British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Almost better than finding a new variation is a decent upgrade like this (with my previous 'best' example below).sixpence-upgrade.jpg

• Like 4

Won at Heritage on Thursday and an upgrade to my existing examples:

77U7Aw.jpg

kSEUTu.jpg

• Like 10

Another upgrade. Won this 1910 sixpence at Heritage last night:

4yBxY9.jpg

PP952d.jpg

• Like 5

What a lovely coin. Just exceptional well done that man:D

Still trying to get more early milled and had this Sixpence as a Christmas gift. Not the highest grade but has bags of eye appeal.

1697-sixpence-3rd-bust-large-crown-large

• Like 7

That's the commonest type - 1697 large crown later harp (same as mine!). I'd quibble with your 'not the highest grade' - the obverse is virtually 'as struck' which means the reverse is the usual weakish strike. Certainly EF minimum for the coin as a whole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

That's the commonest type - 1697 large crown later harp (same as mine!). I'd quibble with your 'not the highest grade' - the obverse is virtually 'as struck' which means the reverse is the usual weakish strike. Certainly EF minimum for the coin as a whole.

Thanks @Peckris. I had it down as nEF but I welcome your grade! I am still learning about the grading on early milled, which areas are likely to wear first and knowing what is wear vs a weak strike will come as I handle more of these.

18 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Thanks @Peckris. I had it down as nEF but I welcome your grade! I am still learning about the grading on early milled, which areas are likely to wear first and knowing what is wear vs a weak strike will come as I handle more of these.

Nice looking coin and definitely an EF or better. I like the toning, especially on the Obverse. However, looks like there may be some hairline scratches on the Reverse (could be the photo too). 

23 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Nice looking coin and definitely an EF or better. I like the toning, especially on the Obverse. However, looks like there may be some hairline scratches on the Reverse (could be the photo too). 

I think it's the photo. In hand nothing jumps out.

For the medal collection - George III golden jubilee 1810 by Küchlersamlet_photo_a.jpg.

• Like 6

Newbie, attributed as 'large date' variety, but this is not listed in Spink or ESC, is it listed anywhere?

1881_sx_01_ref_01532_cgs_75_uin_41142_02

• Like 4

There is a large date 1881 listed in Davies No 1100.

I think that most of the 1881 are "large date". 

I have "small date" on my buy list as well as an upgrade to my large date example.

From what I have seen of the 'small date' variety, it is almost indistinguishable from the large.

My sales records for the two types are:

small date:  VF, £12.50, EF, £45
large date: nEF, £42

So although Davies rates them as 48/35 in favour of the large date, I'm not sure that the collector base goes deep enough to properly distinguish them....

I love Vicky 6ds and have a fair collection (I think) but this is a varietal that just does nothing for me - I dearly hope the silver Vicks do not go the way of the penny, or heaven help us BY DIE STATE like a certain collector of sovs used to collect.

• Like 1

OK, I looked and think mine might be a small date, proof like. Even though I don't generally collect silver Vick proofs, I know I have a proof '81 6d laying around somewhere and will look for it.

My newest purchase... an Edward the Confessor 'helmet type' penny (Wilton mint). Although I've had numerous frustrating experiences with Baldwins (auctions), I recently bought this from their Winter fixed price list (at a great discount too) and I have to say the service was fantastic! I'm building up a reasonably nice little collection of Wilton mint pennies now :) 

120.jpg

• Like 6

Just won this 1717 sixpence at Spink's New York sale (their photo, not mine).

s2okrp.jpg

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 9

What a gorgeous sixpence wonderful detail in that. Would like one like this myself.:D