British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

whats the story with the particularly rubbish strikes of tealby, Stephen and the likes? were they just rushed or is there a better story for this?

I'm going to need some nice tealbys for my Plantagenet vision some day, so I'll be interested myself! :)

3 hours ago, rpeddie said:

whats the story with the particularly rubbish strikes of tealby, Stephen and the likes? were they just rushed or is there a better story for this?

Nope they are just crap. There are a few issues in British coinage where you buy the coin when it becomes available. Worry about the cost or logistics later. ;)

Latest purchase and awaiting delivery. A very common date but I do like the obverse strike. I am inclined to think that it is very difficult to get a fully struck reverse with 1923. Graded as BU by seller. 

1923-half-crown-r - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

1923-half-crown-r - Copy (1) - Copy.jpg

• Like 10

That is a corker. What an example. :D:D

I bought this one yesterday to my local dealer. I couldn't resist the toning!

1893 SH.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Latest purchase and awaiting delivery. A very common date but I do like the obverse strike. I am inclined to think that it is very difficult to get a fully struck reverse with 1923. Graded as BU by seller. 

The base of the crown is very good, I think it's wonderful strike

42 minutes ago, Leo said:

I bought this one yesterday to my local dealer. I couldn't resist the toning!

1893 SH.jpg

Ooooooosh!

• Like 1

Thats a gorgeous Shilling, Leo! I'd be most happy to have that one.

(I love Vicky silver, but saying that could be taken entirely the wrong way, given the current memberlist lol ...)

• Like 1

Sword, that is a very nice 1923. They generally are not that attractive and I would be content with that one & will agree with the uncirculated status of this one!

Many thanks gents:)

Not the most valuable of the penny reign but @ £4 had to pick it up be rude not to :) 

1937pennyobv-horz.jpg

• Like 4

Will go nicely with his hypo sibling :)

1937pennyobversehypodarkened-horz.jpg

• Like 3

I know they are a commonly found coin but I do like this era. There are a lot of George the VI variety's that can keep a collector busy, double ex, single ex, forked tips, MT, proofs etc and all for a reasonable price and I think the quality of the stampings are pretty good as well. 

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Will go nicely with his hypo sibling :)

1937pennyobversehypodarkened-horz.jpg

Trying to understand what you mean by .........hypo sibling ?.

Get it now you meant thats hypo and the others not.

Only one more needed 1+B and again will get a good one for a few pound.

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Trying to understand what you mean by .........hypo sibling ?.

Get it now you meant thats hypo and the others not.

Only one more needed 1+B and again will get a good one for a few pound.

As in a brother 1937 Penny but his brother is a hypo and yes 1 to go for the three varieties but 4 if they also hypo rev b as well :) 

Edited by zookeeperz

an upgrade for the collection .pity about the carbon spots ,but the price was decent  No automatic alt text available.

• Like 4

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1

My latest acquisition, mirrored brockage........very pleased with this one :)

IMGP3697.JPG

IMGP3700.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, will1976 said:

My latest acquisition, mirrored brockage........very pleased with this one :)

IMGP3697.JPG

IMGP3700.JPG

rude to ask but what is the value of a coin like that

21 minutes ago, craigy said:

rude to ask but what is the value of a coin like that

I consider myself very lucky with this example as I paid just £40 as it was sold as a 'novelty' item. There was an example of a ER11 (pre decimal) penny I was watching on ebay a few months back which sold at £225 BIN in a very similar condition but was out of my price range at the time. If I was to sell this one I'd hope to get about a £100 for it

3 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I consider myself very lucky with this example as I paid just £40 as it was sold as a 'novelty' item. There was an example of a ER11 (pre decimal) penny I was watching on ebay a few months back which sold at £225 BIN in a very similar condition but was out of my price range at the time. If I was to sell this one I'd hope to get about a £100 for it

I think £40 is a steal. It's a really nice one. :)

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

I think £40 is a steal. It's a really nice one. :)

It had been there a while, had a layer of dust on it! I'm guessing it's 3rd or 4th of the press (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) as the edge isn't as sharp as other examples I've seen and in the hand you can just make out the reg of regina from the obverse legend starting to show through

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

It had been there a while, had a layer of dust on it! I'm guessing it's 3rd or 4th of the press (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) as the edge isn't as sharp as other examples I've seen and in the hand you can just make out the reg of regina from the obverse legend starting to show through

Was the very coin error that started me in coin collecting 1855 Penny full obverse brockage saw it at a boot sale £20 as I walked away and I love telling this story. I heard the guy mutter under his breath "Mug" and a whimsical chortle chortle . 2 hours later it was sold across the pond for £275 20 years ago. I remember glancing over my shoulder as if to reply to him . "Who's the mug now " boom :)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 2