quid more!

Very interesting that there are a run of what I suppose are best called specimen coins that issued from the Royal Mint. They IMO are of very good quality but not quite meeting the proof standard.

That would include the "duck tailed" reeded  1 shilling, florin and half crown of 1920

1920 halfpenny in Nicholson collection counter stamped with "N" on both obv. and rev.

Possibly the 1924 set that included the 1922 Penny (Rev 1927)

1927 shilling and half crown from Pretoria holdings

1942-45 6d and shillings, 1947 6d, 1951 E shilling 

1966 E & S Shillings

1970 trial halfpenny in nickel

Maybe?? more

Not really sure the purpose, but have seen them

The first example of a contemporary milled counterfeit 1821 half crown I've seen. 1821_ccc.thumb.jpg.555e39e4ab6e6561d92e841373f7f4d2.jpg

• Like 2

No idea where you get them from Seuk, superb!

21 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Possibly the 1924 set that included the 1922 Penny (Rev 1927)

1927 shilling and half crown from Pretoria holdings

Is there a write-up or article about the Pretoria Mint had? I've seen mention of the 1924 proof set with 1922 penny here a few times but haven't been able to find any primary sources.

To the best of my knowledge none listed. I do know that they had the 1924 proof set (actually TWO, or both); they had matte sets of silver 1927. 1937, 1951, 1953. Gold strikes of 3d, 6d, ?florin, half crown. Quite a few others but no central listing.

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Is there a write-up or article about the Pretoria Mint had? I've seen mention of the 1924 proof set with 1922 penny here a few times but haven't been able to find any primary sources.

Edit: Content of post deleted

Edited by Madness
Because I don't know what I'm talking about

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

To the best of my knowledge none listed. I do know that they had the 1924 proof set (actually TWO, or both); they had matte sets of silver 1927. 1937, 1951, 1953. Gold strikes of 3d, 6d, ?florin, half crown. Quite a few others but no central listing.

I guess that's known from an auction? Do we know when/where that was?

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

Been after one of these for a while

I too am after one of these but have been concentrating on my unoffical farthings

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

Been after one of these for a while 1795_hp_yorksire_york_dh_63_ref_01682_01_2400.jpg

funny that is one of my favourites too, the art work is lovely.  I had no idea what a token was until 4 years ago and then I began collecting and the beauty of some of the designs is just wonderful.  I have to admit that I rather prefer them to real coins.  Mostly because I think the social history that goes with them gives us a wonderful insight into the later 18th C and the industrial revolution sadly for my bank balance I have now rather a thick album full of the little cherished creatures.

If we could just make this subject interesting for kids we could help them learn so much.....we should start a new topic on how to make collecting alive and kicking for kids

Interestingly, Bob Ilsley of Dolphin Coins got hold of many of these. I was even offered an unbelievable package that even with the low prices of the time was just too much for me to manage. Baldwin may have additional information, and perhaps Steve Hill may know more as well.