British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Nice!  And the reverse Descartes?

I bought this:

Spink%202799%20Sharp%20G1_2%206_zpsgpqrq

A shilling (S.2799, Sharp G1/2) from Bob Lyall's collection I missed when the sale was on.  Larger than normal flan for the mint mark (and with a smaller (?6d)) punch used for the obverse mark when the die sinker made the dies).  Sadly no provenance prior to Bob owning it and weak patches (thinner flan), but a keeper all the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Nice!  And the reverse Descartes?

I bought this:

Spink%202799%20Sharp%20G1_2%206_zpsgpqrq

A shilling (S.2799, Sharp G1/2) from Bob Lyall's collection I missed when the sale was on.  Larger than normal flan for the mint mark (and with a smaller (?6d)) punch used for the obverse mark when the die sinker made the dies).  Sadly no provenance prior to Bob owning it and weak patches (thinner flan), but a keeper all the same. 

Super shilling, TomGoodHeart! Here's the reverse for my Charles I sixpence... it's not as nice as the observe.

1642 Charles I sixpence, Group C, S2809, mm. plumes, Reverse.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think there is too much wrong with it. Cleanly struck on both sides, only the ragged edge and scratches are significant. Sixpences are much harder to find in high grade than shillings because they were well circulated unlike the shillings and higher denominations which were hoarded.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

I don't think there is too much wrong with it. Cleanly struck on both sides, only the ragged edge and scratches are significant. Sixpences are much harder to find in high grade than shillings because they were well circulated unlike the shillings and higher denominations which were hoarded.

Thanks Rob :) 

Yes, still a decent example Des.  Honest wear, but the design's all clear, decent flan and toning.  Good buy.  :D

not this week but, uploaded today, need help identifying this Tealby.

1042194.jpg

Not enough contrast in the pictures to pick out the detail. The collar is also missing which makes classifying it a bit difficult.

A decent picture and it should be possible to match an image in Allen

Been a while since i bought anything numismatic, picked this 1885S Sovereign up after it being on my watch list for nearly a year. The black is just the company logo where i bought it from

Screenshot 2017-06-06 09.01.27.png

• Like 1

Nice Rob, very nice.

4 hours ago, argentumandcoins said:

Nice Rob, very nice.

A Maundy Set here and there seems to be the default of late. When all other choices go too high I seem to be filling in a Maundy gap as these at least are reasonably consistent in price. Pickings are a bit thin of late. Having said that, I managed to pick up a cut half Stephen type 7 10 days ago. Bramber! The reverse legend reads BRAN+PIL. A bit of a dog, but didn't anticipate finding a full one any time soon.

c2099 Stephen type 7 Bramber.jpg

I can't make out anything on that..

B at 9, R at 10, bases of A & N at the top, bottom half of initial cross at 1, bases of P, I & L round to 3. The edge cuts through the horizontal part of the L.

you can work that out, but can't work out the letters on mine? I never can read them even with clear view because everything looks the same as something else half the time

No, what I said was get a picture with better contrast, then it might be possible to find a die match in Allen which would give both the moneyer and mint. Contrast is more important than anything else because identification boils down to the relative position of the detail.

Allen is an essential volume for Tealby pennies as there are 25 plates with 20 coins per plate. Obviously there are different die pairs for many dies, but it is possible more often than not to get some form of id, even if it is only the mint.

the problem is the coin is actually that bright.

1 hour ago, scott said:

the problem is the coin is actually that bright.

A little better, maybe, but not much.

Scott, try moving the pieces around in relation to the light source before photographing. This may help in picking out the relevant details more clearly.

Scott's Tealby.jpg

If the reverse has an R at the cross end and the legible bit reads FREI, then it is almost certainly London. A problem with FREI is that there are three moneyers whose names end with this - Geffrei, Godefrei and Hunfrei, and I'm having difficulty reconciling the preceding trace of letter with either an E, F or N.

According to Coins of England, these three are only found at London - which would be lucky. If right, the R shape looks to be late (D, E or F), so that would probably eliminate Hvnfrei who apparently only does A & C. Geffrei only has class E as a late type according to Allen, and I note that his 473, 474 and 475 are all from the same reverse die, which this clearly isn't as the EI is in the wrong place relative to the cross in the quarter.

That therefore should leave Godefrei as the most likely possibility, all assuming of course that it has been read correctly, but I can't positively reconcile any of the images in Allen with the residual detail. Allen lists types D to F with Godefrei as the moneyer, his refs. 485 to 491. It won't be 488 and probably isn't 491. It could possibly be the reverse of 487 but I wouldn't want to stake my life on it. The obverses for all except Allen's 488 are missing the detail where it reads hEN relative to the sceptre end, which is all we have to go on. Allen 488 is clearly wrong for both sides.

So it may be GODEFREI at London and possibly type D1, unless someone else can come up with a different reading.

Edited by Rob

see I can not distinguish.. I thought that F was H :/

Couple of upgrades from LCA Auction very pleased with them.

1887 Double Florin LCA.jpg1888 Double Florin LCA.jpg

• Like 5

Absolute beauties.Quality in a collection gives a lot of pleasure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Absolute beauties.Quality in a collection gives a lot of pleasure.

Thanks Pete I am so pleased with these no more looking for upgrades. Now to move on to the next coins to add to the collection.

4 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

no more looking for upgrades. 

I think you'd struggle to be fair. :) Are they slabbed?

14 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I think you'd struggle to be fair. :) Are they slabbed?

I think your right.:D Pleased I bid on them now. They are not slabbed although the 1888 will be as soon as I can find a decent 1888 Florin to add to the Ripper Set only, need that and perhaps an Maundy set before I send them all off to LCG.

:D Ripper set I love it.The royal family maybe apt