British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Opinions are sought. 4 months late but never mind.

I bought this in Stewartby part 4 in November (lot 1450). I catalogued it as cross in circle, but looking at it from different angles I think it could possibly be annulet over lis.

Therefore, does anybody have an Edward VI 2nd reign York penny with a lis, annulet or cross in circle mark to enable a die comparison? I've never seen one before and so have no reference point. Although there are certain similarities with the plain cross initial mark seen on the heavy coinage dies, the mark on this coin is at the edge of the coin and difficult to establish whether it has been cut off to give the appearance of a lis.

I appreciate that a lot of you will be overcome with indifference, but console yourselves with the fact that at least it is a penny. Any input would be gratefully received.

c2074 Ed.IV 2nd coinage 1d Durham under Bp Booth mm.cross or lis over annulet.jpg

Clearly, not my area, however I can see why you think it could be annulet over lis Rob.  But without a lis alone coin to compare it to I find it hard to say more than that. 

Clive?  Stuart?

(Shame it's not possible to tag people like on Faecebooke)

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

Clearly, not my area, however I can see why you think it could be annulet over lis Rob.  But without a lis alone coin to compare it to I find it hard to say more than that. 

Clive?  Stuart?

(Shame it's not possible to tag people like on Faecebooke)

You can Richard, type a "@" then start typing their forum name as in @TomGoodheart

My initial reaction is your first choice of cross in circle. Have you looked at it under a loupe or magnifying glass? It may resolve it. Nice coin by the way. Great images. ?

28 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

My initial reaction is your first choice of cross in circle. Have you looked at it under a loupe or magnifying glass? It may resolve it. Nice coin by the way. Great images. ?

The problem is the mint and the chronology. The reverse and B plus trefoil puts this firmly at Durham under Bp. Laurence Booth who held the temporalities from 1457 to 1476 with short breaks when the king was p'd off with him. Lis was used on Henry VI restored pennies of York, and subsequently used in Ed. IV second reign with the lis  overmarked with a cross fitchee. This happened in about April 1471. According to Blunt and Whitton, the annulet mark was introduced at York in the autumn of 1471 and used through to about the middle of 1473, so we only have a 6 month window here for a die to remain unused on the shelf. The problem for Durham is that there are no lis marked coins, only trefoil, rose and pellet in annulet, which comes towards the end of the annulet period. That is why I considered York dies.

According to Martin Allen, The Durham Mint, B and trefoil by the neck are only found on types XIII through to XVa, but it is difficult to reconcile the evidence with a pellet in annulet which doesn't appear at Durham until 1473.

Looking for ways to shoot my argument down, it could be a poorly struck rose mark with a die flaw. The reverse legend is known to be combined on occasion with a rose mark and B plus trefoil. There appears to be a trace of a pellet above the left side of the crown. The Edward IV heavy coins had a pellet here, but that was 6-8 years previously. Allegedly the dies were sent from London at this time, so it would require the production of a previously unknown die that was sent to the wrong location. I don't normally get more than one number on the lottery, so the odds are against that. Durham is relatively poorly documented. :(

Need to think a bit harder and more logically. There is an answer - I just don't know what it is.

• Like 1

Picked up this beautiful 1886 Gothic Florin, very happy indeed. The top end grades are out of my price range so I'm aiming to collect with GVF - EF+ 

Any opinion on grade of this piece would be welcomed with thanks?  I'm new to this series as I would have usually collected pennies.

Cheers

Jamie

1886nef195 (1).jpg

• Like 2

This is (currently) my best veiled head HC, CGS 78 (UNC), hope it helps 

That is fabulous coin and photography

Bob (RLC) Thinking of you Buddy.Stay strong and be aware that across the pond you have great respect...even if you didn't like Haggis. I still won't eat McDonalds.

Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieB said:

Picked up this beautiful 1886 Gothic Florin, very happy indeed. The top end grades are out of my price range so I'm aiming to collect with GVF - EF+ 

Any opinion on grade of this piece would be welcomed with thanks?  I'm new to this series as I would have usually collected pennies.

Cheers

Jamie

1886nef195 (1).jpg

Unmistakably a Colin Cooke pic, GVF, NEF in places for me :) 

1 minute ago, scott said:

I have 5 new £1 coins

I wondered who was making them ;)

4 minutes ago, scott said:

I have 5 new £1 coins

Get a grip Scott

• Like 1

Henry VI Rosette-Mascle halfgroat of Calais with initial mark cross V. Ex Lockett 3118b

c2077 Henry VI Calais 2d R-M issue mm. cross V.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Henry VI Rosette-Mascle halfgroat of Calais with initial mark cross V. Ex Lockett 3118b

That's an excellent example Rob, ticks lots of boxes, newbie?

I have juggled things around and used it to tick the Calais mint box. It's a bit tame and probably should have used something a little more esoteric, but I had it to hand.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

I have juggled things around and used it to tick the Calais mint box. It's a bit tame and probably should have used something a little more esoteric, but I had it to hand.

I'm not so fussy about varieties (to day the least), A Calais H VI halfgroat would be enough for me (at this stage!) :)

Thats a real beauty Rob. Great coin and great pictures. ?

10 hours ago, Paulus said:

Unmistakably a Colin Cooke pic, GVF, NEF in places for me :) 

It sure is a Colin Cooke purchase, thanks Paulus for that.  

Jamie

Picked this up at Heritage last night. MS 62, total cost $70 including buyers premium and postage.

YUYCPC.jpg

yPHoNq.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely, nice hair detail. I have always liked this Victoria profile.

Looking at Jaggy's lovely sixpence above, I've just realized that the queens young head hair style on the shilling denominations and below is slightly different than that for the half crown and crown, everyday is a school day.

And then there were my recent DNW 'wins' - which I just got around to photographing - including this lovely 1878 sixpence:

Zh9jMY.jpg

ZupM1L.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like an incredibly 'clean' example Jaggy, upgrade or gap-filler?

Upgrade to my 1851-63 Gothic florin type courtesy of Rob, initial pics 

1852_02_ref_01405_01_2400.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

Looks like an incredibly 'clean' example Jaggy, upgrade or gap-filler?

Upgrade. 

When I looked at my existing example, I wasn't too happy with the quality and, specifically, the number of contact marks and scratches. This one is a lot cleaner.

On 02/04/2017 at 11:02 PM, Paulus said:

Upgrade to my 1851-63 Gothic florin type courtesy of Rob, initial pics 

1852_02_ref_01405_01_2400.jpg

Fantastic! I reckon it is not easy to find an example where the four crowns are as well striken as this one!