British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

My newest purchase. Am I right that it's "low tide" variety?

Thanks

2017.04.11 Great Britain halfpenny 1902 low tide - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

Yes.It looks like it 

My latest coin for the collection George III 1787 Sixpence the earliest coin I have. Any help with grading would be appreciated :)George III Sixpence Obv 600.jpgGeorge III Sixpence Rev 600.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paulus said:

GVF for me

Thanks Paul I was leaning towards VF but will take your opinion of GVF :)

Nice coin with the right toning.:)

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Nice coin with the right toning.:)

Thanks Peter its nice I am getting things right now. Well most of the time anyway.

Hopefully a keeper of this type :)  1885_3d_01_ref_01414_01_cgs_82_uin_30191

• Like 3

My other coin that arrived today. Toning is starting to develop on the obverse and his ear looks a bit sharper and not so flat as I have seen on other coins of the same period. 

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, IanB said:

My other coin that arrived today. Toning is starting to develop on the obverse and his ear looks a bit sharper and not so flat as I have seen on other coins of the same period. 

There seems to be a massive difference between the 1915's and the 1914's, especially on the ear. If I could find a 14 with an obverse like that I would be a happy man :)

• Like 1

My first gold! Worn and common, but the price was just right - a tenner above BV.

1910 hs.jpg

• Like 2

That's a nice looking obverse

Doesn't look all that worn to me. Nice coin.

The 1905 shilling I won at the recent Spink auction finally arrived today, and here it is:-

shilling 1905 rev.jpg

shilling 1905 obv.jpg

• Like 3

Blimey Mike, that's a good 'un. :)

11 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Blimey Mike, that's a good 'un. :)

Cheers Jon. 

Agreed - looks very nice (did you say it was graded as VF?)  Super!

One of the sought after 20C coins.Love it.Has it been accetoned?

50 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Agreed - looks very nice (did you say it was graded as VF?)  Super!

They graded it as VF. After consideration I'd probably go for GVF/NEF. The lion's nose is slightly flattened, but there are traces of lustre on both sides, and the King's hair shows reasonable detail. I always think LCA are slightly conservative in their grading.

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

One of the sought after 20C coins.Love it.Has it been accetoned?

I don't think so Peter. It looks natural in hand - my 1907, conversely, looks either acetoned or whizzed, with the typical uniform slightly matt appearance. 

• Like 1

1827 third farthing just landed  1827_third_fa_ref_01417_01_2400.jpg

• Like 5

My pic of the 1852 Gothic florin I got from Rob a few weeks ago  1852_02_ref_01405_02_2400.jpg

• Like 5

Edward IV 2nd coinage halfgroat mm. annulet. Four or probably 5 careful owners or their families (I believe) since c1700 :) 

The accompanying ticket says Sotheby 21/8/74. That sale was Hugh Howard, an Irish collector active in the first couple of decades of the 18th century. He died in 1738, but the collection wasn't sold for another 136 years. The small handwriting is that of Henry Webb d.1894, the large script looks to be someone else's. Part of Webb's collection were retained by the family and acquired by Baldwins c1938. The coin was bought by Lockett, noted as ex-Webb and formed lot 1632 in 1956. Acquired by Lord Stewartby, and lot 1941a in the last sale.

Not a common mark - all London Ed.IV second reign halfgroats are quite rare and as it says on the ticket, unpublished in Hawkins (1841). There is better, as Dupree had a decent one which went through the Circular. Walters 449 was bought by Mann, but I don't have the latter sale. The note that Clarke-Thornhill had one at £3/10/- doesn't agree with the 1937 sale catalogue, which had no Ed.IV halfgroats. If he did have one it was probably taken by the BM who were allowed to take any coin for which they did not have an example of the die, the sale being CT's remnants.

I like provenances like this :)

c2091 Edward IV 2d im. annulet.jpg

img382.jpg

• Like 4

The coin above came with a similar type, im. pierced cross and pellet and a nice old golden tone to the fields.

This will probably go as I already have the mark in the collection on a groat, but would fit into the too nice to sell box. :ph34r:

00006767.jpg

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

Edward IV 2nd coinage halfgroat mm. annulet. Four or probably 5 careful owners or their families (I believe) since c1700 :) 

The accompanying ticket says Sotheby 21/8/74. That sale was Hugh Howard, an Irish collector active in the first couple of decades of the 18th century. He died in 1738, but the collection wasn't sold for another 136 years. The small handwriting is that of Henry Webb d.1894, the large script looks to be someone else's. Part of Webb's collection were retained by the family and acquired by Baldwins c1938. The coin was bought by Lockett, noted as ex-Webb and formed lot 1632 in 1956. Acquired by Lord Stewartby, and lot 1941a in the last sale.

Not a common mark - all London Ed.IV second reign halfgroats are quite rare and as it says on the ticket, unpublished in Hawkins (1841). There is better, as Dupree had a decent one which went through the Circular. Walters 449 was bought by Mann, but I don't have the latter sale. The note that Clarke-Thornhill had one at £3/10/- doesn't agree with the 1937 sale catalogue, which had no Ed.IV halfgroats. If he did have one it was probably taken by the BM who were allowed to take any coin for which they did not have an example of the die, the sale being CT's remnants.

I like provenances like this :)

c2091 Edward IV 2d im. annulet.jpg

img382.jpg

What does the bit underneath the date mean? Looks like "not in Hawkins 23 gro, or gso"  

Hawkin's Silver Coins of England published in 1841. 23 grains is the weight.