British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Michael Sharp's paper was on the Tower shillings. It just so happened that Group E shillings were current during the period when the Aberystwyth mint was opened by Thomas Bushell under the indenture awarded to him dated 30th July 1637. Group E shillings therefore show a large degree of variation with some experimentation clearly taking place. E4 & E5 busts are clearly experimental as was the recently discovered E6. E5 became an adopted design and was also used at Aberystwyth in consequence, the minting taking place with official approval, being prior to the Civil War.

This 6d shows the consistency of overall style employed at Aberystwyth. The designs followed those of the Tower Mint, with the addition of a plume in the field and Thomas Bushell's personal identification mark - the open book. All Aberystwyth coinage featuring a shield on the reverse has the plume over.

04738 - Copy.jpg

I have been about, just been busy, did find one of my older 1862 Halfpennies I have had for ages also is B/R though

whats the reverse of my 1861 penny?

well done , it is an interesting error I have tried to plot the effect the removal of the R inside the B has on the die ...eventually a break occurs which runs down to the bun on the back of the portrait.  

CM180328-124904018 (169x300).jpg

CM180328-130604031 (169x300).jpg

CM180328-131406039 (169x300).jpg

i have a few that show either the tail outside the B at the base or the notch where they have tried to remove it inside the lower part of the B but removed the tail.  The B over R was the first coin that made me really question the layout of the lettering.  ON yours do you notice the multiple over punching of the smaller letters?

this is the 61 and the last one seems to be where they have removed the R you can see the straight line scar internally and the tail removed which leads to a failure onwards into the R making the R over a "B" if we follow the HALP rule that is !!

DSC_1519 (213x300).jpg

DSC_1521 (210x300) (2).jpg

Acquired at Heritage last night.

Victoria Jubilee head, 1887 sixpence, withdrawn type, graded MS65:

v0sM3L.jpg

ovxWR9.jpg

• Like 4

Good job Jag, I always forget Thursday night auctions! Maybe save money by that but miss some nice bits.

40 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Good job Jag, I always forget Thursday night auctions! Maybe save money by that but miss some nice bits.

Got it for $55 plus BP so $74. Low end estimate was $100. A similar coin (same grade) went last week for $130 ($156 inc. BP).

I already have a few of the 1887 shield back sixpences but didn't feel it was worth investing $35/coin in getting them graded. This way I get a high grade coin for a very reasonable price.

Edited by jaggy

Guest declan05

Another Elizabeth I Sixpence to add to my collection. 

20180619_133528~2.jpg

20180619_133547~2.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/14/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rob said:

I did wonder where Scott had gone to. Same applies to Azda too. Not seen him around for ages.

I asked him when he wished me a happy birthday on facebook recently. He said he was taking a break from coins (for now).

Last active 16.12.17. Over 6 months ago. 

On 6/15/2018 at 2:17 AM, scott said:

I have been about, just been busy, did find one of my older 1862 Halfpennies I have had for ages also is B/R though

whats the reverse of my 1861 penny?

Reverse G.

Picked up this 1855 Farthing as an upgrade for my collection - arrived by post this morning. Obverse appears to be 2d - WW raised and the weak lower lip. Reverse I have marked as Bb - the shamrock has a tiny trace of a link, but much weaker than usual, and there is no upper serif on the B of Britannia, but some of the lower serif. I am guessing some intermediate in the deterioration of the die? Any comments welcome.

1855 F 2d+Bb 1 Red.JPG

1855 F 2d+Bb 2 Red.JPG

• Like 1

Thought I would share this recent acquisition, D&H Suffolk #35 halfpenny Conder Token.

For those who don't know, the Conder inscribed on this token is the very same James Conder, after whom Conder tokens are named.

Conder ran a drapery business in Ipswich. He was one of the first people to catalogue the 18th Century independently minted copper trade coinage that now often bears his name as a category of token coins known as Conder Tokens. He published the first catalogue that would remain the definitive source concerning these coins for almost 100 years. The catalogue was titled, An arrangement of Provincial Coins, tokens, and medalets issued in Great Britain, Ireland, and the colonies, within the last twenty years, from the farthing to the penny size and it was published in 1798.

1794_hp_suffolk_ipswich_dh_35_ref_1662_0

• Like 6

Thanks, I had often wondered at the origin of the term “Condors”.  Always learning from this forum. :)

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, Paulus said:

Try Tom Goodheart (Richard - if he is still a member), or Rob

@TomGoodheart

Apologies.  I am still around, though busy with other things so don't get on here as often as I used to.  I've also had internet problems (I think it's my age :P ) and can't always view pictures in threads.

I see Rob has been providing answers though so I'm sure any Chas I shilling related questions will be resolved if I'm not here.  :D

The lots from last week's Spink sales arrived today. St. Edmund memorial issue penny with the moneyer STEN. The reverse die is slightly small which has no doubt contributed to the off-centre strike.

c2130 St. Edmund Penny.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 3

I received this Penny by post today as an upgrade to my 1882H - I think I am right that this is F114, dies 12 & M? The reverse shield is definitely convex and the hair longer. On the obverse the letter joins in Britt seem to match 12?

1882H D 12+M 1 Red.JPG

1882H D 12+M 2 Red.JPG

• Like 4

Paddy,

Your coin also seems to have a large "H" over a small "H" in the date also!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Paddy,

Your coin also seems to have a large "H" over a small "H" in the date also!

Wow - is that a recognised variety? I didn't see it on Secret Santa's site...

Probably just dirt.

50 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Wow - is that a recognised variety? I didn't see it on Secret Santa's site...

Probably just dirt.

Very possible it is dirt, you would have to have it in hand to be sure. :-)

I have it in hand. A gentle wash with soap and water has removed a lot of the apparent underlying "H" but leaves the left hand arm. Still not sure, but I am happy with it as it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

I received this Penny by post today as an upgrade to my 1882H - I think I am right that this is F114, dies 12 & M? The reverse shield is definitely convex and the hair longer. On the obverse the letter joins in Britt seem to match 12?

1882H D 12+M 1 Red.JPG

1882H D 12+M 2 Red.JPG

It certainly looks like a 114 to me Paddy. Although I find 114 and 115 difficult to tell apart.

But I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the shield on reverse M was flat. As far as I know, reverse L was the last to have a convex shield.

Edited by 1949threepence

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It certainly looks like a 114 to me Paddy. Although I find 114 and 115 difficult to tell apart.

But I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the shield on obverse M was flat. As far as I know, reverse L was the last to have a convex shield.

I don't think reverse L is an option for 1882H? Anyway, I go by @secret santa website:

"Victoria Reverse Gouby p (Freeman Reverse M).... 

Very similar to Reverse k except that the shield is convex and “heraldically coloured”  with thin vertical and horizontal incuse lines

This reverse was used in 1881 and 1882

137 teeth in border"

But maybe I have missed something? :wacko:

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

I don't think reverse L is an option for 1882H? Anyway, I go by @secret santa website:

"Victoria Reverse Gouby p (Freeman Reverse M).... 

Very similar to Reverse k except that the shield is convex and “heraldically coloured”  with thin vertical and horizontal incuse lines

This reverse was used in 1881 and 1882

137 teeth in border"

But maybe I have missed something? :wacko:

No, I'm sure that's correct. It's a bit of a mystery to me though, as Freeman describes reverse M as "Similar to reverse J, but with the shield flat and heradically coloured"

I hope someone, maybe Richard, can clarify this. Have to say I agree that the shield does look convex in your pic. Unfortunately, I don't have a 114 to compare with yet.