British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

New addition to my short cross series. 

King John 

Willelm L London mint

Class 5b2

Struck 1204-1207 Ad.

JointPics_20171011_143040.JPG

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

As they are hard sometimes to tell from a picture the few i have seen have a die crack running through the V on the obverse.

Possibly another indicator to check if your not sure.

Thanks that will help . Nice to have markers. I find very little on the reference books concerning markers. Unlike USA coins

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

King John 

Willelm L London mint

Class 5b2

Struck 1204-1207 Ad.

As centrally struck as you're ever likely to find! ?

• Like 1

Very nice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

King John 

Willelm L London mint

Class 5b2

Struck 1204-1207 Ad.

Great coin, Ukstu! A lovely strike indeed. I've been searching for a good example like yours for ages - a superb find! :) 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. It is rare to find examples in this grade. I got it privately off a detectorist. It was part of his personal collection. 

Does this look ok. I didn't even think to look at it closely. But something worries me I am just not sure what it is lol.

541_001_ireland-1-2-penny-1766.jpg

Georges image looks abit off. Just googled a few others. Could it be a counterfeit? 

3 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Georges image looks abit off. Just googled a few others. Could it be a counterfeit? 

Yes I am not happy with it. the H should line up with the bust on the angel not below it. the orb top should not cross the bottom of the letters and lots of missing detail. rim teeth look cast to me? Also his mouth should be more cartoony looking

Edited by zookeeperz
added info

Picked up this (not so) little chap this week, but can't decide if it is or isn't frosty due to what would appear to be years of handling.

Must get some new eyes or cleaner glasses soon.

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

Probably best to clarify what constitutes a frosted proof.

This is illustrated elsewhere on the forum, but is easier to repost. Left is a regular currency piece, middle is a proof from the 1953 set, right is a VIP proof with the frosted bust. Frosting in general only refers to the raised detail, with the fields remaiming mirrors. There are so called matt proofs made for photgraphic purposes which have the edges, rims and crispness of strike seen on the proofs, but have all-over non-reflective surfaces to aid photography, which for proofs can be a right pain.

img600.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification Rob!

As I say its a hard one on the eyes for sure, but all the raised detail does appear to be more frosty than the fields. Unfortunately it's been in a very much handled collection for quite some time, but I really don't want to try and clean it at all until I'm sure it's only going to improve the situation.

I have newer proofs which do present the detail far better, I'm just catiously suspicious of this particular coin.

My lighting was awful too :) This I'm working on but might try a couple with raw daylight tomorrow.

That's a bit more frosting on the Obverse than the reverse. I have many times tried to discuss this. If you look on the "Pop Reports" portion of the PCGS site there are many other pictures under the Great Britain listings (not to mention some truly remarkable coins!). That Crown IMO is not a VIP but just a bit more obverse frosting than the average proof. Still nice but hope you didn't part with too many funds for it....

1 minute ago, VickySilver said:

That's a bit more frosting on the Obverse than the reverse. I have many times tried to discuss this. If you look on the "Pop Reports" portion of the PCGS site there are many other pictures under the Great Britain listings (not to mention some truly remarkable coins!). That Crown IMO is not a VIP but just a bit more obverse frosting than the average proof. Still nice but hope you didn't part with too many funds for it....

About a fiver in all, so I won't be heartbroken either way :)

Going to need some new gloves after this bunch though, I might dare touch it with some warm water to see how much gunk comes off it, as the concensus is going with a "not frosted".

Hey then, toss in a bit of mild dish detergent and then a nice rinse. Pat dry on high nap CLEAN white towel....

• Like 1

what could possibly go wrong ...  :)

I think I'll leave that until tomorrow now, If the wife discovers me with my hands in the sink, I'll have a new chore for life.

• Like 3

Didn't think of that one. I have only a slob of an 8 year old boy who doesn't even go in the kitchen! Good luck, that type of cleaning is very low key if you can sneak it in...

Cnut Short Cross of Warminster. Another mint off the list. This will free up a Dover if I can replace it with a decent Henry 1 (not type 4) or a William 2 (not type 3). Anybody?

c2118 Cnut SC Warminster.jpg

• Like 3

I'm always amazed at the quality of the flans used in these early pennies. You hardly ever seem to see them corroded and pin-wormed, either.

3 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I'm always amazed at the quality of the flans used in these early pennies. You hardly ever seem to see them corroded and pin-wormed, either.

They went downhill starting with William 2 second issue. I blame it on the French influence. ;)

1 hour ago, Rob said:

They went downhill starting with William 2 second issue. I blame it on the French influence. ;)

Henry I are awful and stephen 

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Cnut Short Cross of Warminster. Another mint off the list. This will free up a Dover if I can replace it with a decent Henry 1 (not type 4) or a William 2 (not type 3). Anybody?

c2118 Cnut SC Warminster.jpg

Great coin, Rob! I've never seen a 'Winegod of Warminster' penny before (or any other penny minted in Warminster for that matter) ... it appears Winegod didn't stay on the moneyer scene for very long, producing only 2 Cnut types before vanishing into obscurity. As a collector of Wiltshire pennies, and what with Warminster just down the road from us in Wilton and Salisbury, I'm quite envious of your recent purchase! :D ... I have my eye on two nice Wiltshire pennies coming up in the next DNW auction in December. Both are Edward the Confessor pennies... the first a 'pointed helmet type' (Ægelwine on Cricklade), and the 2nd a 'hammer cross type' (the rather elusive Clid on Bedwyn!).

Edited by Descartes
typo

Warminster is most of a day's brisk walk from Wilton. That's on the other side of the planet in Saxon terms. Anyway, that was one of the three I had to let go in Stewartby (Warminster, Buckingham and Axbridge) as the Frome took priority, but with all three being Cnuts, there was less incentive to tick the box at that moment.

As for Cricklade and Bedwyn, these are both desirable mints, so you might have some competition somewhere along the line :ph34r: Though my Pointed Helmet and Hammer Cross types are already filled, unless it is a variety of the type I don't have.

I also have a list of things in John Hulett's collection that are reasonably non-negotiable. Just saying......

• Like 1