British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

On 9 August 2017 at 5:29 PM, craigy said:

didnt know that, was it a real issue then pre 1920 or was it something they encountered during trial strikes ? 

Yes, it was a very serious issue. Look at the average penny or halfpenny reverse, or shilling and sixpence, and sometimes florins, and you will often see a faint raised outline of the portrait which is the 'ghost' they tried to eliminate. They partly succeeded 1920-1926, but not fully until the Modified Effigy.

There is 1910 among others, but there's a mark on the letter A unfortunately .

20170818_184749~2.jpg

20170818_184810~2.jpg

Is it unusual for these coins to be rainbow toned?

20170821_085102~2.jpg

20170821_085049~2.jpg

Being a copper coin its possible that isn't rainbow toning but evidence of polishing sometime in the dim and distant.

Thanks Michael. Makes them look nice though. I stumbled across a wee hoard of these farthings. Not what i collect though so have put them  on ebay!! Fingers crossed buyers can find them in amongst all that decimal rubbish. It will be interesting to see what they fetch.

Edited by declan03
mistake

Eeeeek, no, sadly they come in that colour quite often! I'm truly sorry, Dec, it's not often I feel strong enough to judge another man's pleasure so harshly, but that's not a pretty coin at all! 

There's a whole world of difference between a worn coin and a polished coin, even if the grade is the same, metal removal wise! This has been polished, and some attempt made thereafter to make it look 'attractive'!

gosh, really sorry, Declan, couldn't hold that in! ?

• Like 3

Lmao!!

• Like 1

Ha, ha. I was trying to be diplomatic earlier but I'm afraid Stu is absolutely right, the coin has been polished to buggery (to use the technical term). I'm afraid the same goes for your 'rainbow toned' 1822 farthing which, IMHO is even worse. Sorry Dec.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainbow-toned-1822-George-IIII-Farthing-Lots2-/172830633663?hash=item283d822ebf:g:p0UAAOSwOTVZmwsR

• Like 1

Come on now Michael,  be honest, its you who has bid on those two ?.

• Like 1

Nice one Dec.

I already have each in GEF or better and both are a lovely, uniform,  dark chocolate colour, so I'll give those a miss if that's ok. :)

Yes i believe you.....but if the name on the envelope begins with Michael...

?

Neither date is rare and both can be easily found in high grades.

My advice would be to add a note to each listing describing the coins as having been polished sometime in the past. If this is made clear it may save you the headache of buyers wanting to return once they see them in hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Neither date is rare and both can be easily found in high grades.

My advice would be to add a note to each listing describing the coins as having been polished sometime in the past. If this is made clear it may save you the headache of buyers wanting to return once they see them in hand.

Very good advice!

6 hours ago, scott said:

1043218.jpg

1584 sixpence... mintmark though?

Clear Scallop, c'mon, Scott! ?

The reverse is quite possibly Scallop over A, looking at one of the feet in the right hand extensions, and also the crossbar in the top left hand corner. A decent close up might confirm, or a die match definitely would! ?

Edited by Coinery
To add!

On 8/21/2017 at 7:02 PM, declan03 said:

Thanks Michael. Makes them look nice though. I stumbled across a wee hoard of these farthings. Not what i collect though so have put them  on ebay!! Fingers crossed buyers can find them in amongst all that decimal rubbish. It will be interesting to see what they fetch.

Lol, no it doesn't really, as most people would know who collect copper/bronze that it has been cleaned

• Like 1

Probobally my best coin so far received today - George III 1785 Fourth Head Guinea, extremely hard to find in this grade at the moment 

IMG_20170828_114631.jpg

IMG_20170828_114620.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coinery said:

The reverse is quite possibly Scallop over A, looking at one of the feet in the right hand extensions, and also the crossbar in the top left hand corner. A decent close up might confirm, or a die match definitely would! ?

so it is that then, did managed to locate the A

52 minutes ago, scott said:

so it is that then, did managed to locate the A

I'd feel pretty confident, even without seeing better images, that the reverse is scallop/A, and the obverse of course a straight scallop! :)

so how much is ot worth then, do these overstrikes count for anything?

Edited by scott

1 hour ago, scott said:

so how much is ot worth then, do these overstrikes count for anything?

Mostly not because dies were reworked until they fell apart. It is much cheaper to overmark than produce a die from scratch

1735 3/5 farthing . No automatic alt text available.