British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

1040644.jpg

1820 shilling with 0 over another 0

1040650.jpg

1040652.jpg

1040651.jpg

1040653.jpg

1040649.jpg

1040648.jpg

all the Halfpennies are from the same lot. still a few more I haven't uploaded.

there is something I spotted on the 1862 but noticed on the first 1861 afterwards, there is a dot above the rock on the 1862  (on the right) and a dot on the 1861 above the same rock, but slightly to the left. can't see them on those pictures though.

oh and what are the pairings for the 1861s?

Edited by scott

ESC 1746, 1885 sixpence. Unsure if the crown is a bit weak

1885 SP.jpg

Nice coin Leo! I don't think the crown is weak. It just reflects some very minor wear on the coin.

IMO, the orb atop the crown is not quite fully struck as is often the case. I think a nice coin and no problems really.

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

Nice coin Leo! I don't think the crown is weak. It just reflects some very minor wear on the coin.

Thank you. It could be wear or friction of course. The hair is very crisp and full of detail though, lovely to look at under the light.

I posted this in the toned silver thread but its my only recent acquisition of late. 1819 sixpence. The toning is far better in hand.

1819-sixpence.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice. I hadn't looked carefully at the design of the crown on top of the shield, it is unusual with those geometric shapes

I see, it's Thomas Wyon

1/4oz Queens beast Griffin

Attachment 1.jpg

That's some fine gold right there.

another of my guilty pleasures arrived

Attachment 2-1.jpg

It's been a while since I've been able to add anything here it's quite nice to start the New Year with an acquisition!  OK, not a perfect coin and it might not look much by milled standards, but I've been looking for an upgrade for this variety with the second (larger cross ends) reverse for eight years and it's an improvement on all my others with this bust, so I'm happy.  :D

S 2797, Sharp F5/2  5.83g  Updated photo using a phone camera.  Still not quite right but ..it will have to do!

F5_2%20revised%20S_zps1uphissl.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart
Updated photo
  • Like 6

Last weekend's acquisitions at the Midland Coin Fair, and not the best photos I'm afraid!

I was after a nice example of a William IV halfcrown in decent grade and ideally an 1835 or 1837, and I think this is a good honest coin of a scarce year, although the strike is weak in parts.  The seller let me have the 1902 Low Tide penny 'free' with the halfcrown!

I'd welcome the forum's thoughts on grade for these two.

O%20Halfcrown%201837_zpsx0fp3mgw.jpg

F%20Penny%201902%20LT_zps7bo1svtg.jpg

Edited by Stuntman
  • Like 1

As a hammered coin man I'm no milled expert, so I have a question about this recent purchase of mine, does anyone else think the E of DEI is over an A at all? or is my imagination running riot : )

000_9113.JPG

58 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Half crown GVF for me. Nice coin. :)

F for the penny.

Not an A looking at it. Maybe a bit of B? It's difficult to say, but I can't see any crossbar to make it the former.

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Last weekend's acquisitions at the Midland Coin Fair, and not the best photos I'm afraid!

I was after a nice example of a William IV halfcrown in decent grade and ideally an 1835 or 1837, and I think this is a good honest coin of a scarce year, although the strike is weak in parts.  The seller let me have the 1902 Low Tide penny 'free' with the halfcrown!

O%20Halfcrown%201837_zpsx0fp3mgw.jpg

F%20Penny%201902%20LT_zps7bo1svtg.jpg

Clearly F for the Penny, I'm struggling to go better than VF on the Halfcrown

EdTC2.jpg

Edward the Confessor Small Flan penny. Arngrim on York.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

Not an A looking at it. Maybe a bit of B? It's difficult to say, but I can't see any crossbar to make it the former.

Thanks, yeah B I can see that, I thought maybe an R? the crossbar is evident but that is probably the E....I question the A as that is recorded, does anyone have an image of what the E over A could (or should) look like?

6 minutes ago, coin watch said:

Thanks, yeah B I can see that, I thought maybe an R? the crossbar is evident but that is probably the E....I question the A as that is recorded, does anyone have an image of what the E over A could (or should) look like?

No, but it will probably be obvious with the angles seen under the E, and maybe a small protrustion on the top crossbar of the E where the tip of the A shows. The problem is that a messy strike with metal flow or a knackered or blocked die can result in you seeing things that really don't exist. Es in particulat at this time are often seen with the three limbs joined to produce an apparent B

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

No, but it will probably be obvious with the angles seen under the E, and maybe a small protrustion on the top crossbar of the E where the tip of the A shows. The problem is that a messy strike with metal flow or a knackered or blocked die can result in you seeing things that really don't exist. Es in particulat at this time are often seen with the three limbs joined to produce an apparent B

Thanks, I thought it was worth asking the question as I see there are so many over strikings in this series recorded, I can only guess they must all be obvious on clear crisp coins? I think a clear image of a known one would help?

Acquired at Heritage today. Charles II, 1677 sixpence, graded AU58.

2xzw81.jpg

8NVmIS.jpg

• Like 5

Bought around Christmas, arrived yesterday.

FullSizeRender.jpg

That is a beautiful coin...no more no less.WOW

With reference to The Standard Guide to Grading British Pre-decimal Issues the William IV halfcrown obverse is VF while the obverse is just a tad above VF with a weakly struck center shield which is typical for this issue.. The Edward penny is F on the obverse and GF on the reverse.