British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Another Sixpence for the collection bought today off eBay sellers pictures. Will post my own when coin arrives.

1901 toned sixpence Rev.jpg1901 toned sixpence Obv.jpg

• Like 5

I missed the reminder for this, but bidding against you makes things too expensive anyway :)

1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I missed the reminder for this, but bidding against you makes things too expensive anyway :)

I do that as well and miss out so now snipe the ones I am really interested in. I either win it or go bust. Picked it up for £22 + postage. Thought that was a bargain with the toning it has. I am only going for sixpences and threepences now as want to build on the collection this year. I am glad you did not dive in either :D

• Like 2

In that case I'll divert my attention to florins and shillings, no point in fighting with your for the nicely toned ones :)

On 20/04/2018 at 6:02 PM, Sword said:

Rather unintentionally, I seem to be working towards a type set of George V coins. Just got this 1926 ME sixpence.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Not a hint of wear on that lions nose

• Like 4

Wow, surely there must be an Achilles heel on that coin somewhere? Hairlines under magnification or lightning?

The coin is almost specimen-like.

• Like 1

Newbie this week, 1745 half crown - sold as 5 over 3, would people concur? Yet to take a close-up.

ESC does not list this variety (surprisingly to me)

1745_hc_roses_5_over_3_01_ref_01648_01_2

• Like 2

Think its more a case of a slender tilted 5 the 3 style on those is like half of a 7 and then a curve with very little middle serif. It could be if that mark above the 4 serif is the front of the 3 but it would make it look very oddly shaped?

17455.JPG

Edited by zookeeperz

On 5/20/2018 at 0:11 PM, copper123 said:

Not a hint of wear on that lions nose

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, surely there must be an Achilles heel on that coin somewhere? Hairlines under magnification or lightning?

The coin is almost specimen-like.

Thanks. I really like the lion's nose and no hairlines under magnification either. It was my very first sixpence as this denomination has not appealed to me in the past. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sword said:

Thanks. I really like the lion's nose and no hairlines under magnification either. It was my very first sixpence as this denomination has not appealed to me in the past. 

And to think it is that clean under high mag has to be a candidate for W/E the grades equate to MS67  or UNC 90 ?

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Think its more a case of a slender tilted 5 the 3 style on those is like half of a 7 and then a curve with very little middle serif. It could be if that mark above the 4 serif is the front of the 3 but it would make it look very oddly shaped?

17455.JPG

Thank you, I'm often thrown by these over-dates (and not particularly bothered about them!

Seems a bit of a lottery as to which are included in the various publications ...

49 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

And to think it is that clean under high mag has to be a candidate for W/E the grades equate to MS67  or UNC 90 ?

W/E? It sure is a stonking example and grades very highly, regardless of who is grading!

My best ME sixpence would be this 1927, not as good but the pics could be better:

1927_sx_me_02_ref_01075_01_2400.jpg

• Like 4

Another newbie this week, gawjuss pale blue tones on this one :)

1825_sh_01_ref_01650_01_2400.jpg

• Like 5

And a couple of Conder tokens, both Birmingham Kempson

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_kempsons

ud_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_kempsons_g

• Like 4

Just waiting for this to arrive unlisted 1737/5 half penny :)

1737over5obverse-horz.jpg

• Like 3

1693 Irish Halfpenny

1693 halfpenny.jpg

• Like 3

If I remember rightly armstong the issuer of these halfpennies got hung drawn and quartered like guy faulks

armstrong.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

If I remember rightly armstong the issuer of these halfpennies got hung drawn and quartered like guy faulks

Guy Fawkes was just hung - he was savvy enough to leap forward and die from hanging before they could do all the other stuff. 

No coin forgers were hung drawn and quartered - that was a punishment reserved for treason. Those who forged silver and gold were 'simply' hung. Those who forged base metal coins were usually deported if the crime was serious enough.

• Like 1

Another one arrived 1938 half crown. Not as clean as it looked but they never are but it will do for now

1938-horz.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

Guy Fawkes was just hung - he was savvy enough to leap forward and die from hanging before they could do all the other stuff. 

No coin forgers were hung drawn and quartered - that was a punishment reserved for treason. Those who forged silver and gold were 'simply' hung. Those who forged base metal coins were usually deported if the crime was serious enough.

Armstrong was tried for treason not forging halfpennies - he was a very wealthy man

• Like 1

Following the Restoration, he received, in February 1661, a commission as captain-lieutenant in the Royal Horse Guards. In August 1675, Armstrong killed the son of one of the queen's ladies-in-waiting at a London theatre. Armstrong was pardoned on the grounds that his opponent had drawn first.[1]

Armstrong served with James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth in France from 1672, fighting at the Siege of Maastricht (1673) and alongside the Dutch, in 1678. He was wounded at St Denis. In 1679, he helped suppress the covenanter rising and fought at the battle of Bothwell Bridge, at the same time that the Popish Plot in England was scaring the Anglican establishment.[1]

200px-Execution_of_thomas_armstrong_1683

Engraving depicting the execution of Sir Thomas Armstrong in 1684

Monmouth's influence secured him as MP for Stafford in March 1679 to the First Exclusion Parliament. Following the Rye House Plot, in 1683, he was indicted in the Court of King's Bench for high treason. A wanted man, Armstrong fled to Cleves and then Rotterdam but was captured in Leiden and sentenced to death by Judge George Jeffreys. He was dragged by hurdle to Tower Hill, where he was hanged, drawn and quartered, on 20 June 1684. His head was affixed to Westminster Hall, three of his quarters were displayed in London, and the fourth at Stafford.[1]

• Like 1

The only true armstong halfpennies are these charles II coins however the later issue under W&M were in a similar style though strictly not armstongs issue.

Ok, I inferred from your post above that he was HD&Q for forging halfpennies. You've cleared that up now.

• Like 1

First issue halfpenny upgrade just landed 

1770_hp_01_ref_01649_01_2400.jpg

• Like 8